- Volume 16 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Risk Factors and Epidemiology of Gastric Cancer in Pakistan
- Daniyal, Muhammad (Faculty of Eastern Medicine and Surgery, Hamdard University) ;
- Ahmad, Saeed (Department of Pharmacy, Faculty of Pharmacy & Alternative Medicine, The Islamia University of Bahawalpur) ;
- Ahmad, Mukhtiar (University College of Conventional Medicine, Faculty of Pharmacy & Alternative Medicine, The Islamia University of Bahawalpur, faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, The University of Poonch) ;
- Asif, Hafiz Muhammad (Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, The University of Poonch) ;
- Akram, Muhammad (Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, The University of Poonch) ;
- Rehman, Saif Ur (Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, The University of Poonch) ;
- Sultana, Sabira (University College of Conventional Medicine, Faculty of Pharmacy & Alternative Medicine, The Islamia University of Bahawalpur, faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, The University of Poonch)
- Published : 2015.07.13
Gastric cancer is the 2nd most common cause of death among all cancers and is the 4th most common cancer in the world. The number of deaths due to gastric cancer is about 800,000 annually. Gastric cancer is more common in men as compared to women and is 3rd most common cancer after colorectal and breast cancers in women. A progressive rise in the incidence rate has been observed in females over the last 5 years. The highest incidence of stomach cancer is in China, South America and Eastern Europe. The incidence of gastric cancer has 20 fold variation worldwide. Global variation is linked by two factors which play important role in developing gastric cancer. One is infection with Helicobacter pylori and the
Epidemiology;risk factors;gastric cancer;Pakistan;literature review
- Abdifard E, Ghaderi S, Hosseini S, et al (2013). Incidence trends of colorectal cancer in the West of Iran during 2000-2005. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 1807-11. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.1807
- Ahmad T, Sohail K, Rizwan M, et al (2009). Prevalence of Helicobacter pylori pathogenicity associated cagA and vacA genotypes among Pakistani dyspeptic patients. FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol, 55, 34-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1574-695X.2008.00492.x
- Aman U, Ziauddin I, Khalid M (2003). Geographical distribution and histological presentation of gastric carcinoma in NWFP. J Postgrad Med Inst, 17, 111-5.
- Aoki K (2006). Early history of cancer epidemiology and prevention in Japan. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 7, 170-6.
- Atrkar Z, Kazemnejad A, Mansour F, et al (2013). Trend analysis of gastrointestinal cancer incidences in Guilan province: comparing rates over 15 years. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 7587-93. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.12.7587
- Babaei M, Mousavi S, Malek M, et al (2005). Cancer occurrence in Semnan Province, Iran: results of a population-based cancer registry. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 6, 159-64.
- Basiri Z, Safaralizadeh R, Bonyadi MJ, et al (2014). Helicobacter pylori vacA d1 genotype predicts risk of gastric adenocarcinoma and peptic ulcers in northwestern Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1575-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.4.1575
- Bhurgri Y, Faridi N, Kazi LA, et al (2004). Cancer esophagus Karachi 1995-2002: epidemiology, risk factors and trends. J Pak Med Assoc, 54, 345-8.
- Bhurgri Y1, Pervez S, Kayani N, et al (2009). Rising incidence of gastric malignancies in Karachi, 1995- 2002. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 41-4.
- Byrne JP, Mathers JM, Parry JM, et al (2002). Site distribution of oesophagogastric cancer. J Clin Pathol, 55, 191-4. https://doi.org/10.1136/jcp.55.3.191
- Campos FI, Koriyama C, Akiba S, et al (2006). Environmental factors related to gastric cancer associated with Epstein-Barr virus in Colombia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 7, 633-7.
- Chong VH, Telisinghe P, Abdullah MS (2014). Gastric cancer in Brunei Darussalam: epidemiological trend over a 27 year period (1986-2012). Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 7281-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.17.7281
- Curado MP, Edwards B, Shin HR, et al (2007). Cancer incidence in five continents. IARC Sci Pub, 9, 160.
- Deng W, Long L, Li JL, et al (2014). Mortality of major cancers in Guangxi, China: sex, age and geographical differences from 1971 and 2005. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1567-74. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.4.1567
- Durrani A, Yaqoob A, Abbasi N (2009). Pattern of upper gastrointestinal malignancies in northern Punjab. Pak J Med Sci, 25, 302-7.
- Ejaz S, Akram W, Lim CW, et al (2004). Endocrine disrupting pesticides: a leading cause of cancer among rural people in Pakistan. Exp Oncol, 26, 98-105.
- Iqbal M, Khan M, Tariq B (2005). Gastric Carcinoma: 5 years survival after gastric surgery. J Pak Med Assoc, 55, 158.
- Jing C, Huang ZJ, Duan YQ, et al (2012). Glulathione-stransferasesgene polymorphism in prediction of gastric cancer risk by smoking and helicobacter pylori infection status. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3325-8 https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.7.3325
- Karami N, Talebkhan Y, Saberi S, et al (2013). Seroreactivity to Helicobacter pylori antigens as a risk indicator of gastric cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 1813-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.1813
- Karim S (2014). Clinicopathological and p53 gene alteration comparison between young and older patients with gastric cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1375-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1375
- Khan A, Farooqui A, Raza Y, et al (2013). Prevalence, diversity and disease association of Helicobacter pylori in dyspeptic patients from Pakistan. J Infect Dev Ctries, 7, 220-8.
- Khoshbaten M, Pishahang P, Nouri M, et al (2014). Diagnostic value of fecal calprotectin as a screening biomarker for gastrointestinal malignancies. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1667-70. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.4.1667
- Li FX, Zhang RP, Liang H, et al (2013). Validity and necessity of sub-classification of N3 in the 7th UICC TNM stage of gastric cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2091-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.2091
- Lu YF, Liu Z, Li Z, et al (2014). Esophageal/gastric cancer screening in high-risk populations in Henan Province, China. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1419-22. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1419
- Malakar M, Devi KR, Phukan RK, et al (2014). p53 codon 72 polymorphism interactions with dietary and tobacco related habits and risk of stomach cancer in Mizoram, India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 717-23. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.2.717
- Mansour-Ghanaei F, Joukar F, Baghaei SM, et al (2012). Gastric precancerous lesions in first degree relatives of patients with known gastric cancer: a cross-sectional prospective study in Guilan Province, north of Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1779-82. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.5.1779
- Marjani A, Kabir MJ, Semnani S (2007). Stomach cancer incidence among males in Golestan province, Iran. Indian J Gastroenterol, 26, 299.
- Maxwell D, Paola P, Ferlay J (1999). Estimates of the worldwide incidence of 25 major cancers in 1990. Int J Cancer, 80, 827-41. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0215(19990315)80:6<827::AID-IJC6>3.0.CO;2-P
- Mitipat N, Siripermpool P, Jadwattanakul T (2005). The prevalence of Helicobacter pylori infection in patients with gastrointestinal symptoms in Chon Buri, Thailand, Southeast. Asian J Trop Med Public Health, 36, 341-6.
- Mohagheghi M, Mosavi-Jarrahi A (2010). Review of cancer registration and cancer data in Iran, a historical prospect. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1155-7.
- Mohammad IA, Bujang MR, Telisinghe PU, et al (2014). Cancers of the young population in Brunei Darussalam. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 6357-62. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.6357
- Pourhoseingholi A, Pourhoseingholi MA, Vahedi M, et al (2008). Relation between demographic factors and type of gastrointestinal cancer using probit and logit regression. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 9, 753-5
- Roder M (2002). The epidemiology of gastric cancer. Gastric Cancer, 5, 5-11. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10120-002-0203-6
- Sadjadi A, Nouraie M, Mohagheghi MA, et al (2005). Cancer occurrence in Iran in 2002, an international perspective. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 6, 359-63.
- Shahida P, Farhat B, Shafiq R (2011). Pattern and presentation of carcinoma stomach. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak, 21, 161-63.
- Tuncel T, Karagoz B, Haholu A, et al (2014). Immunoregulatory function of HLA-G in gastric cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 7681-4.
- Unal D, Oguz A, Acmaz B, et al (2014). Lack of any association between season of diagnosis and survival of gastric cancer cases in Kayseri, Turkey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1763-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.4.1763
- Yang TF, Guo L, Wang Q (2014).Meta-analysis of associations between four polymorphisms in the matrix metalloproteinases gene and gastric cancer risk. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1263-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1263
- Zeb A, Rasool A, Nasreen S (2006). Occupation and cancer incidence in district Dir (NWFP), Pakistan, 2000-2004. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 7, 483-4.
- Zhong C, Li NK, Bi JW, et al (2012). Sodium intake, salt taste and gastric cancer risk according to helicobacter pylori infection, smoking, histological type and tumor site in China. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 2481-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.6.2481
- Zhou RP, Chen G, Shen ZL, et al (2014).Cinobufacin suppresses cell proliferation via miR-494 in BGC- 823 gastric cancer cells. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1241-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1241
- Zubair A, Romana I, Najamul S, et al (2007). Gastric carcinoma: typing, staging, lymph node and resection margin status on gastrectomy specimens. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak, 17, 539-42.
- Interleukins 17 and 23 in patients with gastric neoplasms vol.6, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1038/srep37451
- The Association Between XPG Gene Polymorphism and Gastric Cancer Risk vol.21, pp.10, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1089/gtmb.2017.0056
- MicroRNA-329 inhibits cell proliferation and tumor growth while facilitates apoptosis via negative regulation of KDM1A in gastric cancer vol.119, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/jcb.26497
- Evaluation of a multi-slice spiral computed tomography perfusion for the prediction of the recurrence of gastric cancer vol.14, pp.19, 2018, https://doi.org/10.2217/fon-2016-0541
- The Association Between AURKA Gene rs2273535 Polymorphism and Gastric Cancer Risk in a Chinese Population vol.9, pp.1664-042X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3389/fphys.2018.01124