- Volume 15 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Antibacterial Effect and Cytotoxicity of Desensitizer Containing Antimicrobial
항균물질을 함유한 지각과민처치제에 대한 항균효과 및 세포독성
- Received : 2015.03.13
- Accepted : 2015.04.01
- Published : 2015.04.30
Dentinal hypersensitivity is a type of dental pain that occurs when various stimuli are applied to exposed dentin lesions. If the symptoms of dentinal hypersensitivity continue, the dentin is exposed and the hypersensitivity may become a periodontal disease or root caries due to bacterial infection. Therefore, the clinical goal of the present study is to reduce the pain of the patient suffering from dentinal hypersensitivity by developing antimicrobial hypersensitivity treatments and to improve oral hygiene. We prepared chlorhexidine, tetracycline, cetylpyridinium chloride, gallic acid loaded desensitizer by adding 0.1%, 0.5%, 1.0%, and 2.0% chlorhexidine, tetracycline, cetylpyridinium chloride, gallic acid to desensitizer (Micro Prime; Denville and Hurri Seal; Beutlich), and antibacterial effect, and cytotoxicity. The antibacterial test by using Staphylococcus aureus (SA. ATCC 6538, FDA 209) showed that the antibacterial effect of all experimental groups was significantly higher than that of control group (p<0.05). Cytotoxicity test by using agar diffusion assay indicated that Micro Prime showed mild toxicity, Hurri Seal showed severe toxicity and this cytotoxicity is supposed to be caused by one of desensitizer components showing weak antibacterial effect.
Antibacterial effect;Cytotoxicity;Micro Prime;Hurri Seal
- Jacobsen PL, Bruce G: Clinical dentin hypersensitivity: understanding the causes and prescribing a treatment. J Contemp Dent Pract 2: 1-12, 2001.
- Canadian Advisory Board in Dentine Hypersensitivity: Consensus-based recommendation for the diagnosis and management of dentine hypersensitivity. J Can Dent Assoc 69:221-226, 2003.
- Orchardson R, Gillam DG: Managing dentin hypersensitivity. J Am Dent Assoc 137: 990-998, 2006. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.2006.0321
- Brannstrom M, Astrom A: The hydrodynamics of the dentine : its possible relationship to dental pain. Int Dental J 22: 219-227, 1972.
- David H, Pashle DH: Mechanisms of dentin sensitivity. Dent Clin North Am 34: 449-474, 1990.
- Forssell-Ahlberg K, Edwall L: Influence of local insults on sympathetic vasoconstrictor control in feline dental pulp. Acta Physiol Scand 35: 103-110, 1977.
- Grossman L: The treatment of hypersensitive dentin. J Am Dent Assoc 22: 592-602, 1935.
- Orchardson R, Collins WJ: Clinical features of hypersensitive teeth. Br Dent J 162: 253-256, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bdj.4806096
- Addy M, Mostafa P, Newcombe RG: Dentine hypersensitivity:the distribution of recession, sensitivity and plaque. J Dent 15: 242-248, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1016/0300-5712(87)90045-5
- Sandham HJ, Nadeau L, Phillips HI: The effect of chlorhexidine varnish treatment on salivary mutans streptococcal levels in child orthodontic patients. J Dent Res 71: 32-35, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345920710010501
- Somerman MJ, Foster RA, Vorsteg G, Progebin K, Wynn RA: Effect of minocyclinr on fibroblast attachment and spreading. J Periodontol Res 23: 154-159, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0765.1988.tb01349.x
- Golub LM, Ciancio S, Rammamurthy NS, Leung M, Mc- Namara TF: Low-dose doxycycline therapy: effect on gingival and crevicular fluid collagenase activity in humans. J Periodontol Res 25: 321-330, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0765.1990.tb00923.x
- Ferguson LR: Role of plant polyphenols in genomic stability. Mutat Res 18: 89-111, 2001.
- Addy M, Absi EG, Adams D: Dentin hypersensitivity: the effect in vitro of acids and dietary substances on root planed and burred dentin. J Clin Periodontol 14: 274-279, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.1987.tb01532.x
- Michelich VJ, Schuster GS, Pashley DH: Bacterial penetration of human dentin in vitro. J Dent Res 59: 1398-1403, 1980. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345800590080701
- Warfringe J, Dahlen G, Bergenholtz G: Dental pulp response to bacterial cell wall material. J Dent Res 64: 1046-1050, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345850640080401
- Morri MF, Davis RD, Richardson BW: Clinical efficacy of two dentin desensitizing agent. Am J Dent 12: 72-76, 1999.
- Cuenin F, Scheidt MT, O'neal RB, et al.: An in vitro study of dentin sensitivity the relation of dentine sensitivity and the patency of dentine tubules. J Periodontol 62: 668-673, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.1922.214.171.1248
- Olusile AO, Bamise CT, Oginni AO, Dosumu OO: Shortterm clinical evaluation of four desensitizing agents. J Contemp Dent Pract 9: 22-29, 2008.
- Oin C, Xu J, Zhang Y: Spectroscopic investigation of the function of aqueous 2-hydroxyethylmethacrylate/glutaraldehyde solution as a dentin desensitizer. Eur J Oral Sci 114: 354-359, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0722.2006.00382.x
- Rusin RP, Aqee K, Suchko M, Pashley DH: Effect of a new desensitizing material on human dentin permeability. Dent Mater 26: 600-607, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dental.2010.02.010
- Duran I, Sengun A, Hadimli HH, Ulker M: Evaluation of antibacterial effectiveness of desensitizers against oral bacteria. Eur J Dent 2: 43-47, 2008.
- Giuliana G, Pizzo G, Milici ME, Musotto GC, Giangreco R: In vitro antifungal properties of mouthrinses containing antimicrobial agent. J Periodontol 68: 729-733, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.19126.96.36.1999
- Jrnkins S, Addy M, Wade W, Newcombe RG: The magnitude and duration of theeffects of some mouthrinse products on salivary bacterial counts. J Clin Periodontol 21: 397-401, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.1994.tb00736.x
- Ryge G: Review of dental materials research in 1960. J Am Dent Assoc 62: 519-526, 1960.
- Hoang-Dao BT, Hoan-Tu H, Tram-Hung L, Camps J, Koubi G, About I: Evaluation of a natural resin-based new meterial (Shellac F) as a potential desensitizing agent. Dent Meter 29:1001-1007, 2008.
- IOS Standards: Dentistry-preclinical evaluation of biocompatibility of medical devices used in dentistry-test method for dental materials. International Organization for Standardization 2nd edition, ISO 7405; pp.1-23, 2008.
Supported by : 원광보건대학교