- Volume 29 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Nutritional Risk, Stress, and Health related Quality of Life among Older Women with a Foreign Daughter-in-Law
외국인 며느리를 둔 여성노인의 영양위험, 스트레스 및 건강관련 삶의 질
- Park, Mikyung (College of Nursing, Catholic University of Daegu) ;
- Sung, Kiwol (College of Nursing, Catholic University of Daegu)
- Received : 2015.03.17
- Accepted : 2015.07.31
- Published : 2015.08.31
Purpose: This study addressed the relationship among nutritional risk, stress, and health related quality of life for older women with a foreign daughter-in-law. Methods: A descriptive research design was used for this study. The subjects of this study were 112 older women with a foreign daughter-in-law all of whom were over 65 years and living in D city. Personal interview was used for data collection. Nutritional risk, stress, and health related quality of life were measured using Nutrition Screening Initiative (NSI), Family Inventor of Life Events and Changes (FILE), and Medical Outcome Study (MOS) Short-form 36-Item Health Survey (SF-36), respectively. Results: Older women with a foreign daughter-in-law showed negative correlation between quality of life related health and nutritional risk, stress and age, and positive correlation between Activities of Daily Living (ADL); 46% of variance in health related quality of life of older women with a foreign daughter-in-law was explained by nutritional risk, ADL, stress and occupation. Conclusion: Based on the results of this study, we suggested that specialized programs should be established to help in development of social relationship networks for older women who have a foreign daughter-in-law.
- Choi, J. S. (2010). Factors affection the depression and quality of life of vulnerable elderly receiving fitting home visiting health service. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Daegu Haany University, Gyeongbuk.
- Chung, S. D. & Lee, H. J. (2010). A phenomenological study on the experience of mothers-in-law who have foreign daughters in law; Focused on seoul city residents. Korean Journal of Family Social Work, 28, 5-36.
- Faul, F., Erdfelder, E., Buchner, A., & Lang, A. G. (2009). Statistical power analyses using G*Power 3.1: Tests for correlation and regression analyses. Behavior Research Methods. 41(4), 149-1160. http://dx.doi.org/10.3758/brm.41.4.1149
- Furman, E. F. (2006). Undernutrition in older adults across the continuum of care: nutritional assessment, barriers, and intervention. Journal of Gerentologic Nursing, 32(1), 22-27. https://doi.org/10.3928/0098-9134-20060101-11
- Gallagher-Allred, C. R., Voss, A. C., Finn, S. C., & McCamish, M. A. (1996). Malnutrition and clinical outcomes: The case for medical nutrition therapy. Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 96(4), 361-6, 369. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-8223(96)00099-5
- Gombos T. M., Kertesz K., Csikos G., Soderhamn U., Soderhamn O., & Prohaszka Z. N. (2008) Nutritional form for the elderly is a reliable and valid instrument for the determination of undernutrition risk, and it is associated with health-related quality of life. Nutrition Research, 28(2), 59-65. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nutres.2007.12.003
- Hong, M. J. (2002). The relationship among perceived stress, the ways of coping, and life satisfaction in the older. Unpublished master's thesis, Kosin University, Busan.
- Jung, Y. M. & Kim, J. H. (2004). Comparison of cognitive levels, nutritional status, depression in the older according to living situations. Journal Korean Academy of Nursing, 34(3), 495-503. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2004.34.3.495
- Kim, E. H. (2009). Effect of the acquisition of food and nutrition information on the application for their diets in female adults-Focusing on parts of the gyeonggi area-. Unpublished master's thesis, KyungHee University, Seoul.
- Kim, E. H., Lee, E. J., Kim, M. J., Park, D. Y., & Lee, S. H. (2010). Effects of an educational program of pregnancy and delivery on pregnancy related knowledge, newborn care knowledge, and postpartum care self-efficacy of marriage immigrant women. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 40(1), 78-87. http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2010.40.1.78 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2010.40.1.78
- Kim, K. H., Park, G. S., & Sun, J. J. (2009) Stress of mothers-in-law from multi-cultural families. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, 21(6), 639-651.
- Ko, H. J. (2010). A study on the dietary habits and nutritional knowledge of marriage immigrant females in gwangju and chonnam province. Unpublished master's thesis, Chonnam National University, Chonnam.
- Koh, S. B., Chang, S. J., Kang, M. G., Cha, B. S., & Park, J. K. (1997). Reliability and validity on measurement instrument for health status assessment in occupational workers. Journal of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, 30(2), 251-265.
- Korea Immigration Service Statistics. (2014). Status of Marriage Immigrants. Retrieved December, 31, 2013, from http://www.immigration.go.kr
- Lee, H. J. (2007). A study on the acculturative stress of elder people in rural community who have a foreign daughter in law. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Lee, M. S. (2012). Nutritional risk, perceived health status, and depression of the young-old and the old-old in low-income elderly women. Journal of Agricultural Medicine and Community Health, 37(1), 12-22. https://doi.org/10.5393/JAMCH.2012.37.1.012
- Lee, S. N. & Lee, H. S. (2014). Adaptation living in korea of marriage immigrant women. Journal of Community Welfare. 49, 105-136. http://dx.doi.org/10.15300/jcw.2014.49.2.105 https://doi.org/10.15300/jcw.2014.49.2.105
- Lee, Y. J. & Kim. T. H. (1999). A study on the buffering effect of social support on the stress of the older who lives alone. Journal of the Korea Gerontological society, 19(3), 79-93.
- Nam, G. W. (2005). The effect of health behavior, nutrition status and nutrition knowledge on the quality of life for older people in Korea aging Society; Focusing on precede proceed model. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Kyonggi University, Gyeonggido.
- Park, J. E., Kim, C. N., & Kwon, Y. H. (2010). Elder's health status quality of life, and satisfaction with customized home visiting health service depending on connection to volunteerism. Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, 21(4), 448-457. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2010.21.4.448
- Park, M. J. (2012). A study on quality of life of elderly women living with a foreign daughter-in-law. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Baekseok University, Chungnam.
- Posner, B. M., Jette, A. M., Smith, K. W., & Miller, D. R. (1993). Nutrition and health risk in the elderly : the nutrition screening initiative. American Journal of Public Health. 83(7), 972-978. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.83.7.972
- Seol, D. H., Lee, H. K., & Cho, S. N. (2006, December). Marriage-based immigrants and their families in korea: current status and policy measures(2006-55). Seoul: Ministry of Gender Equality & Family.
- Shin, G. Y. & Kim, E. K. (2014). Factors associated with health-related quality of life in vulnerable elderly women. Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing. 28(3), 419-431. http://dx.doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2014.28.3.419 https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2014.28.3.419
- Son, S. H. (1998). Differences in cognitive function and activities of daily living between two groups with and without depression among patients with senile dementia. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Ware, J. E. J. & Sherbourne, C. D. (1992). The MOS 36-item short-form health survey (SF-36): Conceptual framework and item selection. Medical Care, 30(6), 473-483. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005650-199206000-00002
- Woo, S. Y. (2010). A study about the dietary life conditions of daegu international immigrant women. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Daegu Haany University, Kyoungbuk.
- Yim, E. S. & Lee, K. J. (2003). Effect of physical ability, depression and social support on quality of life in low income elders living at home. Journal of Korean Gerontological Nursing, 5, 38-49.
- Yim, K. S. (2007). Health related behavioral factors associated with nutritional risks in Korean aged 50years and over. Korean Society of Community Nutrition, 12(5), 592-605.
- Yu, H. H. & Kim, I. S. (2002). Health status, dietary patterns and living habits of the elderly in Jeon-ju. Nutritional Sciences, 5(2), 91-102.