- Volume 10 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Reliability Evaluation of Power System Operations Considering Time-Varying Features of Components
- Hu, Bo ;
- Zheng, Ying ;
- Yang, Hejun ;
- Xia, Yun
- Received : 2013.10.24
- Accepted : 2015.02.23
- Published : 2015.07.01
The reliability of power system components can be affected by a numbers of factors such as the health level of components, external environment and operation environment of power systems. These factors also affect the electrical parameters of power system components for example the thermal capacity of a transmission element. The relationship of component reliability and power system is, therefore, a complex nonlinear function related to the above-mentioned factors. Traditional approaches for reliability assessment of power systems do not take the influence of these factors into account. The assessment results could not, therefore, reflect the short-term trend of the system reliability performance considering the influence of the key factors and provide the system dispatchers with enough information to make decent operational decisions. This paper discusses some of these important operational issues from the perspective of power system reliability. The discussions include operational reliability of power systems, reliability influence models for main performance parameters of components, time-varying reliability models of components, and a reliability assessment algorithm for power system operations considering the time-varying characteristic of various parameters. The significance of these discussions and applications of the proposed techniques are illustrated by case study results using the IEEE-RTS.
Power system operations;Reliability evaluation;Reliability influence factors of components;Time-varying reliability model
- K. Xie, Z. Jiang, W. Li. “Effect of Wind Speed on Wind Turbine Power Converter Reliability,” IEEE Trans. on Energy Convers., vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 96-104, Mar. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2011.2179656
- H. Wan, J.D. McCalley, V. Vittal, “Increasing thermal rating by risk analysis,” IEEE Trans. Power Syst, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 815-828, Mar. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.780891
- T. Seppa, A. Salehian, “Random variability and uncertainty of transmission line thermal ratings,” presented at 2006 IEEE PES Power Systems Conference and Exposition, Atlanta, USA, 2006.
- P. M. Subcommittee, “IEEE reliability test system,” IEEE Trans. Power App. Syst. vol. PAS-98, no. 6, pp. 2047-2054, Nov/Dec. 1979. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAS.1979.319398
- A.V. Schijndel, J.M. Wetzer, P. A. A. F. Wouters, “Forecasting transformer reliability,” presented at 2006 Annual Report Conference on Electrical Insulation and Dielectric Phenomena, Kansas City, USA, 2006.
- K. Alvehag, L. Soder. “A reliability model for distribution systems incorporating seasonal variations in severe weather,” IEEE Trans. Power Deli, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 910-919, Dec. 2010.
- M. H. J. Bollen. “Effects of adverse weather and aging on power system reliability,” IEEE Trans. Indu. Appl, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 452-457, Mar/Apr. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.913708
- L. Bertling, R. Allan, R. Eriksson. “A reliability-centered asset maintenance method for assessing the impact of maintenance in power distribution systems,” IEEE Trans. Power Syst, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 75-82, Feb. 2005.
- Y. Zhou, A. Pahwa, S. Yang, “Modeling weather-related failures of overhead distribution lines,” IEEE Trans. Power Syst, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 1683-1690, Nov. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2006.881131
- Y. Liu, C. Singh, “A methodology for evaluation of hurricane impact on composite power system reliability,” IEEE Trans. Power Syst, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 145-152. Feb. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2010.2050219
- R. E. Brown, G. Frimpong, H. L. Willis. “Failure rate modeling using equipment inspection data,” IEEE Trans. Power Syst, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 782-787, May. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2004.825824
- B. Retterath, S.S. Venkata, A.A. Chowdhury. “Impact of time-varying failure rates on distribution reliability,” International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, vol. 27 , no. 9, pp. 682-688, Aug. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2005.08.011
- Y. Sun, P. Wang, L. Cheng, et al. “Operational reliability assessment of power systems considering condition-dependent failure rate,” IET Proc.-Gen. Trans. Distrib, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 60-72, Jan. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd.2009.0006
- S.M. Dean, “Consideration involved in making system investment for improved service reliability,” EEI Bulletin, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 491-596, Jan. 1938.
- P. E. Benner, “The use of the theory of probability to determine spare capability,” General Electric Review, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 345-348, Feb. 1934.
- R. Billinton, R. N. Allan, Reliability Evaluation of Power Systems. New York: Plenum Press, 1996.
- R. Billinton, W. Li, Reliability Assessment of Electric Power Systems Using Monte Carlo Methods. New York: Plenum Press, 1994.
- D. Duan, X. Wu, H. Deng, “Reliability evaluation in substations considering operating conditions and failure modes,” IEEE Trans. Power Deliv, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 309-316, Jan. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2011.2173807
- W. Li, Risk Assessment of Power Systems: Models, Methods and Applications. IEEE Press and John Wiley & Sons Inc, 2004.
- J. Zhou, J. Jiang, Y. Sun, K. Xie, The standards of the power industry of the People's Republic of China (DL /T861-2004): Basic vocabulary of electric power reliability. Beijing: China Electric Power Press, 2004.
- K. Hagkwen, “Simulation and estimation of reliability in a wind farm considering the wake effect,”IEEE Trans. on Sustainable Energy, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 274-282, Apr. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSTE.2011.2174260
- M. Fotuhi-Firuzabad, R. Billinton, D. Farokhzad, “Adequacy equivalent development of composite generation and transmission systems using network screening,” IET Proc.-Gen. Trans. Distrib, vol. 5, no. 11, pp. 1141-1148, Nov. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd.2010.0725
- J. He, Y. Sun, P. Wang, et al. “A hybrid conditions-dependent outage model of a transformer in reliability evaluation,” IEEE Trans. Power Deli, vol. 24, no. 4 , pp. 2025-2033, Oct. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2009.2028771
- The President’s Council of Economic Advisers and the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Electricity Delivery and Energy Reliability, “Economic benefits of increasing electric grid resilience to weather outages,” Executive Office of the President, Aug. 2013.
- W. J. Lyman, “Fundamental consideration in preparing a master system plan,” Electrical World, vol. 101, no. 6, pp. 788 -792, June. 1933.