- Volume 13 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Game and Mandala on the Attention of School-aged Children
게임 및 만다라의 융복합적 접근이 학령기 아동의 주의 집중력에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Soo-Han (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Kaya University) ;
- Kim, Ko-Un (Dept. of Rehabilitation Science, The Graduate School of Daegue University)
- Received : 2015.06.01
- Accepted : 2015.08.20
- Published : 2015.08.28
Purpose: The purpose of this study was designed to find out the effect of game and mandala convergence approach on the attention ability of the with school aged children. Method : The subjects of study were 30 children(11 male, 19 female) with school aged children who were attending in A, B community children center located in B city. The intervention was administered for 4 weeks : 3 times a weeks and 12 sessions in total. They were separated into a mandala group(n=10), game group(n=10) and control group(n=10). The experimental group was provided game and mandala program for 4 weeks. Each group examined though FAIR attention and concentration test. Result : The results of this study showed that the game and mandala program was effective to improved attention ability of the school aged children. Conclusion: This study concludes that game and mandala program had effect on the improvement of children's attention.
- M. M. Choi, Development and Effectiveness of Group Program for Improving Interpersonal Relationship of School Age Children, Journal of the Korean society of child welfare. Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 67-97, 2000.
- H. Y. Cho, Effects of game activities which influence school age's sociality and peer relationships, Asian Journal of Child Welfare and Development. Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 1-24, 2007.
- A. T. Bhutta, M. A. Cleves, P. H. Casey, M. M.Cradock, K. J. S. Anand, Cognitive and behavioral outcomes of school-aged children who were born preterm: a meta-analysis, Jama, Vol. 288, No. 6, pp. 728-737, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.288.6.728
- Eun-Ok Lee, A Study on the Effects of Writing Book Reports Using a Peer Tutoring Writing Skills Improvement of the Student with Severe learning Disability, Master dissertation. Chonnam National University. 2015.
- Eun-Kyung Lee, A Study on the Improvement of the Attention and Task Performance Abilities of Children with Learning Disabilities through After-School Musical Activities in School, Master dissertation, Ewha Wonans University. 2008.
- J. Biederman, J. Newcorn, S. Sprich, Comorbidity of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, American journal of psychiatry, Vol. 148, No. 5, pp. 564-577, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1176/ajp.148.5.564
- S. S. Zentall, S. D. Falkenberg, L. B. Smith, Effects of color stimulation and information on the copying performance of attention-problem adolescents, Journal of abnormal child psychology, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 501-511, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00923137
- Sin-Reyon Lee, The Effect of Attention Play Programs on Changes and Maladjustment to ADHD Children's Behaviors, Master dissertation, Dong-A University. 2004.
- Jae-Sook Lee, The Effects of Mediated Learning Experience(MLE) through Feuerstein's Instrumental Enrichment(FIE) Program on Selective Attention and Sustained Attention of children with ADHD, Master dissertation, Dankook University. 2006.
- D. H. Han, Y. S. Lee, C. Na, J. Y. Ahn, U. S. Chung, M. A. Daniels, P. F. Renshaw, The effect of methylphenidate on Internet video game play in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, Comprehensive psychiatry. Vol. 50, No. 3, pp. 251-256, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.comppsych.2008.08.011
- J. H. Han, S. Y. Chun. The Effect of Group Art Therapy Using Korean Painting Medium on the Attention of Elementary Students. Korean Journal of Art Therapy. Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 359-378, 2013.
- K. M. Kim, N. Y. Bae, The Effect of Aerobic Exercise on Attention and Hyper-Activity for Students with ADHD, Journal of Emotional & Behavioral disorders, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 127-142, 2007.
- Hye-sook Lee, The effects of Yoga on the attention of the children with ADHD. Master dissertation, Yong-in University. 2006.
- C. E. Schaefer, S. E. Reid, (Eds.), Game play: Therapeutic use of childhood games, John Wiley & Sons. 2004.
- T. M. Hall, H. G. Kaduson, C. E. Schaefer, Fifteen effective play therapy techniques. Professional Psychology, Research and Practice, Vol. 33, No. 6. pp. 151, 2002.
- B. Kim, K. Chae, The Effect of Cognitive- Behavioral Play Therapy on Enhancement of Emotional Intelligence and Mental Health in Children with Low Emotional Intelligence, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 145-160, 2012.
- Jae-Wook Kim, The Effect of Therapy Program on Attention Problem of Children with Mental Retradation, Master dissertation, Chosun University. 2006.
- Rubin, J. A. Art therapy: An introduction. Psychology Press. 1999.
- D. Y, Kim, E. Y. Choi, M. Y. Kim, The Case Study of Art Therapy on Autistic Child, The Korean Journal of Rehabilitation Psychology. Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 229-249, 2001.
- C. T. Cox, B. M. Cohen, Mandala artwork by theoretical models, Art Therapy, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 195-201, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1080/07421656.2000.10129701
- H. S. Choi, W. S. Choi. The Effects of Group Art Therapy using Mandalas Improving the Emotional Intelligence of Children. Korean Journal of Art Therapy. Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 291-318, 2012.
- E. J Park, J. H. Park,. The Effects of Mandala Group Art Therapy on the Self-identity of middle school Youth. Korean Journal of Art Therapy. Vol. 19, No. 5, pp. 1241-1261, 2012.
- H. Moosbrugger, J. Oehlschlagel, FAIR Frankfurter Aufmerksamkeits-Inventar [Frankfurt Attention Inventory]. Bern: Huber. 1996.
- Hyun-Sook Oh, FAIR Attention and Concentration Test. Seoul : JungAng Aptitude Test Institute. 2002.
- Sang-Dong Kwak, The Effects of Natural Sound Meditation Music on the Improvement of The Elementary School Students' Attentions, Master dissertation, Changwon National University. 2006.
- K. H. Lee, J. S. Park, Effects of a Visual and Auditory Response Training Program Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity of Children with Tendency of ADHD, Journal of Emotional & Behavioral disorders, Vol. 26, No. 3, pp. 1-15, 2010.
- J. D. Ahn, N. I. Han, J. W. Kim. Concentration Variation through Sport Talented Children's Training Program, The Journal of the Korea Contents Association. Vol. 12, No. 8. pp. 343-354, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.08.343
- M. H. Yun, K. S. Kil, The Effects of Group Game Play Program on ADHD-Liked Children's Executive Function, Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association. Vol. 47, No. 4, pp. 25-35, 2009.
- Hyun Ja Park, The Effects of Traditional Play on the Social Competence of Autistic Children in Integrated Elementary School, Master dissertation, Dankook university. 2003.
- Soo-A Jo, The Effects of the Mandala Program on The Elementary School Student's Concentration and Attention. Master dissertation, Ulsan University. 2010.
- Y. H. Kim, A Study on the Effect of an Enneagram and Group Art Therapy Program on Attention and Self-Esteem of Children of Broken Family, Journal of Ennegram Studies. Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 87-104, 2010.
- E. H. Park, A case Study on Effects of Game Play Therapy on Changes in ADHD Child's Attention Behaviors and Self-Esteem. Master dissertation, Dague University. 2004.
- Y. H. Jeong, B. I. Lee, The Effects of Structured Board Games ADHD on Elementary School Children's Attention Ability, Children with special education needs. Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 53-94, 2008.
- S. M. Nam, M. H. Son, Influence of game play program upon attention of children with attention deficit disorder, The Journal of Play Therapy Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 57-75, 2011.
- O. Pykhtina, M. Balaam, G. Wood, S. Pattison, P. Olivier, Designing for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in Play Therapy: the case of Magic Land. 2012.
- E. J. Jeong, K. S. Jeong, The Effects of Art Therapy Applied Games on Learning Concentration of a Slow Learner, Korean Journal of Art Therapy, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 571-585, 2010.