- Volume 20 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
An Empirical Study of Discontinuous Use Intention on SNS: From a Perspective of Society Comparison Theory
사회비교이론 관점에서 살펴본 SNS 이용중단 의도
- Received : 2015.07.28
- Accepted : 2015.08.19
- Published : 2015.08.31
Social networking sites (SNS), such as Facebook, provide abundant social comparison opportunities. Given the widespread use of SNSs, the purpose of the present study was to examine the impact of exposure to social media-based social comparison on user's negative emotions and discontinuous use intention on SNS. We present evidence that under the use of SNS, social comparison activities diverge into three patterns, with explicit self-evaluation desire made against similar target (lateral comparison), self-defense desire made against less fortunate target (downward comparison), and self-enhancement desire made with more fortunate target (upward comparison). Such social comparison processes frequently arise, as people are increasingly using on SNSs, the downward contacts ameliorating self-esteem with positive emotions, but the upward contacts and standard contacts with lateral status enabling a person to compare his or her situation with others and simultaneously increase negative emotions due to its differences with others. In other words, as people increasingly relying on SNSs for a variety of everyday tasks, they risk overexposure to upward or standard social comparison information that may have a cumulative detrimental impact on future intention on SNS use. This study with survey with 209 SNS users found that these negative emotions lead to negative fatigue (attitude) and then discontinuous use intention (behavior) on SNS. Our findings are among the first to explicitly examine discontinuous use intention on SNS using social comparison theory and our results are consistent with those of past research showing that upward social comparisons can be detrimental.
- Aspinwall, L. G. and Taylor S. E., "Effects of social comparison direction, threat and self-esteem on affect, self-evaluation and expected success," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 64, No. 5, pp. 708-722, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1688
- Bae, P. B. and Jan, H., "Why People Use Social Networking Sites," Online Communities and Social Computing Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 5621, pp. 143-152, 2009.
- Baik, I. S., "The Effect of The Social Comparison against Appearance Management Working People's Appearance Information Conjugate Appearance Management and Fashion Product Purchases," Jooang University-Phd Dissertation, 2007.
- Chae, R. B., "A Study on Negative Emotions Using SNS such as FaceBook," SookMyung University, 2013.
- Chebat, J. C. and Sluasrczyk, W., "How emotions mediate the effects of perceived justice on loyalty in service recovery situation: An empirical study," Journal of Business Research, Vol. 58, No. 5, pp. 664-673, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2003.09.005
- Chosun Newspaper, reported by Choi, Y. J., Happiness droppred when Facebook friends are over 354, http://news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2012/02/17/2012021701103.html, 2012.
- Cohen, J., Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences, Routledge Academic, 2013.
- Ellison, N., Heino, R., and Gibbs, J., "Managing impressions online: Self-presentation processes in the online dating environment," Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication Vol. 11, pp. 415-444, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1083-6101.2006.00020.x
- Festinger, L., "A theory of social comparison processes," Human relations, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 117-140, 1954. https://doi.org/10.1177/001872675400700202
- Fornell, C. and Larcker, D. F., "Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error," Journal of marketing research, pp. 39-50, 1981.
- Gartner, "Gartner survey highlights consumer fatigue with social media," http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/1766814, 2011.
- Gefen, D., Straub, D., and Boudreau, M. C., "Structural equation modeling and regression: Guidelines for research practice," Communications of the association for information systems, Vol. 4, No. 1, 2000.
- Goethals, G. R., "Social Comparison Theory," Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 261-278, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1177/0146167286123001
- Greenberg, L. S. and Paivio, S., "Fear and anxiety," Working with emotions: Changing core schemes, pp. 194-227, 1997.
- Ham, J. Y., Yoo, H. S., Ji, S. H., and Lee, J. N., "Social Network Service, Corporate SNS Account, Emotional Factor, Habit, Continuous Intension," Knowledge Management Research, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 35-56, 2014.
- Han, D. W., "Effects of Goal-setting for Social Comparison and Success/Failure Experiences upon Choice of Comparison Target," Korean Journal of Psychology, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 311-329, 1999.
- Han, D. W. and Jang, E. Y., "Effect of Success / Failure Feedback , Goal-setting for Social Comparison and Comparison Target upon Experiences of Self-Relevant Agitation Emotion," Korean Journal of Psychology, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 109-123, 2000.
- Han, D. W. and Jang, E. Y., "Social Comparison in Korea," ParkYongSa, 2007.
- Helegeson, V. S. and Taylor, S. E., "Social comparisons and adjustment among cardiac patients," Journal of Applied Social Psychology, Vol. 23, pp. 1171-1195, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.1993.tb01027.x
- Inman, J. J. and Zeelenberg, M., "Regret in repeat purchase versus Switching Decisions: The Attenuating Role of Decision Justifiability," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 166-128, 2002.
- Jang, E. Y. and Han, D. W., "Effects of Social Comparison Goal, Target, and Outcome on Self-relevant Emotions," Korean Journal of Psychology, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 127-153, 2004.
- Jelenchick, L. A., Eickhoff, J. C., and Moreno, M. A., "Facebook depression?, Social networking site use and depression in older adolescents," Journal of Adolescent Health, Vol. 52, No. 1, pp. 128-130, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2012.05.008
- Jung, H. S., "Determinant Factors of Innovation Resistance of Social Media," The Journal of Korean Contents Society, Vol. 13, No. 6, pp. 158-166, 2013.
- Jung, O. B., Jung, S. H., and I, J. H. "Emotional Development and Emotional Intelligence," Hackjisa, 2007.
- Kim, K. D., Kim, H. J., and Bae, Y., "Exploring the Concept and Determinants of SNS(Social Network Service) Fatigue," Information and Society, Vol. 26, 2013.
- Kim, S. J. and Kim, T. Y., "How the Emotion of SNS Contents Influence the Users' Affective States: Focused on Facebook Newsfeed Pages," Cyber Communication, Vol. 29, No. 1, p. 5, 2012.
- Kim, S. Y. and Kim, K. S., "Beyond Risk and Benefit: Heuristic Effect of Experienced Affect on Acceptance of Nuclear Power Stations," The International Review of Pubic Administration, Vol. 41, No. 3, pp. 373-398, 2007.
- Kim. Y. J., "Facebook and Gratification," Gender and Culture, Vol. 20, p. 71, 2011.
- Kross, E., Verduyn, P., Demiralp, E., Park, J., Lee, D. S., Lin N., Shablack, H., Jonides, J., and Ybarra, O., "Facebook use predicts declines in subjective well-being in young adults," PloS one, Vol. 8, No. 8, 2013.
- Kulik, J. A. and Mahler, H. I. M., "Stress and affiliation in a hospital setting: Preoperative roommate preference," Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, Vol. 15, pp. 183-193, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1177/0146167289152005
- Lee, H. J. and Jung, D. H., "Discontinuance intention around Facebook and Twitter," Korean Media Press, Vol. 57, No. 4, pp 269-293, 2013.
- Lee, H. S., Lim, D. W., and Jo, H. J., "Personal Information Overload and User Resistance in the Big Data Age," Journal of intelligence and Information Systems, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 125-139, 2013. https://doi.org/10.13088/JIIS.2013.19.1.125
- Lee, H. S. and Lim, J. H., "Structural Relationships between Consumption Emotion, Satisfaction, and Product Attitudes," Business Research, Vol. 30, No. 4, pp. 1115-1142, 2001.
- Miller, G., "Hypotheses on measure: The reputation: Alliance choices and the shadow of the past," Security Studies, Vol. 12, No. 3 pp. 40-78, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1080/09636410390443035
- Nunnally, J., Psychometric Methods, McGraw Hill, New York, 1967.
- Park, J. K., "Development and Validation of Social Network Service Adoption Factor Scales," Communication Theory, Vol. 7, No. 2, p. 22, 2011.
- Park, K. J., Yoo, I., and Lee, Y. H., "A Study on the Negative Emotion of Using Social Networking Services and Its Discontinuance Intention," Knowledge Management Research, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 89-106, 2014.
- Park, S. W., "Why does the political polarization continue in SNS?-Focusing on the subject of the communication, the reliability of the information in the types of SNS and the trust of other people," Social Science Research, Vol. 30, No. 1, p. 235, 2014.
- Pavlou, P. A. and Gefen, D., "Building effective Online Marketplaces with Institution Based Trust," Information System Research, Vol. 15, No. 1 pp. 37-59, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.1040.0015
- Rainie, L., Smith, A., and Duggan, M., "Coming and going on Facebook," Pew Internet Report, 2013.
- Rogers, E. M., "Diffusion of innovations," Free Press, New York, 2003.
- Salovey, P. and Rodin, J., "Some antecedents and consequences of social comparison jealousy," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 47, No. 4, pp. 780-792, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1240
- Schachter, S., "The psychology of affiliation: Experimental studies of the sources of gregariousness," Stanford University Press, 1959.
- Shin, K. A., "Study on public's communicative motivation: extension of the situational theory of problem solving with negative emotion and need for closure," Hanyang University-Phd Dissertation, 2013.
- Smith, R. H., "Assimilative and contrastive emotional reactions to upward and downward social comparisons," In Handbook of social comparison pp. 173-200. Springer US, 2000.
- Stankovic, M., Passant, A., and Laublet, P., "Directing status messages to their audience in online communities," Coordination, Organizations, Institutions and Norms in Agent Systems V, pp. 195-210. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2010.
- Steenkamp, J. E. and Van Trijp, H. C., "The use of LISREL in validating marketing constructs," International Journal of Research in marketing, Vol. 8, No. 4 pp. 283-299, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-8116(91)90027-5
- Sung, N. H., "Darkness of the digital world," LG Business insight weekly focus, pp. 35-45, 2011.
- Sung, Y. S. and Park, E. A., "Emotional patterns on Advertising," The Journal of Advertising, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 7-49, 1995.
- Tandoc, E. C., Ferrucci, P., and Duffy, M., "Facebook use, envy, and depression among college students: Is facebooking depressing?," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 43, pp. 139-146, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2014.10.053
- Taylor, S. E., Wayment, H. A., Carrillo, M. S., and Richard, M. (Ed), "Higgins, E. Tory (Ed), social comparison, selfregulation, and motivation," Handbook of motivation and cognition, pp. 3-27 Guilford Press, 1996.
- Wheeler, L., "Individual differences in social comparison," In J. Suls and L. Wheeler (Eds.), Handbook of social comparison: Theory and Research, pp. 141-158, New York: Plenum, 2000.
- Wheeler, L. and Miyake, K., "Social Comparison in Everyday Life In," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 62, No. 5, p. 760, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1990
- Wise, K., Alhabash, S., and Park, H., "Emotional Responses During Social Information Seeking on Facebook," Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, Vol. 13, No. 5, pp. 555-562, 2010.
- Wills, T. A., "Downward comparison principles in social psychology," Psychological Bulletin, Vol. 90, No. 2, pp. 245-271, 1981. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.90.2.245
- Wood, J. V., Taylor, S. E., and Lightman, R. R., "Social comparison in adjustment to breast chance," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 49, No. 5, pp. 1169-1183, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.529
- Yoon, Y. S. and Lee, K. Y., "The Impact of Users' Satisfaction and Habits in Customer Loyalty to Continue the Mobile Social Network Service," The Journal of Society for e-Business Studies, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 123-143, 2010.
- Zeelenberg, M. and Peters, R., "Beyond Valentin Customer Dissatisfaction: A Review and New Findings On Behavioral responses to Regret and Disappointment in Failed Services," Journal of Business Research, Vol. 54, No. 4, pp. 445-455, 2004.
- To Be Connected or Not To Be Connected? Mobile Messenger Overload, Fatigue, and Mobile Shunning vol.19, pp.10, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1089/cyber.2016.0236