- Volume 16 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
An Experimental Study on Air-Side Performance of Fin-and-Tube Heat Exchangers Having Compound Enhanced Fins
복합 전열 촉진 핀이 적용된 핀-관 열교환기의 성능에 대한 실험적 연구
- Received : 2015.03.03
- Accepted : 2015.07.16
- Published : 2015.07.31
In this study, heat transfer and friction characteristics of compound enhanced fin-and-tube heat exchangers were experimentally investigated. Louver-finned heat exchangers were also tested for comparison purpose. The effect of fin pitch on j and f factor was negligible. The j factor decreased as number of tube row increased. However, f factor was independent of number of tube row. Louver fin samples yielded higher j and f factors than compound enhanced fin samples. For one row, j and f factors of louver fin were 23% and 27% higher than those of compound enhanced fin. For two row, those were 11% and 8%, and for three row, those were 10% and 9%. However, heat transfer capacities at the same pressure drop of the compound enhanced fins were 6.4% for one row, 11.1% for two row and 13.6% for three row larger than those of louver fins, Existing louver fin correlation overpredicted the present j factors and underpredicted the present f factors.
Compound enhanced fin;Heat transfer coefficient;Louver fin;Pressure drop
- B-.B. Park, S.-M. You, B. Yoon and K.-C. Yoo, "Experimental study of heat transfer and pressure drop characteristics for flow of water inside circular smooth and micro-fin tubes," Korean J. Air Conditioning Refrigeration, Vol. 9, No. 4, pp. 454-461, 1997.
- T. E. Schmidt, "Heat transfer calculations for extended surfaces," J. of ASRE, Refrigeration Engineering, Vol. 4, pp. 351-357, 1949.
- K. Torikoshi, G. N. Xi, Y. Nakazawa, and H. Asano, "Flow and heat transfer performance of a plate fin and tube heat exchanger(first report: effect of fin pitch)", Heat Transfer 1994, Proceedings of the 10th Int. Heat Transfer Conf, Vol. 4, pp. 411-416, 1994.
- C.-H. Min, J.-P. Cho, W.-K. Oh and N.-H. Kim, "Heat transfer and pressure drop characteristics of heat exchangers having plain fins under dry and wet conditions," Korean Journal of Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 218-229, 2004.
- N.-H. Kim, K.-J. Lee and Y. B. Jeong, "Airside performance of oval tube heat exchangers having sine wave fins under wet condition," Applied Thermal Eng. Vol. 66, pp. 580-589, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2014.02.042 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2014.02.042
- ESDU 98005, "Design and performance evaluation of heat exchangers: the effectiveness and NTU method, Engineering and Sciences Data Unit 98005 with Amendment A," London, ESDU International plc. pp. 122-129, 1998.
- B. Youn, Y.-S. Kim, H.-Y. Park and N.-H. Kim, "An experimental investigation on the airside performance of fin-and-tube heat exchangers having radial slit fins," J. Enhanced Heat Transfer, Vol. 10, pp. 61-80, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1615/JEnhHeatTransf.v10.i1.60 https://doi.org/10.1615/JEnhHeatTransf.v10.i1.60
- J.-Y. Yun and K.-S. Lee, "Investigation of heat transfer characteristics on various kinds of fin-and-tube heat exchangers with interrupted surfaces," Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, Vol. 42, pp. 2375-2385, 1999. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0017-9310(98)00310-X https://doi.org/10.1016/S0017-9310(98)00310-X
- C.-C. Wang, K.-Y. Chi and Y.-J. Chang, " An experimental study of heat transfer and friction characteristics of typical louver fin-and-tube heat exchangers," Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, Vol. 41, Nos. 4-5, pp. 817-822, 1998. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0017-9310(97)00154-3 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0017-9310(97)00154-3
- C.-C. Wang, C.-J. Lee, C.-T. Chang and S.-P. Lin, "Heat transfer and friction correlation for compact louvered fin-and-tube heat exchangers," Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, Vol. 42, pp. 1945-1956, 1999. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0017-9310(98)00288-9 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0017-9310(98)00302-0
- C.-T. Hsieh and J.-Y. Jang, "Parametric study and optimization of louver-finned heat exchangers by Taguchi method," Applied Thermal Eng., Vol 42, pp. 101-110, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2012.03.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2012.03.003
- Z. Carija, B., Francovic, M. Percic and M. Cavrak, "Heat transfer analysis of fin-and-tube heat exchangers with flat and louvered fin geometries," Int. J. Ref., Vol. 45, pp. 160-167, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrefrig.2014.05.026 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrefrig.2014.05.026
- H. Huisseune, C. T'Joen, P. De Jaeger, B. Ameel and M. De Paepe, "Performance enhancement of a louvered fin heat exchanger by using delta winglet vortex generators," Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, Vol. 56, pp. 475-487. 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2012.09.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2012.09.004
- L. Tian, Y. He, Y. Tao and W. Tao, "A comparative study on the air-side performance of wavy fin-and-tube heat exchanger with punched delta winglets in staggered and in-line arrangements," Int. J. Thermal Sicence, Vol 48, pp. 1765-1776, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijthermalsci.2009.02.007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijthermalsci.2009.02.007
- ASHRAE Standard 41.1, Standard Method for Temperature Measurement, ASHRAE, 1986.
- ASHRAE Standard 41.2, Standard Method for Laboratory Air-Flow Measurement, ASHRAE, 1987.
- ASHRAE Standard 41.5, Standard Measurement Guide, Engineering Analysis of Experimental Data, ASHRAE, 1975.
- R. L. Webb and N.-H. Kim, Principles of Enhanced Heat Transfer. 2nd ed., Taylor and Francis Pub. 2005.
- C.-C. Wang, "On the airside performance of fin-and-tube heat exchangers," in Heat Transfer Enhancement of Heat Exchangers, Eds., S. Kakac, A.E. Bergles, F. Mayinger, H. Yuncu, Kluwer Academic Press, pp. 141-162, 1999.
- A. M. Jacobi and R. K. Shah, "Air-side flow and heat transfer in compact heat exchangers:A discussion of enhancement mechanism," Heat Transfer Engineering, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp.29-41, 1998. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01457639808939934 https://doi.org/10.1080/01457639808939934
- F. E. M. Saboya, and E. M. Sparrow, "Local and average heat transfer coefficients for one-row plate fin and tube heat exchanger configurations," J. Heat Transfer, Vol. 96, pp. 265-272, 1974. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1115/1.3450189 https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3450189
- L. Goldstein and E. M. Sparrow, "Experiments on the transfer characteristics of a corrugated fin and tube heat exchanger configuration," Journal of Heat Transfer, Vol. 98, pp. 26-34, 1976. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1115/1.3450464 https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3450464
- M. M. Ali and S. Ramadhyani, "Experiments on convective heat transfer in corrugated channels," Experimental Heat Transfer, Vol. 5, pp. 175-193, 1992. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08916159208946440 https://doi.org/10.1080/08916159208946440
- D. G. Rich, "The effect of fin spacing on the heat transfer and friction performance of multi-row, plate fin-and-tube heat exchangers," ASHRAE Trans., Vol. 79, Pt. 2, pp. 137-145, 1973.
- D. G. Rich, "The effect of the number of tube rows on heat transfer performance of smooth plate fin-and-tube heat exchangers," ASHRAE Trans., Vol. 81, Pt. 1, pp. 307-317, 1975.
- C. C. Wang, W. L. Fu and C. T. Chang, "Heat transfer and friction characteristics of typical wavy fin-and-tube heat exchangers," Exp. Thermal Fluid Science, Vol. 14, pp. 174-186, 1997. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0894-1777(96)00056-8 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0894-1777(96)00056-8
- C. C. Wang, Y. T. Lin, C. J. Lee and Y. J. Chang, "Investigation of wavy fin-and-tube heat exchangers; A contribution to data bank," Experimental Heat Transfer, Vol. 12, pp. 73-89, 1999. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/089161599269825 https://doi.org/10.1080/089161599269825
- W. Nakayama. and L. P. Xu, "Enhanced fins for air cooled heat exchangers - Heat transfer and friction correlations," 1st ASME/JSME Thermal Engineering Joint Conference, Vol. 1, pp. 495-502, 1983.
- C.-C. Wang and C.-T. Chang, "Heat and mass transfer for plate fin-and-tube heat exchangers with and without hydrophilic coating," Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, Vol. 41, pp. 3109-3120, 1998. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0017-9310(98)00060-X https://doi.org/10.1016/S0017-9310(98)00060-X
- C.-C. Wang, W.-H. Tao and C.-J. Chang, "An investigation of the airside performance of the slit fin-and-tube heat exchangers," Int. J. Ref., Vol. 22, pp. 596-603, 1999. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0140-7007(99)00031-6
- Y.-J. Du and C.-C. Wang, "An experimental study of the airside performance of the superslit fin-and-tube heat exchangers," Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, Vol. 43, pp. 4475-4482, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0017-9310(00)00082-X https://doi.org/10.1016/S0017-9310(00)00082-X
- C.-C. Wang, W.-S. Lee and W.-J. Sheu, "A comparative study of compact enhanced fin-and-tube heat exchangers," Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, Vol. 44, pp. 3565-3573, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0017-9310(01)00011-4 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0017-9310(01)00011-4