- Volume 20 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
SOC Observer based on Piecewise Linear Modeling for Lithium-Polymer Battery
구간선형 모델링 기반의 리튬-폴리머 배터리 SOC 관측기
- Chung, Gyo-Bum (Electronic & Electrical Eng., Hongik University)
- Received : 2015.06.04
- Accepted : 2015.07.01
- Published : 2015.08.20
A battery management system requires accurate information on the battery state of charge (SOC) to achieve efficient energy management of electric vehicle and renewable energy systems. Although correct SOC estimation is difficult because of the changes in the electrical characteristics of the battery attributed to ambient temperature, service life, and operating point, various methods for accurate SOC estimation have been reported. On the basis of piecewise linear (PWL) modeling technique, this paper proposes a simple SOC observer for lithium-polymer batteries. For performance evaluation, the SOC estimated by the PWL SOC observer, the SOC measured by the battery-discharging experiment and the SOC estimated by the extended Kalman filter (EKF) estimator were compared through a PSIM simulation study.
Supported by : 홍익대학교
- K. C. Divya and J. Ostergaard, "Battery energy storage technology for power systems-an overview," Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 79, pp. 511-520, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2008.09.017
- S. Piller, M. Perrin, and A. Jossen, "Methods for state-of-charge determination and their applications," Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 96, pp. 113-120, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7753(01)00560-2
- P. Nusawat, S. Adulkasem, and C. Chantrapornchai, "Battery discharge rate prediction model for mobile phone using data mining," IEEE 6th International Conference on KST, pp. 69-74, Jan. 30-31, 2014.
- L. Zhang, B. Tiwana, Z. Qian, Z. Wang, R. P. Dick, Z. M. Mao, and L. Yang, "Accurate online power estimation and automatic battery behavior based power model generation for smartphones," Proceeding of International Conference on Hardware/Software Codesign and System Synthesis, pp. 105-114. Oct. 2010.
- C. Romaus, J. Bocker, K. Witting, A. Seifried, and O. Znamenshchykov, "Optimal energy management for a hybrid energy storage system combining batteries and double layer capacitors," IEEE Conference Proceeding of ECCE, pp. 1640-1647, Sep. 20-24, 2009.
- Y. Xing, E. W. M. Ma, K. L. Tsui, and M. Pecht, "Battery management systems in electric and hybrid vehicles," Journal of Energies, Vol. 4, pp. 1840-1857, 2011. https://doi.org/10.3390/en4111840
- G. Chen, Z. J. Bao, Q. Yang, and W. J. Yan, "Scheduling strategy of hybrid energy storage system for smoothing the output power of wind farm," Conference Proceeding of IEEE 10th ICCA, pp. 1874-1878, 2013.
- K. W. Jang and G. B. Chung, "A SOC estimation using kalman filter for lithium-polymer battery," Transactions of Korean Institute of Power Electronics, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 222-229, Jun. 2012. https://doi.org/10.6113/TKPE.2012.17.3.222
- C. Zhang, J. Jiang, W. Zhang, and S. M. Sharkh, "Estimation of state of charge of lithium-ion batteries used in HEV using robust extended kalman filtering," Journal of Energies, Vol. 5, No. 4, pp. 1098-1115, April, 2012. https://doi.org/10.3390/en5041098
- K. W. Jang, H. J. Kim, and G. B. Chung, "Comparison of battery modelings and SOC estimation methods," in Annual Conference of the KIPE, pp. 87-88, Jul. 2010.
- I. Snihir, W. Rey, E. Verbitsky, A. B. Ayeb, and P. H. L. Notten, "Battery open-circuit voltage estimation by a method of statistical analysis," Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 159, No. 2, pp. 1484-1487, Sept., 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2005.11.090
- G. L. Plett, "Extended kalman filtering for battery management systems of LiPB-based HEV battery packs : part 3. state and parameter estimation," Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 134, pp. 277-292, Aug. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2004.02.033
- I. S. Kim, "The novel state of charge estimation method for lithium battery using sliding mode observer," Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 163, Issue 1, pp. 584-590, Dec. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2006.09.006
- H. G. Kim, S. J. Heo, and G. B. Kang, "Modeling and state observer design of HEV li-ion battery," Transactions of KIPE, Vol. 13, No. 5, pp. 360-368, Oct. 2008.
- J. Lee, J. Jo, S. Kim, and H. Cha, "The state of charge estimation for lithium-polymer battery using a PI observer," Transactions of Korean Institute of Power Electronics, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 175-181, Apr. 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/TKPE.2015.20.2.175
- Y. Zhang, Z. Zhao, T. Lu, L. Yuan, W. Xu, and J. Zhu, "A comparative study of luenberger observer, sliding mode observer and extended kalman filter for sensorless vector control of induction motor drives," IEEE Conference Proceeding of ECCE, pp. 2466-2473, 2009.