- Volume 25 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Effect of Garlic Enzymatic Hydrolysates and Natural Color Resource Composites on Lipid Metabolism in Rat Fed a High Fat Diet
마늘 효소분해물과 천연색소 소재의 복합물이 고지방 식이성 흰쥐의 지질대사에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2015.05.15
- Accepted : 2015.06.23
- Published : 2015.06.30
The study was performed to investigate the effects of enzyme treated garlic (EG) and its natural resources composites on lipid levels in serum and liver of rats fed a high fat diet. Four different types of EG-composite extracts prepared: EG and EG + grape peel (EGG), EG + Persimmon (EGP) and EG + Catechu (EGC) by mixed 9.5:0.5, 9:1 and 8:2 (w/w) ratios, respectively. DPPH and ABTS radical scavenging activity in vitro, show the highest in EG + Catechu (EGC) composite by mixed 8:2 (w/w). EG and EG-composites extracts (8:2, w/w) were administered orally to SD-male rats at a concentration of 2.5 g/kg/day for 5 weeks. Total lipid and cholesterol contents in serum were significantly lower in EGC group than control group, and triglyceride content was the lowest in EGP group by 54.29 mg/dL. HDL-cholesterol contents were significantly higher in EGP and EGC groups. LDL-cholesterol content was lower in EG group than EG-composite groups, and VLDL cholesterol content was the lowest in EGP group. GOT, GPT and ALP activity was significantly lower in EGP group. Total lipid, cholesterol and triglyceride contents in liver were significantly lower in EGP and EGC group than control group. Antioxidant activity in serum was the highest in EGC groups by 50.86%, in liver was the highest in EGP groups. TBARS content in serum and liver was the lowest in EGP group. In these results, we suggest that EGP composites could have hypolipidemic and anti-obesity effects in rats fed a high fat diet.
- Song, Y. O., Lee, S. J., Park, H. J., Jang, S. H., Chung, B. Y., Song, Y. M., Kim, G. S. and Cho, J. H. 2013. Hepatoprotective effect of Schisandra chinensis on high-fat diet-induced fatty liver in rats. Kor. J. Vet. Serv. 36, 45-52. https://doi.org/10.7853/kjvs.2013.36.1.45
- Uchiyama, M. and Mihara, M. 1978. Determination of malondialdehyde precursor in tissues by TBA test. Anal. Biochem. 86, 271-278. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(78)90342-1
- Wang, S., Noh, S. K. and Koo, S. I. 2006. Green tea catechins inhibit pancreatic phospholipase A(2) and intestinal absorption of lipids in ovariectomized rats. J. Nutr. Biochem. 17, 492-498. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnutbio.2006.03.004
- Yagi, K. 1984. Assay for blood plasma or serum, pp. 328-331. In Method in enzymology, Academic Press. New York, USA. Vol 105.
- Yang, S. T. 2007. Antioxidative activity of extracts of aged black garlic on oxidation of human low density lipoprotein. J. Life Sci. 17, 1330-1335. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2007.17.10.1330
- Mun, J. H. 2004. The risk factors of metabolic syndrome and the association between metabolic syndrome and γ-GPT. Ph.D. Thesis, Chungang University, Seoul, Korea.
- Nam, K. Y. and Lee, J. S. 2010. Dyeability and functionality of catechu(Part II)-Dyeing properties of protein fiber with catechu. Kor. Association Human Ecology 19, 709-717. https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2010.19.4.709
- Re, R., Pellegrini, N., Pannala, A., Yang, M. and Rice-Evans, C. 1999. Antioxidant activity applying an improved ABTS radical cation decolorization assay. Free Radic. Biol. Med. 26, 1231-1237. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(98)00315-3
- Rhee, S. J. and Park, H. K. 1984. Changes of lipid concentration and histochemical observation in liver of rats fed high fat diet. Kor. J. Nutr. 17, 113-125.
- Shin, D. B., Hawer, W. D. and Lee, Y. C. 2007. Effects of enzyme treatments on yield and flavor compounds of garlic extracts. 2007. Kor. J. Food Sci. Tech. 39, 276-282.
- Moon, S. H., Kim, J. O. and Park, K. Y. 1996. Antimutagenic compounds identified form chloroform fraction of persimmon leaves. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 1, 203-207.
- Shin, J. H., Kang, M. J., Lee, S. J., Yang, S. M., Rue, G. H. and Sung, N. J. 2009. Biological activities of dried garlic, red ginseng and their mixture. J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 38, 1633-1639. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.12.1633
- Shin, J. H., Choi, D. J., Lee, S. J., Cha, J. Y. and Sung, N. J. 2008. Antioxidant activity of black garlic (Allium sativum L.). J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 37, 965-971. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.8.965
- Mok, I. G., Yun, S. D., Choi, S. T., Hong, Y. P. and Chung, D. S. 2000. Practical aspects of postharvest management in garlic. Kor. J. Hort Sci. Technol. 18, 900-903.
- Lee, S. J., Kang, M. J. and Shin, J. H. 2013. Effect of black garlic and mugwort extracts on lipids profile during restraint stress. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 42, 577-586. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.4.577
- Lee, S. J., Kim, I. S., Lee, H. J., Oh, S. J., Shin, J. H., Kim, J. G. and Sung, N. J. 2013. Effect of black garlic and herb formulas on lipid profiles and antioxidant status in rats by interval running training. J. Life Sci. 23, 1436-1444. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2013.23.12.1436
- Lee, S. J., Kim, R. J., Ryu, J. H., Shin, J. H., Kang, M. J., Kim, I. S. and Sung, N. J. 2011. Effects of the red garlic extract for anti-obesity and hypolipidemic in obese rats induced high fat diet. J. Life Sci. 21, 211-220. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2011.21.2.211
- Lee, S. J., Shin, J. H., Kang, M. J., Yang, S. M., Ju, J. C. and Sung, N. J. 2009. Effect of garlic and medicinal plants composites on antioxidant activity and lipid levels of liver in hypercholesterolemic rats. J. Life Sci. 19, 1769-1776. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2009.19.12.1769
- Machizuki, E., Yamamoto, T., Suzuki, S. and Nakazawa, H. 1996. Electrophoretic identification of garlic and garlic products. J. AOAC Intl. 79, 1466-1470.
- Lee, S. J., Shin, J. H., Kang, M. J., Jung, W. J., Ryu, J. H., Kim, R. J. and Sung, N. J. 2010. Antioxidant activity of red garlic. J. Life Sci. 20, 1145-1151.
- Lim, B. O., Seo, T. W., Shin, H. M., Park, D. K., Kim, S. U., Cho, K. H. and Kim, H. C. 2000. Effect of Betulae platyphyllae cortex on free radical in diabetic rats induced by streptozotocin. Kor. J. Herbology 15, 69-77.
- Luley, C., Lehmann-Leo, W., Mrtin, T. and Schwartzkopff, W. 1986. Lack of efficacy of dried garlic in patients with hyperlipoproteinemia. Arzneimittelforschung 36, 766-768.
- Jang, E. K., Seo, J. H. and Lee, S. P. 2008. Physiological activity and antioxidative effects of aged black garlic (Allium sativum L.) extract. Kor. J. Food Sci. Technol. 40, 443-448.
- Kang, J. A. and Kang, J. S. 1997. Effect of garlic and onion on plasma and liver cholesterol and triglyceride and platelet aggregation in rats fed basal or cholesterol supplemented diets. Kor. J. Nutr. 30, 132-138.
- Kang, M. J., Lee, S. J., Shin, J. H., Kang, S. K., Kim, J. G. and Sung, N. J. 2008. Effect of garlic with different processing on lipid metabolism in 1% cholesterol fed rats. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 37, 162-169. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.2.162
- Kang, M. J., Yoon, H. S., Jeong, S. H., Sung, N. J. and Shin, J. H. 2011. Physicochemical characteristics of red garlic during processing. Kor. J. Food Preserv. 18, 898-906. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2011.18.6.898
- Kang, S. M., Shim, J. Y., Hwang, S. J., Hong, S. G., Jang, H. E. and Park, M. H. 2003. Effects of Saengshik supplementation on health improvement in diet-induced hyper-cholesterolemic rats. J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 32, 906-912. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2003.32.6.906
- Cook, N. C. and Samman, S. 1996. Flavonoids-chemistry, metabolism, cardiovascular effects and dietary sources. J. Nutr. Biochem. 7, 66-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/0955-2863(95)00168-9
- Kendler, B. S. 1987. Garlic (Allium sativum) and onion (Allium cepa); A review of their relationship to cardiovascular disease. Prev. Med. 16, 670-685. https://doi.org/10.1016/0091-7435(87)90050-8
- Kim, J. D., Lee, B. I., Jeon, Y. H., Bak, J. P., Kim, H. L. and Lim, B. O. 2010. Anti-oxidative and anti-inflammatory effects of green tea mixture and dietary fiber on liver of high fat diet-induced obese rats. Kor. J. Medicinal Crop Sci. 18, 224-230.
- Lee, S. J., Hwang, C. R., Kang, J. R., Shin, J. H., Kang, M. J. and Sung, N. J. 2012. Anti-obesity effect of red garlic composites in rats fed a high fat-cholesterol diet. J. Life Sci. 22, 671-680. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2012.22.5.671
- Focke, M., Feld, A. and Lichtenthaler, K. 1990. Allicin a naturally occurring antibiotic from garlic specially inhibits acetyl CoA synthetase. FEBS Lett. 261, 106-108. https://doi.org/10.1016/0014-5793(90)80647-2
- Freeman, G. G. and Whenham, R. J. 1975. A survey of volatile components of some Allium species in terms of S-alk(en)yl L-cysteine sulphoxides present as flavour precusors. J. Sci. Food Agric. 26, 1869-1886. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740261210
- Friedewald, W. T., Levy, R. I. and Fredrickson, D. S. 1972. Estimation of the concentration of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma, without use of the preparative ultracentrifuge. Clin. Chem. 18, 499-502.
- Frings, C. S., Fendley, T. W., Dunn, R. T. and Queen, C. A. 1972. Improved determination of total serum lipids by the sulfo-phospho-vanillin reaction. Clin. Chem. 18, 673-674.
- Hwang, C. R., Tak, H. M., Kang, M. J., Suh, H. J., Kwon, O. W. and Shin, J. H. 2014. Antioxidant and antiobesity activity of natural color resources. J. Life Sci. 24, 633-641. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2014.24.6.633
- Haglund, O., Luostarinen, R., Wallin, R., Wibell, L. and Saldeen, T. 1991. The effects of fish oil on triglycerides, cholesterol, fibrinogen and malondialdehyde in humans supplemented with vitamin E. J. Nutr. 121, 165-169. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/121.2.165
- Heo, J. C., Lee, K. Y., Lee, B. G., Choi, S. Y., Lee, S. H. and Lee, S. H. 2010. Anti-allergic activities of ultra-fine powder from persimmon. Kor. J. Food Preserv. 17, 145-150.
- Hwang, C. R., Kang, M. J., Shim, H. J., Suh, H. J., Kwon, O. W. and Shin, J. H. 2015. Antioxidant and antiobesity activities of various color resources extracted from natural plants. J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 44, 165-172. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.2.165
- An, B. J. 2001. Effect of inhibition on glucosultransferase and antimicrobial activity of polyphenol fraction of gallnut and red grape husk. Kor. J. Postharvest Sci. Technol. 8, 217-223.
- Azuma, K., Nasayoshi, M., Koshioka, M., Ippoushi, K., Yamaguchi, Y., Kohata, K., Yamauchi, Y., Ito, H. and Higashio, H. 1999. Phenolic antioxidants from the leaves of Corchorus olitorius L. J. Agric. Food Chem. 47, 3963-3966. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf990347p
- Baek, K. H., Kim, S. S. and Lee, Y. C. 2006. Characteriatics of single cell suspension of garlic, red pepper and cucumber prepared by protopectin hydrolytic enzymes. Kor. J. Food Sci. Technol. 38, 369-377.
- Blois, M. S. 1958. Antioxidant determination by the use of a stable free radical. Nature 181, 1199-1200. https://doi.org/10.1038/1811199a0
- Boo, H. O., Hwang, S. J., Bae, C. S., Park, S. H. and Song, W. S. 2011. Antioxidant activity according to each kind of natural plant pigments. Kor. J. Plant Res. 24, 105-112. https://doi.org/10.7732/kjpr.2011.24.1.105
- Chung, K. H., Cho, S. H., Sin, E. N., Choi, K. H. and Choi, Y. S. 1988. Effects of alcohol consumption and fat content in diet on chemical composition and morphology of liver in rat. Kor. J. Nutr. 21, 154-163.
- Boo, H. O., Shin, J. S., Hwang, S. J., Bae, C. S. and Park, S. H. 2012. Antimicrobial effects and antioxidative activities of the cosmetic composition having natural plant pigments. Kor. J. Plant Res. 25, 80-88. https://doi.org/10.7732/kjpr.2012.25.1.080
- Byun, P. H., Kim, W. J. and Yoon, S. K. 2001. Changes of functional properties of garlic extracts during storage. Kor. J. Food Sci. Technol. 33, 301-306.
- Chae, H. J., Park, D. I., Lee, S. C., Oh, C. H., Oh, N. S., Kim, D. C., Won, S. I. and In, M. J. 2011. Improvement of antioxidative activity by enzyme treatment and lactic acid bacteria cultivation in black garlic. J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 40, 660-664. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.5.660