- Volume 16 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Colorectal Cancer Patient Characteristics, Treatment and Survival in Oman - a Single Center Study
- Kumar, Shiyam (Department of Medicine, Sultan Qaboos University Hospital) ;
- Burney, Ikram A (Department of Medicine, Sultan Qaboos University Hospital) ;
- Zahid, Khawaja Farhan (Department of Medicine, Sultan Qaboos University Hospital) ;
- Souza, Philomena Charlotte D (Nursing Directorate, Sultan Qaboos University Hospital) ;
- Belushi, Muna AL (Nursing Directorate, Sultan Qaboos University Hospital) ;
- Mufti, Taha Dawood (Department of Medicine, Sultan Qaboos University Hospital) ;
- Meki, Waeil AL (Department of Medicine, Sultan Qaboos University Hospital) ;
- Furrukh, Muhammad (Department of Medicine, Sultan Qaboos University Hospital) ;
- Moundhri, Mansour S AL (College of Medicine and Health Sciences, Sultan Qaboos University)
- Published : 2015.07.13
Background: Colorectal cancer is the most common gastrointestinal cancer in Oman with an increasing incidence. We here report the presenting features, treatment outcomes and survival in a University hospital in Oman and compare our data with regional and international studies. Materials and Methods: Medical records of patients with colorectal cancer were reviewed retrospectively between June 2000 and December 2013 and were followed until June 2014. Results: A total of 162 patients were diagnosed with colorectal cancer. The majority were males (58.6%), with a median age of 56 years. Rectum was involved in 29.6% of patients, followed by ascending and sigmoid colon. The majority of patients had stage III (42.6%) and stage IV (32.7%) disease at presentation. K-Ras status was checked for 79 patients, and 41 (51.9%) featured the wild type. Median relapse free survival was 22 months. Median overall survival for all patients was 43 months. Observed 5 year overall survival (OS) for stages I, II and III was 100%, 60% and 60% respectively. On Log rank univariate analysis, age, BMI, diabetes, hypertension, metformin use, stage, clinical nodal status for rectal cancer, pathological T and nodal status, site of metastasis, surgical intervention, chemotherapy, radiotherapy, chemotherapy regimen, no of cycles of chemotherapy, response, RFS, site of recurrence and administration of
- Al-Ahwal MS, Shafik YH, HM A-A (2013). First national survival data for colorectal cancer among Saudis between 1994 and 2004: what's next? BMC Public Health, 13, 73. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-13-73
- Al-Shamsi SR, Bener A, Al-Sharhant M, et al (2003). Clinicopathological pattern of colorectal cancer in the United Arab Emirates. Saudi Med J, 24, 518-22.
- Aljebreen AM (2007). Clinico-pathological patterns of colorectal cancer in Saudi Arabia: younger with an advanced stage presentation. Saudi J Gastroenterol, 13, 84-7. https://doi.org/10.4103/1319-3767.32183
- Alsina J, Choti MA (2011). Liver-directed therapies in colorectal cancer. Semin Oncol, 38, 561-7. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.seminoncol.2011.05.010
- Amin TT, Suleman W, Al Taissan AA, et al (2012). Patients' profile, clinical presentations and histopathological features of colo-rectal cancer in Al Hassa region, Saudi Arabia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 211-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.1.211
- Andre T, Boni C, Mounedji-Boudiaf L, et al (2004). Oxaliplatin, fluorouracil, and leucovorin as adjuvant treatment for colon cancer. New England J Med, 350, 2343-51. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa032709
- Benson AB, 3rd, Bekaii-Saab T, Chan E, et al (2013). Localized colon cancer, version 3.2013: featured updates to the NCCN Guidelines. J Natl Compr Canc Netw, 11, 519-28. https://doi.org/10.6004/jnccn.2013.0069
- Bhurgri Y, Khan T, Kayani N, et al (2011). Incidence and current trends of colorectal malignancies in an unscreened, low risk Pakistan population. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 703-8.
- Bozkurt O, Inanc M, Turkmen E, et al (2014). Clinicopathological characteristics and prognosis of patients according to recurrence time after curative resection for colorectal cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 9277-81. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.21.9277
- Center MM, Jemal A, Smith RA, et al (2009). Worldwide variations in colorectal cancer. A Cancer J Clin, 59, 366-78. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20038
- Chen LK, Hwang SJ, Li AF, et al (2001). Colorectal cancer in patients 20 years old or less in Taiwan. South Med J, 94, 1202-5. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007611-200112000-00014
- Chiu J, Tang V, Leung R, et al (2013). Efficacy and tolerability of adjuvant oral capecitabine plus intravenous oxaliplatin (XELOX) in Asian patients with colorectal cancer: 4-year analysis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6585-90. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6585
- Ciccolallo L, Capocaccia R, Coleman MP, et al (2005). Survival differences between European and US patients with colorectal cancer: role of stage at diagnosis and surgery. Gut, 54, 268-73. https://doi.org/10.1136/gut.2004.044214
- Duran AO, Karaca H, Besiroglu M, et al (2014). XELOX plus bevacizumab vs. FOLFIRI plus bevacizumab treatment for first-line chemotherapy in metastatic colon cancer: a retrospective study of the anatolian society of medical oncology. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 10375-9.
- El-Bolkainy TN, Sakr MA, Nouh AA, et al (2006 Sep). A comparative study of rectal and colonic carcinoma: demographic, pathologic and TNM staging analysis. J Egypt Natl Canc Inst, 18, 258-63.
- Elmunzer BJ, Hayward RA, Schoenfeld PS, et al (2012). Effect of flexible sigmoidoscopy-based screening on incidence and mortality of colorectal cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. PLoS Med, 9, 1001352. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1001352
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, et al (2010). Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008: GLOBOCAN 2008. Int J Cancer, 127, 2893-917. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25516
- Gatta G, Capocaccia R, Sant M, et al (2000). Understanding variations in survival for colorectal cancer in Europe: a EUROCARE high resolution study. Gut, 47, 533-8. https://doi.org/10.1136/gut.47.4.533
- Hajmanoochehri F, Asefzadeh S, Kazemifar AM, et al (2014). Clinicopathological features of colon adenocarcinoma in Qazvin, Iran: a 16 year study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 951-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.2.951
- Hassan AS, Naicker M, Yusof KH, et al (2015). Prognostic factors and the role of adjuvant chemotherapy in post-curative surgery for dukes B and C colon cancers and survival outcomes: a malaysian experience. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 2237-43. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.6.2237
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. Ca: A Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Karnak I, Ciftci AO, Senocak ME, et al (1999). Colorectal carcinoma in children. J Pediatr Surg, 34, 1499-504. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3468(99)90112-4
- Khurshed A, Ahmed R, Y. B (2007 Oct-Dec). Primary gastrointestinal malignancies in childhood and adolescence--an Asian perspective. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 8, 613-7.
- Kucukzeybek Y, Dirican A, Demir L, et al (2015). Adjuvant chemotherapy and prognostic factors in stage II colon cancer-izmir oncology group study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 2413. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.6.2413
- Labianca R, Nordlinger B, Beretta GD, et al (2010). Primary colon cancer: ESMO Clinical Practice Guidelines for diagnosis, adjuvant treatment and follow-up. Ann Oncol, 21, 70-7. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdq168
- Lopez-Abente G, Ardanaz E, Torrella-Ramos A, et al (2010). Changes in colorectal cancer incidence and mortality trends in Spain. Ann Oncol, 21, 76-82.
- Magaji BA, Moy FM, Roslani AC, et al (2014). Descriptive epidemiology of colorectal cancer in University Malaya Medical Centre, 2001 to 2010. Asian Pac J Cancer Prevention, 15, 6059-64. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.6059
- Mahdavinia M, Bishehsari F, Ansari R, et al (2005). Family history of colorectal cancer in Iran. BMC Cancer, 5, 112. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-5-112
- McClements PL, Madurasinghe V, Thomson CS, et al (2012). Impact of the UK colorectal cancer screening pilot studies on incidence, stage distribution and mortality trends. Cancer Epidemiol, 36, 232-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canep.2012.02.006
- Nangia-Makker P, Yu Y, Vasudevan A, et al (2014). Metformin: a potential therapeutic agent for recurrent colon cancer. PloS One, 9, 84369. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0084369
- Nasseri K, Mills PK, M A (2007). Cancer incidence in the middle Eastern population of California, 1988-2004. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 8, 405-11.
- NCCN. 2014. NCCN Clinical practice guidelines in oncology. Colon cancer version 2.2015 [Online]. National comprehensive cancer network. Available: http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp [Accessed 28/11/2014.
- Omranipour R, Mahmoodzadeh H, Safavi F (2014). Prevalence of local recurrence of colorectal cancer at the Iranian cancer institute. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 8587-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.20.8587
- Phipps AI, Scoggins J, Rossing MA, et al (2012). Temporal trends in incidence and mortality rates for colorectal cancer by tumor location: 1975-2007. Am J Public Health, 102, 1791-7. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2011.300393
- Ponz de Leon M, Marino M, Benatti P, et al (2004). Trend of incidence, subsite distribution and staging of colorectal neoplasms in the 15-year experience of a specialised cancer registry. Ann Oncol, 15, 940-6. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdh224
- Rozen P, Rosner G, Liphshitz I, et al (2007). The changing incidence and sites of colorectal cancer in the Israeli Arab population and their clinical implications. Int J Cancer, 120, 147-51. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.22141
- Ryu SY, Crespi CM, Maxwell AE (2013). Colorectal cancer among Koreans living in South Korea versus California: incidence, mortality, and screening rates. Ethn Health [Epub ahead of print].
- Sant M, Allemani C, Santaquilani M, et al (2009). EUROCARE-4. Survival of cancer patients diagnosed in 1995-1999. Results and commentary. Eur J Cancer, 45, 931-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2008.11.018
- Schoen RE, Pinsky PF, Weissfeld JL, et al (2012). Colorectal-cancer incidence and mortality with screening flexible sigmoidoscopy. N Engl J Med, 366, 2345-57. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1114635
- Shaikh AJ, Raza S, Shaikh AA, et al (2009 Jul-Sep). Demographics, pathologic patterns and long-term survival in operable colon cancers: local experience in Pakistan. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 361-4.
- Sultan I, Rodriguez-Galindo C, El-Taani H, et al (2010). Distinct features of colorectal cancer in children and adolescents: a population-based study of 159 cases. Cancer, 116, 758-65. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.24777
- Tseng C-H (2012). Diabetes, metformin use, and colon cancer: a population-based cohort study in Taiwan. European J Endocrinol, 167, 409-16. https://doi.org/10.1530/EJE-12-0369
- Twelves C, Wong A, Nowacki MP, et al (2005). Capecitabine as adjuvant treatment for stage III colon cancer. New England J Med, 352, 2696-704. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa043116
- Verdecchia A, Francisci S, Brenner H, et al (2007). Recent cancer survival in Europe: a 2000-02 period analysis of EUROCARE-4 data. Lancet Oncol, 8, 784-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(07)70246-2
- Veruttipong D, Soliman AS, Gilbert SF, et al (2012 Aug). Age distribution, polyps and rectal cancer in the Egyptian population-based cancer registry. World J Gastroenterol, 18, 3997-4003. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v18.i30.3997
- Application of the Parametric Regression Model with the Four-Parameter Log-Logistic Distribution for Determining of the Effecting Factors on the Survival Rate of Colorectal Cancer Patients in the Presence of Competing Risks vol.19, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5812/ircmj.55609
- Awareness of Stomach and Colorectal Cancer Risk Factors, Symptoms and Time Taken to Seek Medical Help Among Public Attending Primary Care Setting in Muscat Governorate, Oman pp.1543-0154, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13187-017-1266-8