- Volume 16 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Clinicopathology Figures and Long-term Effects of Tamoxifen Plus Radiation on Survival of Women with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma and Triple Negative Breast Cancer
- Payandeh, Mehrdad (Department of Hematology and Medical Oncology, Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Sadeghi, Masoud (Students Research Committee, Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Sadeghi, Edris (Students Research Committee, Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Aeinfar, Mehrnoush (Students Research Committee, Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2015.07.13
Background: Triple negative breast cancer (TNBC), characterized as estrogen receptor (ER), progesterone receptor (PR) and human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 Her2 negative and accounting for 10-17% of all breast carcinomas, is only partially responsive to chemotherapy and suffers from a lack of clinically established targeted therapies. The aim of the current study was to evaluate the patterns of treatment and clinicopathology figures in Kurdish patients with triple-negative breast cancer, and to compare these to other reports. Materials and Methods: Between 2001 and 2014, 950 breast cancer patients were referred to our clinic. There were 74 female patients with TNBC, including 70 patients was invasive ductal carcinoma entered into our study. ER and PR positivity was defined as positive immunohistochemical staining in more than 10% of tumor cells. Immunohistochemistry assay with anti-HER2 antibodies was used to identify HER negative (0 and 1+) or positive (2+ and 3+). HER2 gene amplification was determined by fluorescent in situ hybridization (FISH). Overall survival (OS) was plotted with GraphPad Prism 5 Software using Kaplan-Meier and log-rank tests for comparison of results. Results: The mean age in the first diagnosis for 70 patients with triple TNBC and invasive ductal carcinoma was 49.6 years that range of age was 27-82 years. All of the patients were female. Of 70 patients, 23 patients had metastasis. Thirty-two patients (45.7%) were treated with tamoxifen and 39 (55.7%) with radiotherapy. Three-year, 5-year and 10-year OS rates for all patients were 82%, 72% and 64%, respectively. Conclusions: The OS in our West Iran TNBC patients is less than reported elsewhere. However, treatment with combination of tamoxifen plus radiation increases the OS and reduces the mortality rate.
Overall survival;radiation;tamoxifen;TNBC;Kurdish Iran
- Aghili M, Lashkari M, Farrokhpey AH, et al (2013). Triple-negative breast cancer survival in Iranian patients. Acta Med Iran, 51, 560-6.
- Bayoumi Y, AbdelSamie A, Abdelsaid A, et al (2014). Locoregional recurrence of triple-negative breast cancer: effect of type of surgery and adjuvant postoperative radiotherapy. Breast Cancer (Dove Med Press), 6, 151-8.
- Bhatti AB, Khan AI, Siddiqui N, et al (2014). Outcomes of triple-negative versus non-triple-negative breast cancers managed with breast-conserving therapy. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 2577-81. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2577
- Carey LA (2011). Directed therapy of subtypes of triple-negative breast cancer. Oncologist, 16, 71-8.
- Dent R, Hanna WM, Trudeau M, et al (2009). Pattern of metastatic spread in triple-negative breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 115, 423-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-008-0086-2
- Dey N, Barwick BG, Moreno CS, et al (2013). Wnt signaling in triple negative breast cancer is associated with metastasis. BMC Cancer, 13, 537. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-13-537
- Dogra A, Doval DC, Sardana M, et al (2014). Clinicopathological characteristics of triple negative breast cancer at a tertiary care hospital in India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 10577-83.
- Foulkes WD, Smith IE, Reis-Filho JS (2010). Triple-negative breast cancer. N Engl J Med, 363, 1938-48. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMra1001389
- Hudis CA, Gianni L (2011). Triple-negative breast cancer: an unmet medical need. Oncologist, 16, 1-11.
- Kim WH, Han W, Chang JM, et al (2015). Location of Triple-Negative Breast Cancers: Comparison with Estrogen Receptor-Positive Breast Cancers on MR Imaging. PLoS One, 10, 0116344.
- Liedtke C, Mazouni C, Hess KR, et al (2008). Response to neoadjuvant therapy and long-term survival in patients with triple-negative breast cancer. J Clin Oncol, 26, 1275-81. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2007.14.4147
- Li CY, Zhang S, Zhang XB, et al (2013). Clinicopathological and prognostic characteristics of triple- negative breast cancer (TNBC) in Chinese patients: a retrospective study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3779-84. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3779
- Ovcaricek T, Frkovic SG, Matos E, et al (2011). Triple negative breast cancer - prognostic factors and survival. Radiol Oncol, 45, 46-52.
- Pal S, Luchtenborg M, Davies EA, et al (2014). The treatment and survival of patients with triple negative breast cancer in a London population. Springerplus, 3, 553. https://doi.org/10.1186/2193-1801-3-553
- Payandeh M, Sadeghi M, Fekri A, et al (2014). P53 mutation compared with Ki67 marker in metastasis of breast cancer in western Iran. J Solid Tumors, 4, 4-9.
- Payandeh M, Sadeghi M, Sadeghi E, et al (2014). Comparison of IHC, FISH, ER and PR in Breast Cancer in Western Iran. Am J Cancer Prev, 2, 37-41. https://doi.org/10.12691/ajcp-2-2-4
- Piana A, Sotgiu G, Muroni M, et al (2014). HPV infection and triple-negative breast cancers: an Italian case-control study. Virol J, 11, 190. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12985-014-0190-3
- Salami S, Ramezani F, Aghazadeh T, et al (2011). Impact of triple negative phenotype on prognosis and early onset of breast cancer in Iranian females. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 719-24.
- Sharma M, Sharma JD, Sarma A, et al (2014). Triple negative breast cancer in people of North East India: critical insights gained at a regional cancer centre. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev,15, 4507-11. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.11.4507
- Sioshansi S, Ehdaivand S, Cramer C, et al (2012). Triple negative breast cancer is associated with an increased risk of residual invasive carcinoma after lumpectomy. Cancer, 118, 3893-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.27376
- Somali I, Ustaoglu BY, Tarhan MO, et al (2013). Clinicopathologic and demographic evaluation of triple- negative breast cancer patients among a turkish patient population: a single center experience. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6013-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.10.6013
- Stevens KN, Vachon CM, Couch FJ (2013). Genetic susceptibility to triple-negative breast cancer. Cancer Res, 73, 2025-30. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-12-1699
- Steward LT, Gao F, Taylor MA, et al (2014). Impact of radiation therapy on survival in patients with triple-negative breast cancer. Oncol Lett, 7, 548-552. https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2013.1700
- Tan GH, Taib NA, Choo WY, et al (2009). Clinical characteristics of triple-negative breast cancer: experience in an Asian developing country. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 395-8.
- Wojcinski S, Soliman AA, Schmidt J, et al (2012). Sonographic features of triple-negative and non-triple-negative breast cancer. J Ultrasound Med, 31, 1531-41. https://doi.org/10.7863/jum.2012.31.10.1531
- Relationship between HER2 Proto-oncogene Status and Prognostic Factors of Breast Cancer in the West of Iran vol.17, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.1.295
- Correlations between HER2 Expression and Other Prognostic Factors in Breast Cancer: Inverse Relations with the Ki-67 Index and P53 Status vol.17, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.3.1015
- Expression of p53 Breast Cancer in Kurdish Women in the West of Iran: a Reverse Correlation with Lymph Node Metastasis vol.17, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.3.1261