- Volume 16 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Effect of Pretreatment with Lactobacillus delbrueckii and Streptococcus thermophillus on Tailored Triple Therapy for Helicobacter pylori Eradication: A Prospective Randomized Controlled Clinical Trial
- Tongtawee, Taweesak (Department of Surgery, Institute of Medicine, Suranaree University of Technology) ;
- Dechsukhum, Chavaboon (Pathological Unit, Institute of Medicine, Suranaree University of Technology) ;
- Leeanansaksiri, Wilairat (Parasite Research Unit, Institute of Science, Suranaree University of Technology) ;
- Kaewpitoon, Soraya (Family Medicine and Community Medicine, Suranaree University of Technology) ;
- Kaewpitoon, Natthawut (Parasite Research Unit, Institute of Science, Suranaree University of Technology) ;
- Loyd, Ryan A (Family Medicine and Community Medicine, Suranaree University of Technology) ;
- Matrakool, Likit (Department of Surgery, Institute of Medicine, Suranaree University of Technology) ;
- Panpimanmas, Sukij (Department of Surgery, Institute of Medicine, Suranaree University of Technology)
- Published : 2015.07.13
Background: Helicobacter pylori plays an important role in gastric cancer and typical eradication regimens are no longer effective in many countries, including Thailand. The aim of our study was to compare the effect of Lactobacillus delbrueckii and Streptococcus thermophillus on tailored triple therapy for Helicobacter pylori eradication. Materials and Methods: This prospective single-center study was conducted in Thailand. Helicobacter pylori associated gastritis patients were randomized to 2 groups: group 1 (n=100) was tailored triple therapy with placebo (esomeprazole 20 mg bid, clarithromycin 500 mg bid or metronidazole 400 mg tid if clarithromycin resistance and amoxicillin 1000 mg bid), and group 2 was tailored triple therapy plus pretreatment with probiotic containing yogurt. Successful eradication was defined as both negative histology and negative rapid urease test at four weeks after treatment. Results: A total of 200 infected patients were enrolled. PP analysis involved 194 patients: 96 in the tailored triple therapy with placebo group (group 1) and 98 the in tailored triple therapy plus pretreatment with probiotic containing yogurt group (group 2). Successful eradication was observed in 170 (87.6%) patients; by PP analysis, the eradication rate was significantly higher in group 2 (P = 0.04, 95%CI; 0.02-0.13) than in group 1. ITT analysis also showed that the value was significantly higher in the tailored triple threapy plus pretreatment with probiotic containing yogurt group (group 2) (89/100; 89%) than in the tailored triple therapy with placebo group (group 1) (P= 0.01, 95%CI; 0.04-0.15). In terms of adverse events, there was no significant difference between the two groups. Conclusions: Pretreatment with probiotic containing yogurt can improve Helicobacter pylori eradication rates with tailored triple therapy. Adding probiotics does not reduce adverse effects of the medication.
Pretreatment with probiotics;Helicobacter pylori;tailored triple therapy;gastric cancer
Supported by : Suranaree University of Technology
- Aiba Y, Suzuki N, Kabir AMA, et al (1998). Lactic acid-mediated suppression of Helicobacter pylori by the oral administration of Lactobacillus salivarius as a probiotic in a gnotobiotic murine model. Am J Gastroenterol, 93, 2097-101. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1572-0241.1998.00600.x
- Chanagune Srinarong, Sith Siramolpiwat, Arti Wongcha-um (2014). Improved Eradication Rate of Standard Triple Therapy by Adding Bismuth and Probiotic Supplement for Helicobacter pylori Treatment in Thailand. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 9909-13. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.22.9909
- Chey WD, Wong BC (2007).American College of Gastroenterology guideline on the management of Helicobacter pylori infection. Am J Gastroenterol, 102, 1808-25. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1572-0241.2007.01393.x
- Claudia Schabereiter-Gurtner, Alexander M. Hirschl, Brigitte Dragosics, et al (2004). Novel real-time PCR assay for detection of Helicobacter pylori infection and simultaneous clarithromycin susceptibility testing in stool and biopsy specimens. J Clin Microbiol, 42, 4512-8. https://doi.org/10.1128/JCM.42.10.4512-4518.2004
- De Francesco V,Margiotta M, Zullo A, et al (2007). Prevalence of primary clarithromycin resistance in Helicobacter pylori strains over a 15 year period in Italy. J Antimicrob Chemother, 59, 783-5. https://doi.org/10.1093/jac/dkm005
- Dixon MF, Genta RM, Yardley JH et al (1996).Classification and grading of gastritis. The updated Sydney System. International Workshop on the Histopathology of Gastritis, Houston 1994. Am J Surg Pathol, 20, 1161-81.
- Johnson-Henry KC, Mitchell DJ, Avitzur Y, et al (2004). Probiotics reduce bacterial colonization and gastric inflammation in H. pylori-infected mice. Dig Dis Sci, 49, 1095-102. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:DDAS.0000037794.02040.c2
- Kato S, Konno M, Maisawa S, et al (2004). Results of triple eradication therapy in Japanese children: a retrospective multicenter study. J Gastroenterol, 39, 838-43. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00535-004-1398-6
- Komoto K, Haruma K, Kamada T, et al (1998). Helicobacter pylori infection and gastric neoplasia: correlations with histological gastritis and tumor histology. Am J Gastroenterol, 93, 1271-6. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1572-0241.1998.00408.x
- Lee JW, Kim N, Kim JM, et al (2013). Prevalence of primary and secondary antimicrobial resistance of Helicobacter pylori in Korea from 2003 through 2012. Helicobacter, 18, 206-14. https://doi.org/10.1111/hel.12031
- Mahachai V,Sirimontaporn N,Tumwasorn S,et al (2011).Sequential therapy in clarithromycin sensitive and resistant H .pylori based on PCR molecular test. Gastroenterol Hepatol, 26, 825-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1746.2011.06660.x
- Marshall BJ, Warren JR (1984). Unidentified curved bacilli in the stomach of patients with gastritis and peptic ulceration. Lancet, 1, 1311-5.
- Megraud F, Coenen S, Versporten A, et al (2013). Helicobacter pylori resistance to antibiotics in Europe and its relationship to antibiotic consumption. Gut, 62, 34-42. https://doi.org/10.1136/gutjnl-2012-302254
- Megraud F (2007). Helicobacter pylori and antibiotic resistance. Gut, 56, 1502. https://doi.org/10.1136/gut.2007.132514
- Menard AM. Oleastro A. Santos F, et al (2002). PCR-Restriction Fragment Length Polymorphism Can Also Detect Point Mutation A2142C in the 23S rRNA Gene, Associated with Helicobacter pylori Resistance to Clarithromycin. Antimicrob Agents Chemother, 46, 1156-7. https://doi.org/10.1128/AAC.46.4.1156-1157.2002
- Mihara M, Haruma K, Kamada T, et al (1999). The role of endoscopic findings for the diagnosis of Helicobacter pylori infection: evaluation in a country with high prevalence of atrophic gastritis. Helicobacter, 4, 40-8. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1523-5378.1999.09016.x
- Occhialini A, Urdaci M, Doucet-Populaire F, et al (1997). Macrolide resistance in Helicobacter pylori: rapid detection of point mutations and assays of macrolide binding to ribosomes. Antimicrob Agents Chemother, 41, 2724-8.
- Patel SK, Pratap CB, Jain AK, et al (2014). Diagnosis of Helicobacter pylori: What should be the gold standard?. World J Gastroenterol, 20, 12847-59. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v20.i36.12847
- Sakonlaya D, Apisarnthanarak A, Yamada N (2014). Modified toluidine blue: an alternative stain for Helicobacter pylori detection in routine diagnostic use and post-eradication confirmation for gastric cancer prevention. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 6983-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6983
- Schistosomes, liver flukes and Helicobacter pylori (1994). IARC working group on the evaluation of carcinogenic risks to humans. Lyon, 7-14 June 1994. IARC Monogr Eval Carcinog Risks Hum, 61, 1-241.
- Sheu B-S, Cheng HC, Kao AW et al (2006). Pretreatment with Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium-containing yogurt can improve the efficacy of quadruple therapy in eradicating residual Helicobacter pylori infection after failed triple therapy. Am J Clin Nutr, 83, 864-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/83.4.864
- Su P, Li Y, Li H, et al (2013). Antibiotic resistance of Helicobacter pylori isolated in the Southeast Coastal Region of China. Helicobacter, 18, 274-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/hel.12046
- Tong JL, Ran ZH, Shen J, et al (2007). Meta-analysis: the effect of supplementation with probiotics on eradication rates and adverse events during Helicobacter pylori eradication therapy, Aliment Pharmacol Ther, 25, 155-68.
- Wang ZH, Gao QY, Fang JY,et al (2013). Meta-analysis of the efficacy and safety of Lactobacillus-containing and Bifidobacterium containing probiotic compound preparation in Helicobacter pylori eradication therapy. J Clin Gastroenterol, 47, 25-32. https://doi.org/10.1097/MCG.0b013e318266f6cf
- Wittwer, CT., Ririe KM, Andrew RV, et al (1997). The Lightcycler TM: a microvolume multisample fluorimeter with rapid temperature control. BioTechniques, 22, 176-81.
- Wroblewski LE, Peek RM, Wilson KT (2010). Helicobacter pylori and gastric cancer: factors that modulate disease risk. Clin Microbiol Rev, 23, 713-39. https://doi.org/10.1128/CMR.00011-10
- Optimal conditions and effects of prebiotics for growth and antimicrobial substances production of Lactobacillus brevis BK11 vol.51, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7845/kjm.2015.5038
- Diagnosis of Helicobacter pylori Infection vol.17, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.4.1631
- ? Current Knowledge and Ongoing Research vol.2018, pp.1687-630X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/9379480
- Probiotics in Gastroenterology: How Pro Is the Evidence in Adults? vol.113, pp.8, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41395-018-0138-0