- Volume 16 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Prediction of Quality of Life among the Elderly at Care Facilities for the Elderly according to Health States, Physical and Cognitive Functions, and Social Supports-Focused on D Metropolitan City
노인요양시설 노인의 건강상태, 신체적, 정신적 기능, 사회적 지지에 따른 삶의 질 예측요인-D 광역시를 중심으로-
- Kim, Jong-Im (Department of Nursing, Jungwon University)
- 김종임 (중원대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2015.04.16
- Accepted : 2015.07.16
- Published : 2015.07.31
The purpose of this study was to investigate relations among the quality of life, health states, physical functions, cognitive functions, and social supports of the elderly at care facilities. The subjects include the elderly that were living in care facilities in some urban areas and aged 65 or older. The data of total 260 old people were used in analysis. Collected data were analyzed with descriptive statistics, t-test, ANOVA, Pearson correlation, and stepwise multiple regression. The elderly at care facilities, who were considered as physically and cognitive vulnerable, scored higher means on quality of life when they were satisfied with the length of stay and sleeping state, had higher subjective health states, had no tooth inconvenience and forgetfulness, suffered from a lower level of depression, had better cognitive functions, and received higher social supports. Quality of life had correlations with the sleeping state(r=-.20, p<.001), subjective health state(r=-.24, p<.001)s, depression(r=-.30, p<.001), and social supports(r=.30, p<.001). Social supports(
Supported by : Jungwon University
- H.. A. Han. "Study on the Urban Elderly's Quality of Life in Korean Society", Social Welfare Policy, Vol. 19, pp. 113-142, 2004.
- L. Sury, K. Burns, H. Brodaty. "Moving in: Adjustment of people living with dementia going into a nursing home and their families", International Psychogeriatrics, Vol. 25, No. 6, pp. 867-876, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S1041610213000057 https://doi.org/10.1017/S1041610213000057
- J. S. Nam, J. H. Yang, "Factors influencing on depression of frail elderly with chronic disease in long-term care hospitals", Paper presented at the meeting of the Korean Society of Nursing Science, Seoul, 2012.
- T. Kwok, R. S. Lo, E. Wong, T. Wai-Kwong, V. Mok, W. Kai-Sing. "Quality of life of stroke survivors A 1-year follow-up study", Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Vol. 87, No. 9, pp. 1177-1182, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2006.05.015 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2006.05.015
- G. V. Padilla, M. M. Grant. "Quality of life as a cancer outcome variable", Americans Nursing, Vol. 8, pp. 1177-1182, 1985. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00012272-198510000-00007 https://doi.org/10.1097/00012272-198510000-00007
- F. J. Carod-Artal, & J. A. "Egido. Quallty of life after stroke; The importance of al good recovery," Cerebrovascular Disease, Vol. 27(Suppl, 1), pp. 2014-214, 2009.
- J. A. Seomun. "study on the relation between religion and depression/ quality of life for the elderly people," Church Social Work, Vol. 12, pp. 67-95, 2010.
- S. Yoo, "The context of perceived and desired social support among Korean older adults," Psychology, Health & Medicine. Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 47-55, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13548506.2012.672751 https://doi.org/10.1080/13548506.2012.672751
- J. Cohen. Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences(2nd ed.). New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Publishers, 1998.
- N. M. Bradbum, The structure of psychological well-being.Chicago: Aldine, 1967.
- Y. J. No. "(An)Analytical study on the quality of life of the middle-aged in Seoul," [dissertion], [Seoul], Yonsei university, 1988.
- J. I. Kwon. "The influence of lifestyle of aged pepple on health & life satisfaction," Department of Health and Welfare for the Elderly Graduate School of Daegu Haany University, Gyeongbuk, Korea. 2011.
- M. P. Lawton, E. M. "Brody. Assessment of older people: Self-maintaining and instrumental activities of daily living," The Gerontologist, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 179-186, 1969. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/geront/9.3_Part_1.179 https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/9.3_Part_1.179
- C. W. Won, K. Y. Yang, Y. G. Rho, S. Y. Kim, E. Lee, J. L. Yoon, et al. "The development of korean activities of daily living(K-ADL) and korean instrumental activities of daily living(K-IADL) scale," Journal of Korean Geriatrics society, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 107-120, 2002.
- B. S. Kee, "A preliminary study for the standardization of geriatric depression scale short form-Korea version," Journal of Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, Vol. 35, No. 2, pp. 298-307, 1996.
- J. A. Sheikh, J. A. Yesavage. "Geriatric depression scale(GDS): Recent evidence and development of a shorter version clinical gerontology; A guide to assessment and intervention," New York, NY: Haworth Press, p. 165, 1986.
- Y. C. Kwon, J. H. Park. "Korean version of min9i-mental the test for the elderly," Journal of Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 125-131, 1989.
- E. M. Tray, J. K. Whittaker. "Families in Society," The Journal of Contemporary Human Services, Vol. 71, No. 8, pp. 461-470, 1990.
- H. S. Pyun. "(The) effect of social support on depression and self-esteem of the elderly living in the unreported residential facility," Chung-Ang University doctorate thesis, 2005.
- H. R. Winefield, A. H. Winefield, M. Tiggeman. "Social support Psychoological Assessment Scale," Journal of Personality Assessment, Vol. 58, pp. 198-210, 1992. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1207/s15327752jpa5801_17 https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327752jpa5801_17
- T. E. Moon, S. H. Byun, "A study of their death anxiety, self appearance and life quality by the religious activities of the aged," Asia-Pacific Journal of Business Venturing and Enter parter ship, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 115-120, 2012. https://doi.org/10.16972/apjbve.7.3.201209.115
- L. Dahlberg, K. J. McKee, "Correlates of social and emotional loneliness in older people: Evidence from English community study," Aging & Mental Health. Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 504-514, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13607863.2013.856863 https://doi.org/10.1080/13607863.2013.856863
- K. R. Shin, Y. S. Byeon, J. W. Oak, "A study on physical symptom, activity of daily living, and Health-Related Quality of Life (HRQoL) in the community-dwelling older adults," Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. Vol. 38, No. 3, pp. 437-444, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.3.437 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.3.437
- Y. H. Oh, J. E. Seok, J. D. Gwon, J. S. Kim, "Old person's quality of life and policy implications," Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, 2005.
- M. A. Shin, G. S. Han, "A study on the health status and oral health-related quality of life in the elderly patients with long-term care," Journal of Dental Hygiene, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 379-389, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2014.14.3.379 https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2014.14.3.379
- E. S. Jung, M. K. Jeon, "Comparison of the activities of daily living and sleep according to the presence depression in the elderly," The Journal of Digital Policy & Management. Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 289-297, 2013.
- S. Y. You, Y. R. Tak, "Feeling of Guit depression in family care givers after nursing home placement of older adults," Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 276-287, 2014.
- E. Y. Cheon, "Correlation of social network types on health status of korean elders," Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. Vol. 40, No. 1, pp. 88-98, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2010.40.1.88 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2010.40.1.88
- H. M. Kim, Y. H. Choi, "Factors affecting depression elderly vulnerable people living alone," Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, Vol. 22, No. 4, pp. 355-364, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2011.22.4.355 https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2011.22.4.355
- A. Bowling, D. Banister, S. Sutton, O. Evan, J. Windor, "A multi dimensional model of the quality of life in older age," Aging & Mental Health, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 355-371, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1360786021000006983 https://doi.org/10.1080/1360786021000006983
- The Effect of Physical and Psychological, and Social factors on Health Promotion Behavior among the stroke patients vol.16, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.12.8525