- Volume 19 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Hysteretic performance of SPSWs with trapezoidally horizontal corrugated web-plates
- Kalali, Hamed (Department of Civil and Architectural Engineering, University of Shahrood) ;
- Hajsadeghi, Mohammad (School of Engineering Sciences, University of Liverpool, Civil Engineering Department, Xian Jiaotong-Liverpool University) ;
- Zirakian, Tadeh (Department of Civil Engineering and Construction Management, California State University) ;
- Alaee, Farshid J. (Department of Civil and Architectural Engineering, University of Shahrood)
- Received : 2014.05.28
- Accepted : 2015.12.30
- Published : 2015.08.25
Previous research has shown that steel plate shear walls (SPSWs) are efficient lateral force-resisting systems against both wind and seismic loads. A properly designed SPSW can have high initial stiffness, strength, and energy absorption capacity as well as superior ductility. SPSWs have been commonly designed with unstiffened and stiffened infill plates based on economical and performance considerations. Recent introduction and application of corrugated plates with advantageous structural features has motivated the researchers to consider the employment of such elements in stiffened SPSWs with the aim of lowering the high construction cost of such high-performing systems. On this basis, this paper presents results from a numerical investigation of the hysteretic performance of SPSWs with trapezoidally corrugated infill plates. Finite element cyclic analyses are conducted on a series of flat- and corrugated-web SPSWs to examine the effects of web-plate thickness, corrugation angle, and number of corrugation half-waves on the hysteretic performance of such structural systems. Results of the parametric studies are indicative of effectiveness of increasing of the three aforementioned web-plate geometrical and corrugation parameters in improving the cyclic response and energy absorption capacity of SPSWs with trapezoidally corrugated infill plates. Increasing of the web-plate thickness and number of corrugation half-waves are found to be the most and the least effective in adjusting the hysteretic performance of such promising lateral force-resisting systems, respectively. Findings of this study also show that optimal selection of the web-plate thickness, corrugation angle, and number of corrugation half-waves along with proper design of the boundary frame members can result in high stiffness, strength, and cyclic performances of such corrugated-web SPSWs.
- AISC 341-10 (2010), Seismic Provisions for Structural Steel Buildings, American Institute of Steel Construction; Chicago, IL, USA.
- ANSYS 11.0 (2007), ANSYS 11.0 Documentation, ANSYS Inc.
- Berman, J.W. and Bruneau, M. (2005), "Experimental investigation of light-gauge steel plate shear walls", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 131(2), 259-267. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2005)131:2(259)
- Chen, S.J. and Jhang, C. (2011), "Experimental study of low-yield-point steel plate shear wall under in-plane load", J. Construct. Steel Res., 67(6), 977-985. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2011.01.011
- Edalati, S.A., Yadollahi, Y., Pakar, I., Emadi, A. and Bayat, M. (2014), "Numerical study on the performance of corrugated steel shear walls", Wind Struct., Int. J., 19(4), 405-420. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2014.19.4.405
- Emami, F. and Mofid, M. (2014), "On the hysteretic behavior of trapezoidally corrugated steel shear walls", The Structural Design of Tall and Special Buildings, 23(2), 94-104. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.1025
- Emami, F., Mofid, M. and Vafai, A. (2013), "Experimental study on cyclic behavior of trapezoidally corrugated steel shear walls", Eng. Struct., 48, 750-762. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.11.028
- Eurocode (2003), Design of Steel Structures. Part 1.5: Plated Structural elements, European Committee for Standardization; Brussels, Belgium.
- Gholizadeh, M. and Yadollahi, Y. (2012), "Comparing steel plate shear wall behavior with simple and corrugated plates", Appl. Mech. Mater., 147, 80-85.
- Mo, Y.L. and Perng, S.F. (2000), "Seismic performance of framed shearwalls made of corrugated steel", Proceedings of the 6th ASCCS International Conference on Steel-Concrete Composite Structures, Los Angeles, CA, USA, March, pp. 1057-1064.
- Roylance, D. (2001), Stress-Strain Curves, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.
- Sabelli, R. and Bruneau, M. (2006), Steel Plate Shear Wall, Steel Design Guide 20, American Institute of Steel Construction, Chicago, IL, USA.
- Sabouri-Ghomi, S., Ventura, C.E. and Kharrazi, M.H.K. (2005), "Shear analysis and design of ductile steel plate walls", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 131(6), 878-889. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2005)131:6(878)
- Stojadinovic, B. and Tipping, S. (2008), "Structural testing of corrugated sheet steel shear walls", Proceedings of the 19th International Specialty Conference on Cold-Formed Steel Structures, St. Louis, MO, USA, October.
- Zhang, J. and Zirakian, T. (2014), "Seismic responses of structures retrofitted with SPSW systems using LYP steel infill plates", Proceedings of the 10th U.S. National Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Earthquake Engineering Research Institute, Anchorage, AK, USA, July.
- Zirakian, T. (2013), "Seismic performance and design of steel plate shear walls with low yield point steel infill plates", Ph.D. Dissertation; University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA.
- Zirakian, T. and Zhang, J. (2012), "Structural performance of SPSWs with unstiffened slender, moderate, and stocky LYP steel infill plates", Proceedings of the 15th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Lisbon, Portugal, September.
- Shear resistance of stiffened steel corrugated shear walls vol.127, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2018.01.036
- Elastic shear buckling of sinusoidally corrugated steel plate shear wall vol.121, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2016.04.047
- Experimental evaluation of steel plate shear walls stiffened with folded sheets vol.17, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13296-015-0206-x
- Structural performance of steel plate shear walls with trapezoidal corrugations and centrally-placed square perforations vol.16, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13296-015-0116-y
- Experimental Studies on Cyclic Behavior of Corrugated Steel Plate Shear Walls vol.144, pp.11, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0002165