- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Study on the Development of Tools for Measurement of Consumers' Brand Experience Inside and Outside a Fashion Brand Store at a Large Shopping Center
소비자의 대형 쇼핑센터 내 패션브랜드 매장 내·외부에서의 브랜드 체험 측정도구 개발에 관한 연구
- Lee, Jin Hwa (Dept. of Clothing & Textiles, Pusan National University) ;
- Kim, Jeong Hee (Dept. of Fashion Kookje University)
- Received : 2015.05.22
- Accepted : 2015.08.15
- Published : 2015.08.31
This quantitative study helps develop a measurement tool for consumer experiences inside and outside of a fashion brand store in a large shopping center along with a previous qualitative study that utilized a consumer interview. An expert group interview was conducted to verify the result of the previous qualitative study. Subjects were selected through convenient sampling. A self-administered questionnaire was developed to collect the data. We used 666 questionnaires for data analysis. To analyze data, reliability analysis, factor analysis, correlation analysis and measurement equivalence verification were conducted with a statistical package of SPSS 21.0 and Amos 18.0. We used 27 questions in 8 factors for consumer experience inside of the fashion brand store: fashion product, VMD, salesperson responsiveness, salesperson specialty, salesperson's special treatment, salesperson's respect for customers, and positive/negative emotion. We used 27 questions concerning seven factors for the consumer experience outside of a fashion brand store that encompasses a large shopping center: experience with brand and product category diversity, experience with promotion and event, esthetic experience, experience with culture and entertainment, experience with recreational behavior, experience with reputation and sense of pride, and experience with customers.
consumer experience;development of measurement tool;qualitative & quantitative study;fashion brand store;large shopping center
- Pine, B., & Gilmore, J. (2001). The experience economy.: Work is theatre ＆ every business a stage, Boston, MS. Harvard Business School Press. (Shin, H. S. Trans.). Seoul: Sejong Books. (Original work published 1998)
- Sameer, H., & David, G. (2009). Dimensions of tourists emotional experiences towards hedonic holiday destinations. London: The School of Management, Royal Holloway University of London.
- Schmitt, B. (2002). Experiential marketing: How to get customers to sense, feel, think, act, and relate to your company and brands (Park. S. Y., & Youn, S. J., & Hong, S. T.). Seoul: Sejong Books. (Original work published 1999)
- Schmitt, B. (2003). Customer experiential management: A revolutionary approach to connection with your customers. Hoboken, New York: Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Shin, S. M., & Kim, D. H. (2010). A study on the experiential marketing effect on brand equity-Focus on brand ambassador for public relations. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 34(2), 242-251. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2010.34.2.242
- Suh, K. W., & Min, H. C. (2009). The experience and consumer attitude in the cultural complex type retail store. Seoul Urban Studies, 10(4), 143-158.
- Churchill, G. A. (1979). A paradigm for developing better measures of marketing constructs. Journal of Marketing Research, 16(2), 64-73. https://doi.org/10.2307/3150876
- Crosby, L. A., Evans, K. R., & Cowles, D. (1990). Relationship quality in selling: An interpersonal influence perspectives. Journal of Marketing, 54(3), 68-81. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251817
- Ercan, Z. M. A. (2007). Public spaces of post-industrial cities and their changing roles. Middle East Technical University Journal of the Faculty of Architecture, 24(1), 115-137.
- Fan, Q. K., Kim, W. K., & Cui, G. (2010). Influence of marketing mix on customer's attitude and purchase intention-Mediating effects of customer experiences. The Korea Contents Society, 10(8), 292-300.
- Holbrook, M. B., & Hirschman, E. C. (1982). The experiential aspects of consumption: Consumer fantasies, feelings, and fun. Journal of Consumer Research, 9(2), 132-140. https://doi.org/10.1086/208906
- Hong, S. J., & Park, J. C. (2009). Relationship between experience components and store performance in mobile industry. Journal of Product Research, 27(1), 109-121.
- Huh, J. Y. (2006). The impacts of in-store sensory experience on the emotional reaction, store attitude, brand attitude and purchase intention of customers. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Kim, W. S., & Huh, E. J. (2007). A study of the core characteristics and contribution of consumer experiential marketing. Journal of the Korean Association of Human Ecology, 16(1), 89-101. doi: 10.5934/KJHE.2007.16.1.089 https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2007.16.1.089
- Kim, J. S., & Han, S. P. (2009). Influence of experience type on consumer-brand relationship and brand equity at flagship store of clothes. Journal of the Korean Consumer and Advertising Psychology, 10(2), 209-227.
- Park, H. H., & Jeon, J. O. (2007). A study on the latest trend and type analysis of fashion brand's retail space-Focused on retail space of world prestige brand. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 9(1), 72-80.
- Park, S. K., Park, J. H., & Cha, T. H. (2007). Effects of experience on enjoyment, satisfaction, and revisit intention: Pine and Gilmore's experience economy perspective, Advertising Research, Autumn, 56-78
- Park, S. Y., & Hwang, J. E. (2005). Effect of in-store experience on brand attitude and purchase intention, Ewha Management Review, 23(2), 70-93.
- Park, S. Y., & Bae, H. K. (2006). Sensory experience effect on store attitude and loyalty: The mediation role of emotion and satisfaction. Journal of Korean Marketing Association, 11(3), 1-13.
- Akyildiz, M., & Argan, M. (2010). Factors of Leisure Experience: a study of Turkish festival participants. Studies in Physical Culture & Tourism, 17(4), 385-389.
- An, K. H., Hwang, S. J., & Jung, C. J. (2010). Fashion marketing (3rd ed.). Seoul: Suhaksa.
- Brakus, J. J., Schmitt, H. B., & Zarantonello, L. (2009). Brand experience: What is it? How is it measured? Does it affect loyalty?. Journal of Marketing, 73(3), 52-68.
- Baudrillard, J. (1983). In the shadow of the silent majorities. New York: Semiotext(e).
- Boswijk, A., Thijssen, J. P., & Peelen, E. (2005). A new perspective on the experience economy: Meaningful experiences. Amsterdam: Pearson Education.
- Chang, P. L., & Chieng, M. H. (2006). Building consumer-brand relationship: A cross-cultural experiential view. Psychology & Marketing, 23(11), 927-959. https://doi.org/10.1002/mar.20140
- Chang, D. R., & Koh, A. R. (2005). Fashion marketing status and strategy: Experience marketing in the fashion industry. Fashion Information and Technology, 2, 59-69.
- Kim, J. W., & Kim, I. (2011). The effects of VMD and in-store experience of brand flagship stores on brand attitude and intent of purchase. Journal of the Korean Society of Fashion Design, 11(4), 25-39.
- Lee, S. Y. (2002). The effect of store shopping experience on store attitude : in the department and discount store shopping environment. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Lee, W. K. (2007). Emotional experience with services: their determinants and consequences. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Lee, J. Y. (2003). A theoretical review on consumers brand experience and its practical implications. Journal of the Korean Society of Consumer Studies, 14(2), 215-242.
- Lee, K. Y., Baek, J. H., & Park, K. D. (2010). Effects of consumers' experience of brand shop on brand equity. Korean Journal of Communication Studies, 18(2), 83-103.
- LeHew, M. L., & Wesley, S. C. (2007). Tourist shoppers' satisfaction with regional shopping mall experiences. International Journal of Culture, Tourism and Hospitality Research, 1(1), 82-96.
- Maslow, A. (1994). Religion, values and peak experiences. New York: Penguin Compass.
- Meyer, C., & Schwager, A. (2007). Understanding customer experience. Harvard business review, February, 117-126.
- Moon, H. K., Youn, C. R., Park, J. E., & Lee, Y. R. (2008). The effects of perceived experiential marketing activity on consumers attitude toward apparel brands. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 10(2), 181-190.
- Myers, M. B., Calantone, R. J., Page, T. J., & Taylor, C. R. (2000). Academic insights: An application of multiple-group casual models in assessing cross-cultural measurement equivalence. Journal of International Marketing, 8(4), 108-121. https://doi.org/10.1509/jimk.126.96.36.19990
- Ko, S. H., & Lee, Y. S. (2008). The effect of clothing brand experience on consumer-brand relationship and brand loyalty. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 32(1), 55-65. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2008.32.1.055
- Knutson, B. J., & Beck, J. A. (2003). Identifying the dimensions of the experience construct: Development of the model. Journal of Quality Assurance in Hospitality and Tourism, 4(3/4), 23-35. https://doi.org/10.1300/J162v04n01_02
- Suh, E. K., & Lee, S. J. (2008). Focused on middle, old aged women: A study of effects on long-term relationship orientation of women's experiential fashion marketing. The Journal of the Korean Society of Costumes, 58(3), 34-48.
- Wakefield, K. L., & Baker, J. (1998). Excitement at the mall: Determinants and effects on shopping response. Journal of Retailing, 74(4), 515-539. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4359(99)80106-7
- Weitz, B. A., & Bradford, K. D. (1999). Personal selling and sales management: A relationship marketing perspective. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 27(2), 241-254. https://doi.org/10.1177/0092070399272008
- Wu, J. P. (2012). Structural equation modeling concepts and understanding. Seoul: Hannarae Publishing Co.
- Yan, R. N., & Eckman, M. (2009). Are lifestyle centres unique? Consumers' perceptions across locations. International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management, 37(1), 24-42. https://doi.org/10.1108/09590550910927144
- Zarantonello, L., Schmitt, B., & Brakus, J. J. (2007). Development of the brand experience scale. Advances in Consumer Research, 34, 580-582.