- Volume 14 Issue 4
The deformation of injection molding is seriously affected by injection molding conditions, such as melt and mold temperature and injection and holding pressure. In these conditions, the mold temperature is controlled by flowing coolant, which can be classified by the Reynolds number in the mold-cooling channel. In this study, the deformation of the automotive side molding according to the variation of the Reynolds number in the coolant was simulated by Moldflow. In the results, as the Reynolds number was increased, the mold cooling was also increased. However, when the Reynolds number exceeded a certain range, the mold cooling was not increased further. In addition to the Moldflow verification, the mold cooling by the coolant was simulated by CFX. The CFX results confirmed that the Reynolds number significantly influenced the mold cooling. The coolant, which has a high Reynolds number value, quickly cooled the mold. However, the coolant, which has a low Reynolds number value, such as 0 points, hardly cooled the mold. In an injection molding experiment, as the Reynolds number was high, the deformation of the moldings was reduced. The declining tendency of the deformation was similar to the Moldflow results.
- Han, S. R., "The Relation Between Injection Molding Conditions and Gloss of ABS Molding," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 14, No. 11, pp. 5352-5356, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.11.5352
- Chen, H. L., Chen, S. C, Liao, W. H, Chien, R. D. and Lin, Y. T., "Effects of Insert Film on Asymmetric Mold Temperature and Associated Part Warpage During In-mold Decoration Injection Molding of PP Parts," International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 41, pp. 34-40, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.icheatmasstransfer.2012.11.002
- Kwon, J. H., Rhee, B. O., Choi, J. H., Cho, M. S., Lee, J. H. and Tae, J. S., "A Cae Analysis for the Effect of Mold Temperature on Ultra-Thin Wall Injection Molding," Proc. of KSPE 2014 Spring Conference, pp. 496, May, 2014.
- Sohn, D. H. and Park, K., "Investigation of Cooling Performance of Injection Molds Using Pulsed Mold Temperature Control," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. B, Vol. 37, No. 1, pp. 35-41, 2013. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-B.2013.37.1.035
- Cengel, Y. A., "Heat Transfer: a Practical Approch - 2nd edition," McGraw-Hill Korea, pp. 394-410, 2006.
- Menges, G., Michaeli, W. and Mohren, P., "How to Make Injection Molds," Hanser, pp. 300-302, 2000.
- Beaumont, J. P., "Runner and Gating Design Handbook," Hanser, pp. 5-6, 2004.
- Menning, G. and Stoeckhert, K. "Mold-Making Handbook - 3rd edition," Hanser, pp. 383-385, 2013.
- Lee, S. K. and Kim, S. H., "Experimental Study on Implementation of Injection Molding Process for Speaker Frame in LED TV," J. of KSMPE, Vol. 12, No. 5, pp. 94-101, 2013.
- Liu, Y. and Gehde, M., "Evaluation of Heat Transfer Coefficient Between Polymer and Cavity Wall for Improving Cooling and Crystallinity Results in Injection Molding simulation," Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 80, No. 5, pp. 238-246, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2015.01.064
- Strong, A. B., "Plastics: Materials and Processing," Prentice-Hall, pp. 166-169, 1996.
- Kim, D. K. and Kim, S. K., "A Study on Design of Nozzle Tip for Airless Spray Coating," J. of KSMPE, Vol. 11, No. 6, pp. 183-188, 2012.
- Shin, N. H., Oh, H. S. and Kang. S. K., "The Optimization of Injection Molding Process by CAE," Dea Kawng Seo Rim Pub, pp. 146-148, 2007.