- Volume 28 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Genetic Parameters of Reproductive and Meat Quality Traits in Korean Berkshire Pigs
- Lee, Joon-Ho ;
- Song, Ki-Duk ;
- Lee, Hak-Kyo ;
- Cho, Kwang-Hyun ;
- Park, Hwa-Chun ;
- Park, Kyung-Do
- Received : 2015.02.04
- Accepted : 2015.04.20
- Published : 2015.10.01
Genetic parameters of Berkshire pigs for reproduction, carcass and meat quality traits were estimated using the records from a breeding farm in Korea. For reproduction traits, 2,457 records of the total number of piglets born (TNB) and the number of piglets born alive (NBA) from 781 sows and 53 sires were used. For two carcass traits which are carcass weight (CW) and backfat thickness (BF) and for 10 meat quality traits which are pH value after 45 minutes (pH45m), pH value after 24 hours (pH24h), lightness in meat color (LMC), redness in meat color (RMC), yellowness in meat color (YMC), moisture holding capacity (MHC), drip loss (DL), cooking loss (CL), fat content (FC), and shear force value (SH), 1,942 pig records were used to estimate genetic parameters. The genetic parameters for each trait were estimated using VCE program with animal model. Heritability estimates for reproduction traits TNB and NBA were 0.07 and 0.06, respectively, for carcass traits CW and BF were 0.37 and 0.57, respectively and for meat traits pH45m, pH24h, LMC, RMC, YMC, MHC, DL, CL, FC, and SH were 0.48, 0.15, 0.19, 0.36, 0.28, 0.21, 0.33, 0.45, 0.43, and 0.39, respectively. The estimate for genetic correlation coefficient between CW and BF was 0.27. The Genetic correlation between pH24h and meat color traits were in the range of -0.51 to -0.33 and between pH24h and DL and SH were -0.41 and -0.32, respectively. The estimates for genetic correlation coefficients between reproductive and meat quality traits were very low or zero. However, the estimates for genetic correlation coefficients between reproductive traits and drip and cooking loss were in the range of 0.12 to 0.17 and -0.14 to -0.12, respectively. As the estimated heritability of meat quality traits showed medium to high heritability, these traits may be applicable for the genetic improvement by continuous measurement. However, since some of the meat quality traits showed negative genetic correlations with carcass traits, an appropriate breeding scheme is required that carefully considers the complexity of genetic parameters and applicability of data.
Berkshire;Genetic Parameter;Heritability;Repeatability;Genetic Correlation
- Arango, J., I. Misztal, S. Tsuruta, M. Culbertson, and W. Herring. 2005. Threshold-linear estimation of genetic parameters for farrowing mortality, litter size, and test performance of Large White sows. J. Anim. Sci. 83:499-506. https://doi.org/10.2527/2005.833499x
- Bonneau, M. and B. Lebret B. 2010. Production systems and influence on eating quality of pork. Meat Sci. 84:293-300. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2009.03.013
- Bryner, S. M., J. W. Mabry, J. K. Bertrand, L. L. Benyshek, and L. A. Kriese. 1992. Estimation of direct and maternal heritability and genetic correlation for backfat and growth rate in swine using data from centrally tested Yorkshire boars. J. Anim. Sci. 70:1755-1759. https://doi.org/10.2527/1992.7061755x
- Chen, P., T. J. Baas, J. W. Mabry, J. C. Dekkers, and K. J. Koehler. 2002. Genetic parameters and trends for lean growth rate and its comvonents in U.S. Yorkshire, Duroc, Hampshire, and Landrace pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 80:2062-2070.
- Chen, P., T. J. Baas, J. W. Mabry, K. J. Koehler, and J. C. Dekkers. 2003a. Genetic parameters and trends for litter traits in U.S. Yorkshire, Duroc, Hampshire, and Landrace pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 81:46-53. https://doi.org/10.2527/2003.81146x
- Chen, P., T. J. Baas, J. W. Mabry, and K. J. Koehler. 2003b. Genetic correlations between lean growth and litter traits in U.S. Yorkshire, Duroc, Hampshire, and Landrace pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 81:1700-1705. https://doi.org/10.2527/2003.8171700x
- Clutter, A. C. and E. W. Brascamp. 1998. Genetics of performance traits. In: The Genetics of the Pig (Eds. M. F. Rothschild and A. Rubinsky). CAB International, New York, USA. pp. 472-462.
- Ducos, A. and J. P. Bidanel. 1996. Genetic correlations between production and reproductive traits measured on the farm, in the Large White and French Landrace pig breeds. J. Anim. Breed. Genet. 113:493-504. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0388.1996.tb00639.x
- Folch, J., M. Lees, and G. H. Sloane Stanley. 1957. A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipides from animal tissues. J. Biol. Chem. 226:497-509.
- Johnson, Z. B. and R. A. Nugent 3rd. 2003. Heritability of body length and measures of body density and their relationship to backfat thickness and loin muscle area in swine. J. Anim. Sci. 81:1943-1949. https://doi.org/10.2527/2003.8181943x
- Knapp, P., A. Willam, and J. Solkner. 1997. Genetic parameters for lean meat content and meat quality traits in different pig breeds. Livest. Prob. Sci. 52:69-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(97)00120-6
- Larzul, C., L. Lefaucheur, P. Ecolan, J. Gogue, A. Talmant, P. Sellier, P. Le Roy, and G. Monin. 1997. Phenotypic and genetic parameters for longissimus muscle fiber characteristics in relation to growth, carcass, and meat quality traits in large white pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 75:3126-3137. https://doi.org/10.2527/1997.75123126x
- Li, X. and B. W. Kennedy. 1994. Genetic parameters for growth rate and backfat in Canadian Yorkshire, Landrace, Duroc, and Hampshire pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 72:1450-1454. https://doi.org/10.2527/1994.7261450x
Luo, W., D. Cheng, S. Chen, L. Wang, Y. Li, X. Ma, X. Song, X. Liu, W. Li, J. Liang, H. Yan, K. Zhao, C. Wang, L. Wang, and L. Zhang. 2012. Genome-wide association analysis of meat quality traits in a porcine Large White
$\times$Minzhu intercross population. Int. J. Biol. Sci. 8:580-595. https://doi.org/10.7150/ijbs.3614
- Newcom, D. W., T. J. Baas, J. W. Mabry, and R. N. Goodwin. 2002. Genetic parameters for pork carcass components. J. Anim. Sci. 80:3099-3106. https://doi.org/10.2527/2002.80123099x
- SAS Institute Inc. (2008). SAS/STAT 9.2 User's Guide, SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Sellier, P. 1998. Genetic of meat and carcass traits. In: The Genetics of the Pigs (Eds. M. F. Rothschild and A. Rubinsky). CAB International, New York, USA. pp. 465-510.
- Su, G., M. S. Lund, and D. Sorensen. 2007. Selection for litter size at day five to improve litter size at weaning and piglet survival rate. J. Anim. Sci. 85:1385-1392. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-631
- Suzuki, K., M. Irie, H. Kadowaki, T. Shibata, M. Kumagai, and A. Nishida. 2005. Genetic parameter estimates of meat quality traits in Duroc pigs selected for average daily gain, longissimus muscle area, backfat thickness, and intramuscular fat content. J. Anim. Sci. 83:2058-2065. https://doi.org/10.2527/2005.8392058x
- te Pas, M. F., A. Soumillion, F. L. Harders, F. J. Verburg, T. J. van den Bosch, P. Galesloot, and T. H. Meuwissen. 1999. Influences of myogenin genotypes on birth weight, growth rate, carcass weight, backfat thickness, and lean weight of pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 77:2352-2356. https://doi.org/10.2527/1999.7792352x
- Tomiyama, M., T. Kanetani, Y. Tatsukawa, H. Mori, and T. Oikawa. 2011. Genetic relationships and expected responses for genetic improvement of carcass traits of Berkshire pigs. Sci. Agric. (Piracicaba, Braz.) 68:594-597. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0103-90162011000500013
- van Wijk, H. J., D. J. Arts, J. O. Matthews, M. Webster, B. J. Ducro, and E. F. Knol. 2005. Genetic parameters for carcass composition and pork quality estimated in a commercial production chain. J. Anim. Sci. 83:324-333. https://doi.org/10.2527/2005.832324x
- Woodward, B.W., J. W. Mabry, M. T. See, J. K. Bertrand, and L. L. Benyshek. 1993. Development of an animal model for across-herd genetic evaluation of number born alive in swine. J. Anim. Sci. 71:2040-2046. https://doi.org/10.2527/1993.7182040x
- Gaya, L. G., J. B. S. Ferraz, J. C. C. Balieiro, E. C. Mattos, A. M. M. A. Costa, T. Michelan Filho, A. M. Felicio, A. F. Rosa, G. B. Mourao, J. P. Eler, M. E. B. Silva, L. Queiroz, A. L. M. Afaz, N. M. Longo, B. R. Garavazo, and S. H. Nakashima. 2006. Heritability estimates for meat quality traits in a male Broiler line. Paper presented at the 8th World Congress on Genetics Applied to Livestock Production, Belo Horizonte, Brasil.
- Hermesch, S., B. G. Luxford, and H. U. Graser. 2000. Genetic parameters for lean meat yield, meat quality, reproduction and feed efficiency traits for Australian pigs: 1. Description of traits and heritability estimates.Livest. Prod. Sci. 65:239-248. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(00)00150-0
- Holm, B., M. Bakken, G. Klemetsdal, and O. Vangen. 2004. Genetic correlations between reproduction and production traits in swine. J. Anim. Sci. 82:3458-3464. https://doi.org/10.2527/2004.82123458x
- Hovenier, R., E. Kanis, Th. van Asseldonk, and N. G. Westerink. 1993. Breeding for pig meat quality in halothane negative populations: A review. Pig News Inf. 14:17N-25N.
- Identification of Differentially Expressed Genes Associated with Litter Size in Berkshire Pig Placenta vol.11, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0153311
- Genes on Litter Size Traits in Berkshire Pigs pp.1532-2378, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/10495398.2017.1395345
- Effect of single nucleotide polymorphism on the total number of piglets born per parity of three different pig breeds vol.31, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.17.0028
Supported by : Rural Development Administration