- Volume 10 Issue 4
Insulation coordination is a key problem in UHVDC systems in terms of safety and cost. Although high-voltage ±1100kV UHVDC projects are being planned in China, the characteristics and key points of high-voltage systems have not yet been analyzed. This study aims to improve the safe, effective operation of these high-voltage power transmission systems. First, we analyzed two typical insulation coordination schemes used in ±800kV UHVDC systems in China. Next, we used the two typical ±800kV insulation coordination schemes as a reference to analyze the ±1100kV UHVDC system. Finally, we compared these schemes and proposed an effective insulation coordination solution, as well as developing principles for ±1100kV UHVDC systems. Our findings indicate that the points enduring the highest voltage in the system should be protected separately by special arresters. Our analysis of the insulation coordination of ±800kV and ±1100kV UHVDC systems concluded that, in ±1100kV UHVDC systems, the main goal of insulation coordination is to lower the insulation level of points enduring the highest voltage. However, in a ±800kV UHVDC system, the main goal is to reduce the cost of manufacture for arresters, as well as the space occupation in the valve hall, with an acceptable insulation level.
Insulation coordination;UHVDC;Arrester scheme;Insulation level;Protection level;Insulation margin
- H. Zhou, X. Deng, D. Wang, Y. Shen, X. Chen and K. SUN, “Overvoltage and Insulation Coordination for ±1100kV UHVDC Converter Station,” High Voltage Engineering, vol.39, pp. 2477-2484, 2013.
- D. NIE, W. MA and J. ZHENG, “Insulation Coordination for ±800 kV UHVDC Converter Stations,” High Voltage Engineering, pp. 75-79, 2006.
- H. ZHOU and D. WANG, “Overvoltage Protection and Insulation Coordination for ±1100 kV UHVDC Converter Station,” Power System Technology, vol. 36, pp. 1-8, 2012.
- Y. Han, H. Chen, Y. Lu, and L. Li, “Research on DC Transient Overvoltage and Insulation Coordination of ± 800kV Converter Station,” in Power and Energy Engineering Conference (APPEEC), 2011 Asia-Pacific, Wuhan, 2011, pp. 1-4.
- F. Su, S. Yuan, D. Zhang, and H. Zhou, “Insulation co-ordination of UHVDC transmission lines,” in Electric Utility Deregulation and Restructuring and Power Technologies (DRPT), 2011 4th International Conference on, Weihai, Shandong, 2011, pp. 259-265.
- F. Su and H. Zhou, “Simulation on lightning over-voltageof ± 800kV converter station,” in Lightning (APL), 2011 7th Asia-Pacific International Conference on, Chengdu, 2011, pp. 491-495.
- IEC, T. (2002). 60071-5 - 2002 Insulation co-ordination, part 5: procedures for high-voltage direct current (HVDC) converter stations.
- M. Haeusler, H. Huang and K. Papp, “DESIGN AND TESTING OF 800 kV HVDC EQUIPMENT,” in Cigre Conference Paris, 2008.
- J. LV and J. ZHAO, “Study on the Overvoltage and Insulation Coordination of Yunnan-Guangdong ±800 kV UHVDC Transmission System,” Southern Power System Technology, pp. 18-22, 2009.
- Z. Yi-ying, J. Wei-ping and W. Ya-ni, “Influence of UHVDC Control and Protection Characteristics on Inner Overvoltage,” in The International Conferenceon Electrical Engineering 2008 OKINAWA, JAPAN, 2008.
- D. Manling, X. Shijun, Z. Dandan, H. Hengxing, B. Minghui, H. Junjia, H. Ying, L. Xiaolin, and C. Zongyuan, “Influence of smoothing reacteor arrangement on transients of converter station for ±500kV double-circuit HVDC system,” in Power and Energy Society General Meeting, 2010 IEEE, Minneapolis, MN, 2010, pp. 1-8.
- L. Hua, L. Fuchang, H. Junjia, L. Yuxin, Y. Huisheng, and Z. Zhigang, “Analysis and Simulation of Monopolar Grounding Fault in Bipolar HVDC Transmission System,” in Power Engineering Society General Meeting, 2007. IEEE, Tampa, FL, 2007, pp. 1-5.