- Volume 10 Issue 4
This paper presents partial discharge localization in stator winding of generators using multi-conductor transmission line (MTL) and RLC ladder network models. The high-voltage (HV) winding of a 6kV/250kW generator has been modeled by MATLAB software. The simulation results of the MTL and the RLC ladder network models have been evaluated with the measurements results in the frequency domain by applying of the Pearson’s correlation coefficients. Two PD generated calibrator signals in kHz and MHz frequency range were injected into different points of generator winding and the signals simulated/measured at the both ends of the winding. For partial discharge localization in stator winding of generators is necessary to calculate the frequency spectrum of the PD current signals and then estimate the poles of the system from the calculated frequency spectrum. Finally, the location of PD can be estimated. This theory applied for the above generator and the simulation/measured results show the good correlation for PD Location for RLC ladder network and MTL models in the frequency range of kHz (10kHz<f<1MHz) and MHz (1MHz<f<5MHz) respectively.
Generators;Partial discharge;Pearson’s correlation coefficients;Multi-conductor transmission line model;RLC ladder network model
- H. G. Sedding, “The partial discharge calibration problem in rotating machines,” in Proceedings of IEEE Winter power meeting Panel session 92TH04259PWR, pp. 24-28, 1992.
- SAS/STAT Users Guide ver. 6: 4th ed., vol. 2. Cary, CA, SAS Institute, Inc., 1990d.
- M. Popov, L. V. Sluis, and G. C. Paap, “Computation of very fast transient over voltages in transformer windings,” IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, vol.18, no.4, pp.1268-1274, Oct. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2003.817738
- A. K Agrawal and H. M. Fowles, “Application of modal analysis to the transient response of multi-conductor transmission lines with branches,” IEEE Trans. EMC, pp.256-262, 979.
- G. N. Petrove., and A. I. Abromov, 'Overvoltage stresses in the turn insulation of electrical machinery windings during electromagnetic transients: Electrichestov, 1954, p.24-31.
- P. J. Mclaren and H. Oraee, “Multi-conductor transmission line model for the line end coil of large AC machines’,” in Proceedings of IEEE Conference, pp. 149-156, 1985.
- P. G. Mclaren and M. AbdelRahman, “Modeling of large AC motor disk for steep-fronted surge studies,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 422-426, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.2890
- I. J. Kemp and G. C. Stone, “Calibration difficulties associated with partial discharge detectors in rotating machine applications,” Proceedings of 18th conference on Electrical and electronic insulation, Chicago, USA, pp. 92-97, 1978.
- M. Popov, v. sluis, R.P.P.smeets, “complete analysis of very fast transients in layer-type transformer windings,” International Conference on Power Systems Transients, Lyon, France, June 2007.
- K. J. Kornic and T. R. Thompson, “'Steep-fronted switching voltage transients and their distribution in motor windings, Part 2.” in Proceedings of IEE Proc Electro. Power Application, pp. 56-63, 1982.
- K. Cornic, B. Filliat, C. Kieny, and W. Muller, “Distribution of very fast transient overvoltages in transformer,” in Proceedings of CIGRE, pp. 12-234, 1992.
- R. Rudenderg, “Performance of travelling waves in coils and windings,” AIEE Trans., pp. 1031-1045, 1940.
- P. I. Fergastad and T. Henriksen, “A calculation method for impulse voltage distribution and transferred voltage in transformer windings,” IEEE Trans. Power APP. & SYS., vol. 97, no. 3, pp. 930-939, May. 1978.
- T. J. Lewis, “'The transient behavior of ladder networks of the type representing machine and transformer windings',” in Proceedings of IEEE PES, 101, Pt.2, pp.541-553, 1954.
- K. L. Christiansen, and A. Pedersen, “'Transient surges and motor protection',” in Proceedings of IEEE PES Proceedings of the electrical insulation conference, 68C6-EI-87, pp. 148-50, 1968.
- R. L. Nailen, “'Transient surges and motor protection',” in Proceedings of IEEE PES Industrial and commercial power system technical conference, Seatel, USA, May 1979.
- W. T. Weeks, 'Multiconductor transmission-line theory in the TEM approximation: IBM J. Res. & Dev, 1972.