- Volume 15 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Study on Verbal Abuse Experience and Coping Strategies of Dental Hygienist
임상 치과위생사의 언어폭력 경험 및 대처방안
- Received : 2015.05.05
- Accepted : 2015.05.25
- Published : 2015.06.30
The purpose of this study was to provide a basic data for developing and solutions to prevent verbal abuse and to determine the actual overall verbal abuse experience of dental hygienist. Participants were 289 dental hygienists who work in dental hospitals and clinics. The results of this study, 177 dental hygienists experienced verbal abuse. Perpetrators of verbal abuse experience became patient (67.9%), dentist (21.1%). The most common reason for verbal abuse were 'anger about the dental service' (17.0%), 'anger about physical and emotional suffering' (14.1%), 'consider the dental hygienists as subordinate not as colleague or practitioner' (12.6%). The types of verbal abuse were 'taking down' (21.7%), 'yelling' (16.3%), 'being sarcastic' (11.3%). The types of coping with verbal abuse were many aspects of passive coping in order of 'suppress' (12.3%), 'ignore' (8.2%). The result of verbal abuse experience according to working characteristics was significant different to clinical career, main duty, position. The result of self-esteem and job satisfaction according to verbal abuse experience, dental hygienist who had experienced verbal abuse was lower in job satisfaction. Therefore, it should be recognized that experience of verbal abuse in dental hygienist was serious and need to develop prevention programs and research.
Dental hygienists;Verbal abuse experience
- Lee GJ, Lee E: The relationship of emotional labor, empowerment, job burnout and turnover intention of clinical nurses. Korean J Occup Health Nurs 20: 130-142, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2011.20.2.130
- Heo SE: The effect of job stress on burn-out and intention to change a job for dental hygienists. Unpublished master's thesis, Inje University, Kimhae, 2010.
- Lee GS, Min BK: The research about the influence of medical service when choosing the dental clinic. J Dent Hyg Sci 8: 51-56, 2008.
- Shin MY: Violence, burnout and turnover intention of the nurses' in a general hospital. Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul, 2011.
- Koh SB: The work related psychosocial factor and disease among health professional. J Korean Med Assoc 53: 467-473, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2010.53.6.467
- Kwon HJ, Kim HS, Choe KS, Lee KS, Sung YH: A study on verbal abuse experienced at medical centers. Clin Nurs Res 13: 113-124, 2007.
- Kim HO: The relationship between job stress, job satisfaction and burnout in clinical nurses. Unpublished master's thesis, Chosun University, Gwangju, 2004.
- Jung HJ: A study on nurses' experience in verbal abuse. Unpublished master's thesis, Chonnam University, Gwangju, 2010.
- Kim HJ, Kim YJ, Kim MH: A study of factors related to job satisfaction affecting service year: a dental hygienist in Seoul. J Dent Hyg Sci 14: 501-515, 2014.
- Shin SH: A study on employment stress and self-esteem of health college students. J Dent Hyg Sci 12: 217-225, 2012.
- Seo JH: The impact of uniform related attitude on the professional identity and job satisfaction: in the case of dental hygienist. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul, 2007.
- Pearlin LI, Schooler C: The structure of coping. J Health Soc Behav 19: 2-12, 1978. https://doi.org/10.2307/2136319
- Lincoln JR, Kalleberg AL: Work organization and workforce commitment: a study of plants and employees in the U.S. and Japan. Am Sociol Rev 50: 738-760, 1985. https://doi.org/10.2307/2095502
- Lee JH, Choi JM, Lee YA: The help of experienced dental hygienists turnover verbal abuse and emotional reaction, and the resulting relationship. J Dent Hyg Sci 14: 563-570, 2014. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2014.14.4.563
- Diaz AL, McMillin JD: A definition and description of nurse abuse. West J Nurs Res 13: 97-109, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1177/019394599101300107
- Yoo MO: Influences of verbal abuse on job stress and organizational commitment of nurses. Unpublished master's thesis, Chungju National University, Chungju, 2012.
- Kim HS: The relationship between the empowerment and the job satisfaction of recovery room nurses, Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul, 2008.
- Oh EJ: Relations among verbal abuse, job satisfaction, burn out and turn over in nurses working in acute hospitals. Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul, 2010.