- Volume 20 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Comparative study of Assessment Techniques for Soil Ecosystem Health: Focusing on Assessment Factors of Soil Health
토양생태계 건강성 평가기법 비교연구: 토양건강성 평가항목을 중심으로
- Received : 2014.10.25
- Accepted : 2015.03.23
- Published : 2015.06.30
The soil ecosystem is a complex system performing particularly complicated and varied functions, such as providing a habitat for organisms, acting as a medium for plant cultivation and growth, and functioning as a buffer against external materials in the environment. To assess whether these important functions of the soil ecosystem are executed appropriately, the concept of soil ecosystem health has been introduced, which is defined as the ability to perform the specific functions of the soil ecosystem. Understanding soil properties and soil indicators related to soil functions is essential to assess the soil health. In this study, systems, the indicators, and evaluation factors for assessing soil ecosystem health employed in a number of countries were investigated and discussed. In particular, it is necessary to introduce a technique for the evaluation of soil ecosystem health in Korea and to develop techniques and indicators appropriate to the soil ecosystem and status in Korea.
Soil health;Soil function;Soil ecosystem;Health assessment;Indicator
- Sparling, G.P., Schipper, L.A., Bettjeman, W., and Hill, R., 2004, Soil quality monitoring in New Zealand: practical lessons from a 6-year trial, Agr. Ecosyst. Environ., 104, 523-534. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2004.01.021
- Torsvik, V. and Øvreås, L., 2002, Microbial diversity and function in soil: from genes to ecosystems, Curr. Opin. Neurobiol., 5, 240-245.
- USDA, 2013, National Soil Survey Handbook Part 622, National Resources Conservation Service Soils, United States Department of Agriculture.
- Wherrett, A., Mruphy, D., and Hoyle, F., 2010, Soil Quality indicators for Australian cropping systems, 19th World Congress of Soil Science, Soil Solutions for a Changing World, Brisbane, Australia, 9-12.
- Yoon, J.H., 2004, Review and Discussion on Development of Soil Quality Indicators, Kor. J. Soil Sci. Fertil., 37(3), 192-198.
- Yoon, J.H., Jung, B.G., Jun, H.J., and Kwak, H.K., 2004, Soil Quality Assessment Method of Paddy and Upland, Kor. J. Soil Sci. Fertil., 37(6), 357-364.
- EA, 2006, The development and use of soil quality indicators for assessing the role of soil in environmental interactions, Science Report SC030265, Environment Agency.
- Franzluebbers, A.J., 2002, Soil organic matter stratification ratio as an indicator of soil quality, Soil Till. Res., 66, 95-106. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-1987(02)00018-1
- Kim, Y.O., Choi, H.W., Jang, M.C., Jang, P.K., Lee, W.J., Shin, K., and Jang, M., 2007, A brief review of approaches using planktonic organisms to assess marine ecosystem health, Ocean and Polar Res., 29(4), 327-337. https://doi.org/10.4217/OPR.2007.29.4.327
- Pattison, A.B., Moody, P.W., Badcock, K.A., Smith, L.J., Armour, J.A., Rasiah, V., Cobon, J.A., Gulino, L.-M., and Mayer, R., 2008, Development of key soil health indicators for the Australian banana industry, Appl. Soil. Ecol., 40, 155-164. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsoil.2008.04.002
- Lilburne, L., Sparling, G., and Schipper, L., 2004, Soil quality monitoring in New Zealand: development of an interpretative framework, Agr. Ecosyst. Environ., 104, 535-544. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2004.01.020
- Loveland, P.J. and Thompson, T.R.E., 2002, Identification and development of a set of national indicators for soil quality, R&D Project Record P5-053/PR/02, Environment Agency.
- Ok, Y.S., Yang, J.E., Park, Y.H., Jung, Y.S., Yoo, K.Y., and Park, C.S., 2005, Framework on soil quality indicator selection and assessment for the sustainable soil management, J. Environ. Polic., 4(1), 93-111.
- Rutgers, M., Mulder, C., Schouten, A.J., Bloem, J., Bogte, J.J., Breure, A.M., Brussaard, L., De Goede, R.G.M., Faber, J.H., Jagers op Akkerhuis, G.A.J.M., Keidel, H., Korthals, G.W., Smeding, F.W., Ter Berg, C., and Van Eekeren, N., 2008, Soil ecosystem profiling in the Netherlands with ten references for biological soil quality, RIVM, RIVM Report 607604009/2008, The Netherlands.
- Brejda, J.J., Moorman, T.B., Smith, J.L., Karlen, D.L., Allan, D.L., and Dao, T.H., 2000, Distribution and variability of surface soil properties at a regional scale, Soil Science Society of America Journal, 64(3), 974-982. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj2000.643974x
- Breure, A.M., Mulder, C., Römbke, J., and Ruf, A., 2005, Ecological classification and assessment concepts in soil protection, Ecotox. Environ. Safe., 62, 211-229. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoenv.2005.03.025
- Cambardella, C.A., Moorman, T.B., Andrews, S.S., and Karlen, D.L., 2004, Watershed-scale assessment of soil quality in the loess hills of southwest Iowa, Soil and Tillage Research, 78(2), 237-247. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.still.2004.02.015
- Clark, S., Klonsky, K., Livingston, P., and Temple, S., 1999b, Crop-yield and economic comparisons of organic, low-input, and conventional farming systems in California's Sacramento Valley, Am. J. Altern. Agric., 14(03), 109-121. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0889189300008225
- Choung, Y. and Lee, K., 2013, Review of a Plant-Based Health Assessment Methods for Lake Ecosystems, Kor. J. ecol. environ., 46(2), 145-153.
- Clark, M.S., Horwath, W.R., Shennan, C., and Scow, K.M., 1998, Changes in soil chemical properties resulting from organic and low-input farming practices, Agron. J., 90(5), 662-671. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj1998.00021962009000050016x
- Clark, M.S., Horwath, W.R., Shennan, C., Scow, K.M., Lantni, W.T., and Ferris, H., 1999a, Nitrogen, weeds and water as yieldlimiting factors in conventional, low-input, and organic tomato systems, Agric. Ecosyst. Environ., 73(3), 257-270. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-8809(99)00057-2
- DEFRA, 2007, First Soil Action Plan for England: 2004-2006 - Final Report, Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.
- DEFRA, 2009, Safeguarding our soils: A Strategy for England, Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.
- AAFC, 1995, Land Suitability Rating System for Agricultural Crops 1. Spring-seeded small grains, Technical Bulletin 1995-6E, A technical report prepared by Agronomic Interpretations Working Group, Centre for Land and Biological Resources Research, Agricultural and Agri-Food Canada.
- Andrews, S.S. and Carroll, C.R., 2001, Designing a soil quality assessment tool for sustainable agroecosystem management, Ecol. Appl., 11(6), 1573-1585. https://doi.org/10.1890/1051-0761(2001)011[1573:DASQAT]2.0.CO;2
- Andrews, S.S., Karlen, D.L., and Mitchell, J.P., 2002, A comparison of soil quality indexing methods for vegetable production systems in Northern California, Agr. Ecosyst. Environ., 90, 25-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-8809(01)00174-8
- Brejda, J.J., Karlen, D.L., Smith, J.L., and Allan, D.L., 2000a, Identification of regional soil quality factors and indicators II. Northern Mississippi Loess Hills and Palouse Prairie, Soil Science Society of America Journal, 64(6), 2125-2135. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj2000.6462125x
- Asensio, V., Rodríguez-Ruiz, A., Garmendia, L., Andre, J., Kille, P., Morgan, A.J., Soto, M., and Marigómez, I., 2013, Towards an integrative soil health assessment strategy: A three tier (integrative biomarker response) approach with Eisenia fetida applied to soils subjected to chronic metal pollution, Sci. Total. Environ., 442, 344-365. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2012.09.048
- Bae, D.Y., Kim, Y.P. and An, K.G., 2008, Ecological health assessment of mountainous stream in Mt., Sik-Jang using multimetric models, J. Kor. Soc. Water Qual., 24(2), 156-163.
- Black, H.I.J., Britton, A., Helliwell, R.A., Langan, S., Taylor, A., and Booth P.D., 2010, Consultancy Service: To establish soil indicators to assess the impact of atmospheric deposition on environmentally sensitive areas, Commissioned Report No. HP801, Scottish Environment Protection Agency Commissioned Report.
Grant : "물리,화학적 공정을 이용한 중금속오염 정화토의 토양건강성 평가기술 개발"