- Volume 28 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Influence of Rapeseed Meal on Growth Performance, Blood Profiles, Nutrient Digestibility and Economic Benefit of Growing-finishing Pigs
- Choi, H.B. (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology, College of Animal Life Sciences, Seoul National University) ;
- Jeong, J.H. (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology, College of Animal Life Sciences, Seoul National University) ;
- Kim, D.H. (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology, College of Animal Life Sciences, Seoul National University) ;
- Lee, Y. (Department of Food and Nutrition, Seoul National University) ;
- Kwon, H. (Department of Food and Nutrition, Seoul National University) ;
- Kim, Y.Y. (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology, College of Animal Life Sciences, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2014.10.15
- Accepted : 2015.06.02
- Published : 2015.09.01
This study was conducted to investigate the influence of dietary rapeseed meal (RSM) on growth performance, blood profiles, nutrient digestibility and economic benefit of growing-finishing pigs. A total of 120 growing pigs (
Supported by : Nonghyup feed Inc.
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis. 15th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, VA, USA.
- Bell, J. M. 1984. Nutrients and toxicants in rapeseed meal: A review. J. Anim. Sci. 58:996-1010.
- Bell, J. M., M. O. Keith, and D. S. Hutcheson. 1991. Nutritonal evaluation of very low glucosinolate canola meal. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 71:497-506. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas91-059
- Bowland, J. P. 1975. Evaluation of low glucosinolate-low erucic acid rapeseed meal as the protein supplement foryoung growing pigs, including effects on blood serum constituents. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 55:409-416. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas75-050
- Christison, G. I. and B. Laarveld. 1981. Thyroid hormone response to thyrotropin releasing hormone by pigs fed canola, rapeseed or soybean meals. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 61:1023-1029. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas81-126
- Eggum, B. O. 1970. Blood urea measurement as a technique for assessing protein quality. Br. J. Nutr. 24:983-988. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19700101
- Food Standards Australia New Zealand. 2003. Erucic acid in food: A toxicological review and risk assessment. Tech. Report Series 21:1448-3017.
- Green, S. and T. Kiener. 1989. Digestibilities of nitrogen and amino acids in soya-bean, sunflower, meat and rapeseed meals measured with pigs and poultry. Anim. Prod. 48:157-179. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100003895
- International Standards Organisation (ISO). 1992. Rapeseed: Determination of glucosinolates content. ISO 9167-1. Geneva, Switzerland.
- Kracht, W., S. Danicke, H. Kluge, K. Keller, W. Matzke, U. Hennig, and U. Schumann. 2004. Effect of dehulling of rapeseed on feed value and nutrient digestibility of rape products in pigs. Arch. Anim. Nutr. 58:389-404. https://doi.org/10.1080/00039420400005018
- Mawson, R., R. K. Heaney, M. Piskula, and H. Kozlowska. 1993a. Rapeseed meal-glucosinolates and their antinutritional effects 1. Rapeseed production and chemistry of glucosinolates. Nahrung. 37:131-140. https://doi.org/10.1002/food.19930370206
- Mawson, R., R. K. Heaney, Z. Zdunczyk, and H. Kozlowska. 1993b. Rapeseed meal-glucosinolates and their antinutritional effects: 2. Flavour and paltability. Nahrung 37:336-344. https://doi.org/10.1002/food.19930370405
- Mawson, R., R. K. Heaney, Z. Zdunczyk, and H. Kozlowska. 1994. Rapeseed meal-glucosinolates and their antinutritional effects: 4. Goitrogenicity and internal organs abnormalities in animals. Nahrung 38:178-191. https://doi.org/10.1002/food.19940380210
- McKinnon, P. J. and J. P. Bowland. 1979. Effects of feeding low and high glucosinolate rapeseed meals and soybean meal on thyroid function of young pigs. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 59:589-596. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas79-074
- National Research Council. 1998. Nutrient Requirements of Swine, 10th ed. National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA.
- National Research Council. 2012. Nutrient Requirements of Swine, 11th ed. National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA.
- Noblet, J. and G. L. Goff. 2001. Effect of dietary fibre on the energy value of feeds for pigs. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 90:35-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(01)00195-X
- Patrick, M., C. O'Shea, S. Figat, and J. V. O'Doherty. 2010. Influence of incrementally substituting dietary soya bean meal for rapeseed meal on nutrient digestibility, nitrogen excretion, growth performance and ammonia emissions from growingfinishing pigs. Arch. Anim. Nutr. 64:412-424. https://doi.org/10.1080/1745039X.2010.496947
- Quiniou, N., A. Quinsac, K. Crepon, J. Evrard, C. Peyronnet, A. Bourdillon, E. Royer, and M. Etienne. 2012. Effects of feeding 10% rapeseed meal (Brassica napus) during gestation and lactation over three reproductive cycles on the performance of hyperprolific sows and their litters. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 92:513-524. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas2012-039
- SAS Institute Inc. 2009. SAS/STAT User's Guide, Version 9.2. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Sauer, W. C., R. Cichon, and R. Misir. 1982. Amino acid availability and protein quality of canola and rapeseed meal for pigs and rates. J. Anim. Sci. 54:292-301.
- Schone, F., M. Leiterer, G. Jahreis, and B. Rudolph. 1997. Effect of rapeseed feedstuffs with different glucosinolate content and iodine administration on gestating and lactating sow. J. Vet. Med. A. 44:325-339. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0442.1997.tb01117.x
- Smit, M. N., R. W. Seneviratne, M. G. Young, G. Lanz, R. T. Zijlstra, and E. Beltranena. 2014. Feeding increasing inclusions of canola meal with distillers dried grains and solubles to growing-finishing barrows and gilts. Anim. Feed. Sci. Technol. 189:107-116. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2013.12.012
- Tripathi, M. K. and A. S. Mishra. 2007. Glucosinolates in animal nutrition: A review. Anim. Feed. Sci. Technol. 132:1-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2006.03.003
- Worldwide Mycotoxins Exposure in Pig and Poultry Feed Formulations vol.8, pp.12, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3390/toxins8120350
- Effects of Protease Addition and Replacement of Soybean Meal by Corn Gluten Meal on the Growth of Broilers and on the Environmental Performances of a Broiler Production System in Greece vol.12, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0169511
- Increasing levels of rapeseed expeller meal in diets for pigs: effects on protein and energy metabolism pp.1751-732X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1017/S1751731118000988