- Volume 16 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Characterisation and Clinical Significance of FLT3-ITD and non-ITD in Acute Myeloid Leukaemia Patients in Kelantan, Northeast Peninsular Malaysia
- Yunus, Noraini Mat (Department of Hematology, School of Medical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia) ;
- Johan, Muhammad Farid (Department of Hematology, School of Medical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia) ;
- Al-Jamal, Hamid Ali Nagi (Department of Hematology, School of Medical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia) ;
- Husin, Azlan (Haemato-Oncology Unit, Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia) ;
- Hussein, Abdul Rahim (Advanced Medical And Dental Institute, Universiti Sains Malaysia) ;
- Hassan, Rosline (Department of Hematology, School of Medical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia)
- Published : 2015.07.13
Background: Mutations of the FMS-like tyrosine kinase-3 (FLT3) receptor gene may promote proliferation via activation of multiple signaling pathways. FLT3-internal tandem duplication (FLT3-ITD) is the most common gene alteration found in patients diagnosed with acute myeloid leukaemia (AML) and has been associated with poor prognosis. Materials and Methods: We performed mutational analysis of exons 14-15 and 20 of the FLT3 gene in 54 AML patients using PCR-CSGE (conformational sensitive gel electrophoresis) followed by sequencing analysis to characterise FLT3 mutations in adult patients diagnosed with AML at Hospital USM, Kelantan, Northeast Peninsular Malaysia. Results: FLT3 exon 14-15 mutations were identified in 7 of 54 patients (13%) whereas no mutation was found in FLT3 exon 20. Six ITDs and one non-ITD mutation were found in exon 14 of the juxtamembrane (JM) domain of FLT3. FLT3-ITD mutations were associated with a significantly higher blast percentage (p-value = 0.008) and white blood cell count (p-value = 0.023) but there was no significant difference in median overall survival time for FLT3-ITD+/FLT3-ITD- within 2 years (p-value = 0.374). Conclusions: The incidence of FLT3-ITD in AML patients in this particular region of Malaysia is low compared to the Western world and has a significant association with WBC and blast percentage.
Supported by : Universiti Sains Malaysia
- Abu-Duhier FM, Goodeve AC, Wilson GA, et al (2001). Identification of novel FLT-3 Asp835 mutations in adult acute myeloid leukaemia. Br J Haematol, 113, 983-8. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2141.2001.02850.x
- Ahmad F, Mandava S, Das BR (2010). Analysis of FLT3-ITD and FLT3-Asp835 mutations in de novo acute myeloid leukemia: evaluation of incidence, distribution pattern, correlation with cytogenetics and characterization of internal tandem duplication from Indian population. Cancer Invest, 28, 63-73. https://doi.org/10.3109/07357900903095649
- Betz BL, Hess JL (2010). Acute myeloid leukemia diagnosis in the 21st century. Arch Pathol Lab Med, 134, 1427-33.
- Elyamany G, Awad M, Fadalla K, et al (2014). Frequency and prognostic relevance of FLT3 mutations in saudi acute myeloid leukemia patients. Adv Hematol, 2014, 141360.
- Feng JH, Guo XP, Chen YY, et al (2012). Prognostic significance of IDH1 mutations in acute myeloid leukemia: a meta-analysis. Am J Blood Res, 2, 254-64.
- Frohling S, Schlenk RF, Breitruck J, et al (2002). Prognostic significance of activating FLT3 mutations in younger adults (16 to 60 years) with acute myeloid leukemia and normal cytogenetics: a study of the AML Study Group Ulm. Blood, 100, 4372-80. https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2002-05-1440
- Gulley ML, Shea TC, Fedoriw Y (2010). Genetic tests to evaluate prognosis and predict therapeutic response in acute myeloid leukemia. J Mol Diagn, 12, 3-16. https://doi.org/10.2353/jmoldx.2010.090054
- Karabacak BH, Erbey F, Bayram I, et al (2010). Fms-like tyrosine kinase 3 mutations in childhood acute leukemias and their association with prognosis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 923-7.
- Kiyoi H, Ohno R, Ueda R, et al (2002). Mechanism of constitutive activation of FLT3 with internal tandem duplication in the juxtamembrane domain. Oncogene, 21, 2555-63. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1205332
- Kottaridis PD, Gale RE, Frew ME, et al (2001). The presence of a FLT3 internal tandem duplication in patients with acute myeloid leukemia (AML) adds important prognostic information to cytogenetic risk group and response to the first cycle of chemotherapy: analysis of 854 patients from the United Kingdom Medical Research Council AML 10 and 12 trials. Blood, 98, 1752-9. https://doi.org/10.1182/blood.V98.6.1752
- Liang DC, Shih LY, Hung IJ, et al (2003). FLT3-TKD mutation in childhood acute myeloid leukemia. Leukemia, 17, 883-6. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.leu.2402928
- Meshinchi S, Stirewalt DL, Alonzo TA, et al (2008). Structural and numerical variation of FLT3/ITD in pediatric AML. Blood, 111, 4930-3. https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2008-01-117770
- Schnittger S, Schoch C, Dugas M, et al (2002). Analysis of FLT3 length mutations in 1003 patients with acute myeloid leukemia: correlation to cytogenetics, FAB subtype, and prognosis in the AMLCG study and usefulness as a marker for the detection of minimal residual disease. Blood, 100, 59-66. https://doi.org/10.1182/blood.V100.1.59
- Shahab S, Shamsi TS, Ahmed N (2013). Prognostic involvement of nucleophosmin mutations in acute myeloid leaukemia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 5615-20. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.10.5615
- Small D (2006). FLT3 mutations: biology and treatment. Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program, 178-84.
- Smith ML, Hills RK, Grimwade D (2011). Independent prognostic variables in acute myeloid leukaemia. Blood Rev, 25, 39-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.blre.2010.10.002
- Stirewalt DL, Radich JP (2003). The role of FLT3 in haematopoietic malignancies. Nat Rev Cancer, 3, 650-65. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc1169
- Su L, Gao SJ, Tan YH, et al (2013). Associations between age, cytogenetics, FLT3-ITD, and marrow leukemia cells identified by flow cytometry. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 5341-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.9.5341
- Thiede C, Steudel C, Mohr B, et al (2002). Analysis of FLT3-activating mutations in 979 patients with acute myelogenous leukemia: association with FAB subtypes and identification of subgroups with poor prognosis. Blood, 99, 4326-35. https://doi.org/10.1182/blood.V99.12.4326
- Wang L, Xu WL, Meng HT, et al (2010). FLT3 and NPM1 mutations in Chinese patients with acute myeloid leukemia and normal cytogenetics. J Zhejiang Univ Sci B, 11, 762-70.
- Whitman SP, Maharry K, Radmacher MD, et al (2010). FLT3 internal tandem duplication associates with adverse outcome and gene- and microRNA-expression signatures in patients 60 years of age or older with primary cytogenetically normal acute myeloid leukemia: a Cancer and Leukemia Group B study. Blood, 116, 3622-6. https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2010-05-283648
- Yamamoto Y, Kiyoi H, Nakano Y, et al (2001). Activating mutation of D835 within the activation loop of FLT3 in human hematologic malignancies. Blood, 97, 2434-9. https://doi.org/10.1182/blood.V97.8.2434
- Zeichner SB, Alghamdi S, Elhammady G, et al (2014). Prognostic significance of TP53 mutations and single nucleotide polymorphisms in acute myeloid leukemia: a case series and literature review. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1603-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.4.1603