- Volume 16 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Association of Vitamin D Level with Clinicopathological Features in Breast Cancer
- Thanasitthichai, Somchai (Surgery Division, National Cancer Institute) ;
- Chaiwerawattana, Arkom (Surgery Division, National Cancer Institute) ;
- Prasitthipayong, Aree (Pathological Division, National Cancer Institute)
- Published : 2015.07.13
A population-based relationship between low vitamin D status and increased cancer risk is now generally accepted. However there were only few studies reported on prognostic impact. To determine the effect of low vitamin D on progression of breast cancer, we conducted a cross-sectional analysis of vitamin D levels and clinico-pathological characteristics in 200 cases of breast cancer diagnosed during 2011-2012 at the National Cancer Institute of Thailand. Vitamin D levels were measured by high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC). Clinical and pathological data were accessed to examine prognostic effects of vitamin D. We found that the mean vitamin D level was
- Ananthakrishnan AN, Cheng SC, Cai T, et al (2014). Association between reduced plasma 25-hydroxy vitamin D and increased risk of cancer in patients with inflammatory bowel diseases. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol, 12, 821-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cgh.2013.10.011
- Bao Y, Ng K, Wolpin BM, et al (2010). Predicted vitamin D status and pancreatic cancer risk in two prospective cohort studies. Br J Cancer, 102, 1422-7. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6605658
- Bolland MJ, Grey A, Gamble GD, et al (2011). Calcium and vitamin D supplements and health outcomes: a reanalysis of the Women's Health Initiative (WHI) limited-access data set. Am J Clin Nutr, 94, 1144-9. https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.111.015032
- Crew KD, Gammon MD, Steck SE, et al (2009). Association between plasma 25-hydroxyvitamin D and breast cancer risk. Cancer Prev Res (Phila), 26, 598-604.
- Dawson-Hughes B, Heaney RP, Holick MF, et al (2005). Estimates of optimal vitamin D status. Osteoporos Int, 16, 713-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00198-005-1867-7
- Freedman DM, Looker AC, Chang SC, et al (2007). Prospective study of serum vitamin D and cancer mortality in the United States. J Natl Cancer Inst, 99, 1594-602. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djm204
- Garland CF, Garland FC, Gorham ED, et al (2006). The role of vitamin D in cancer prevention. Am J Public Health, 96, 252-61. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2004.045260
- Goodwin PJ, Ennis M, Pritchard KI, et al (2009). Prognostic effects of 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels in early breast cancer. J Clin Oncol, 27, 3757-63. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2008.20.0725
- Gorham ED, Garland CF, Garland FC, et al (2007). Optimal vitamin D status for colorectal cancer prevention: a quantitative meta-analysis. Am J Prev Med, 32, 210-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2006.11.004
- Hart GR, Furniss JL, Laurie D, et al (2006). Measurement of vitamin D status: background, clinical use, and methodologies. Clin Lab, 52, 335-43.
- Hatse S, Lambrechts D, Verstuyf A, et al (2012). Vitamin D status at breast cancer diagnosis: correlation with tumor characteristics, disease outcome, and genetic determinants of vitamin D insufficiency. Carcinogenesis, 33, 1319-26. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/bgs187
- Holick MF (2006). Vitamin D: its role in cancer prevention and treatment. Prog Biophys Mol Biol, 92, 49-59. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pbiomolbio.2006.02.014
- Larriba MJ and Munoz A (2010). Mechanisms of resistance to vitamin D action in human cancer cells. In: Holick MF, editor. Vitamin D physiology, molecular biology, and clinical applications. New York: Humana Press. pp. 325-33.
- Lowe LC, Guy M, Mansi JL, et al (2005). Plasma 25-hydroxy vitamin D concentrations, vitamin D receptor genotype and breast cancer risk in a UK Caucasian population. Eur J Cancer, 41, 1164-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2005.01.017
- Mohr SB, Gorham ED, Kim J, et al (2014). Meta-analysis of vitamin D sufficiency for improving survival of patients with breast cancer. Anticancer Res, 34, 1163-6.
- Neuhouser ML, Sorensen B, Hollis BW (2008). Vitamin D insufficiency in a multiethnic cohort of breast cancer survivors. Am J Clin Nutr, 88, 133-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/88.1.133
- Neyestani TR, Gharavi A, Kalayi A (2007). Determination of serum 25-hydroxy cholecalciferol using high-performance liquid chromatography: a reliable tool for assessment of vitamin D status. Int J Vitam Nutr Res, 77, 341-6. https://doi.org/10.1024/0300-9822.214.171.1241
- Palmieri C, MacGregor T, Girgis S, et al (2006). Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels in early and advanced breast cancer. J Clin Pathol, 59, 1334-6. https://doi.org/10.1136/jcp.2006.042747
- Sergeev IN, Rhoten WB (1998). Regulation of intracellular calcium in human breast cancer cells. Endocrine, 9, 321-7. https://doi.org/10.1385/ENDO:9:3:321
- Vandewalle B, Hornez L, Lassalle B, et al (1993). Intracellular calcium and breast cancer growth and differentiation. Intern J Oncol, 2, 613-20.
- Vrieling A, Hein R, Abbas S, et al (2011). Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and postmenopausal breast cancer survival: a prospective patient cohort study. Breast Cancer Res, 13, 74. https://doi.org/10.1186/bcr2920
- Yang J, Mani SA, Weinberg RA (2006). Exploring a new twist on tumor metastasis. Cancer Res, 66, 4549-52. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-05-3850
- Yin L, Grandi N, Raum E, et al (2010). Meta-analysis: serum vitamin D and breast cancer risk. Eur J Cancer, 46, 2196-205. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2010.03.037
- Yousef FM, Jacobs ET, Kang PT, et al (2013). Vitamin D status and breast cancer in Saudi Arabian women: case-control study. Am J Clin Nutr, 98, 105-10. https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.112.054445
- Comment to "Vitamin D Receptor Poly(A) Microsatellite Polymorphism and 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Serum Levels: Association with Susceptibility to Breast Cancer" vol.18, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4048/jbc.2015.18.4.409
- The roles of UVB and vitamin D in reducing risk of cancer incidence and mortality: A review of the epidemiology, clinical trials, and mechanisms vol.18, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11154-017-9415-2
- Prevalence of Low Vitamin D in Patients with Breast Cancer in a Predominantly Hispanic Population at the American-Mexican Border vol.69, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/01635581.2017.1339812