- Volume 16 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
MicroRNAs May Serve as Emerging Molecular Biomarkers for Diagnosis and Prognostic Assessment or as Targets for Therapy in Gastric Cancer
- Mu, Yong-Ping (Department of Clinical Laboratory Center, The Affiliated People's Hospital of Inner Mongolia Medical University) ;
- Sun, Wen-Jie (School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, Tulane University) ;
- Lu, Chuan-Wen (Department of Environmental Toxicology, The Institute of Environmental and Human Health, Texas Tech University, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center) ;
- Su, Xiu-Lan (Clinical Medicine Research Center, The Affiliated Hospital of Inner Mongolia Medical University)
- Published : 2015.07.13
Gastric cancer (GC) is one of the most common cancers, with high incidences in East Asia countries. Most GC patients have been reported with low early diagnosis rate and show extremely poor prognosis. Therefore, it is necessary to develop novel and more sensitive biomarkers to improve early diagnosis and therapy in order to provide longer survival and better quality of life for gastric cancer patients. MicroRNAs (miRNAs) play crucial roles in GC development and progression. miRNAs have emerged as a novel molecular biomarker for cancer diagnosis, prognosis and therapy with surprising stability in tissues, serum or other body fluids. This review summarizes major advances in our current knowledge about potential miRNA biomarkers for GC that have been reported in the past two years.
MicroRNAs;gastric cancerv biomark
Supported by : Nature Science Foudation of Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region of China, National Natural Science Foundation of China
- Chang L, Guo F, Wang Y, et al (2014). MicroRNA-200c regulates the sensitivity of chemotherapy of gastric cancer SGC7901/DDP cells by directly targeting RhoE. Pathol Oncol Res, 20, 93-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12253-013-9664-7
- Chen L, Lu MH, Zhang D, et al (2014a). miR-1207-5p and miR-1266 suppress gastric cancer growth and invasion by targeting telomerase reverse transcriptase. Cell Death Dis, 5, 1034. https://doi.org/10.1038/cddis.2013.553
- Chen Q, Ge X, Zhang Y, et al (2014b). Plasma miR-122 and miR-192 as potential novel biomarkers for the early detection of distant metastasis of gastric cancer. Oncol Rep, 31, 1863-70. https://doi.org/10.3892/or.2014.3004
- Chen X, Ba Y, Ma L, et al (2008). Characterization of microRNAs in serum: a novel class of biomarkers for diagnosis of cancer and other diseases. Cell Res, 18, 997-1006. https://doi.org/10.1038/cr.2008.282
- Crew KD, Neugut AI (2006). Epidemiology of gastric cancer. World J Gastroenterol, 12, 354-62. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v12.i3.354
- Du Y, Wang D, Luo L, et al (2014). miR-129-1-3p Promote BGC-823 Cell Proliferation by Targeting PDCD2. Anat Rec (Hoboken), 297, 2273-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/ar.23003
- Duan JH, Fang L (2014). MicroRNA-92 promotes gastric cancer cell proliferation and invasion through targeting FXR. Tumour Biol, 35, 11013-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-014-2342-x
- Duan Y, Hu L, Liu B, et al (2014). Tumor suppressor miR-24 restrains gastric cancer progression by downregulating RegIV. Mol Cancer, 13, 127. https://doi.org/10.1186/1476-4598-13-127
- Ekimler S, Sahin K (2014). Computational Methods for MicroRNA Target Prediction. Genes (Basel), 5, 671-83. https://doi.org/10.3390/genes5030671
- El-Zimaity HM, Ota H, Graham DY, et al (2002). Patterns of gastric atrophy in intestinal type gastric carcinoma. Cancer, 94, 1428-36. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.10375
- Fesler A, Zhai H, Ju J (2014). miR-129 as a novel therapeutic target and biomarker in gastrointestinal cancer. Onco Targets Ther, 7, 1481-5.
- Fu Z, Qian F, Yang X, et al (2014). Circulating miR-222 in plasma and its potential diagnostic and prognostic value in gastric cancer. Med Oncol, 31, 164. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-014-0164-8
- Guo B, Li J, Liu L, et al (2013). Dysregulation of miRNAs and their potential as biomarkers for the diagnosis of gastric cancer. Biomed Rep, 1, 907-12. https://doi.org/10.3892/br.2013.175
- Han TS, Hur K (2015). MicroRNA-29c mediates initiation of gastric carcinogenesis by directly targeting ITGB1.Gut, 64, 203-14. https://doi.org/10.1136/gutjnl-2013-306640
- Hayes J, Peruzzi PP, Lawler S (2014). MicroRNAs in cancer: biomarkers, functions and therapy. Trends Mol Med, 20, 460-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molmed.2014.06.005
- Hibino S, Saito Y, Muramatsu T, et al (2014). Inhibitors of enhancer of zeste homolog 2 (EZH2) activate tumor-suppressor microRNAs in human cancer cells. Oncogenesis, 3, 104. https://doi.org/10.1038/oncsis.2014.17
- Hu CB, Li QL, Hu JF, et al (2014a). miR-124 Inhibits Growth and Invasion of Gastric Cancer by Targeting ROCK1. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 6543-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6543
- Hu Q, Peng J, Liu W, et al (2014b). Lin28B is a novel prognostic marker in gastric adenocarcinoma. Int J Clin Exp Pathol, 7, 5083-92.
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Keller A, Leidinger P, Gislefoss R, et al (2011). Stable serum miRNA profiles as potential tool for non-invasive lung cancer diagnosis. RNA Biol, 8, 506-16. https://doi.org/10.4161/rna.8.3.14994
- Kiga K, Mimuro H, Suzuki M, et al (2014). Epigenetic silencing of miR-210 increases the proliferation of gastric epithelium during chronic Helicobacter pylori infection. Nat Commun, 5, 4497. https://doi.org/10.1038/ncomms5497
- Komatsu S, Ichikawa D, Tsujiura M, et al (2013). Prognostic impact of circulating miR-21 in the plasma of patients with gastric carcinoma. Anticancer Res, 33, 271-6.
- Lasser C (2013). Identification and analysis of circulating exosomal microRNA in human body fluids. Methods Mol Biol, 1024, 109-28. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-62703-453-1_9
- Lee Y, Ahn C, Han J, et al (2003). The nuclear RNase III Drosha initiates microRNA processing. Nature, 425, 415-9. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature01957
- Li L, Sheng Y, Lv L, et al (2013). The association between two microRNA variants (miR-499, miR-149) and gastrointestinal cancer risk: a meta-analysis. PLoS One, 8, 81967. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0081967
- Li L, Zhou L, Li Y, et al (2014a). MicroRNA-21 stimulates gastric cancer growth and invasion by inhibiting the tumor suppressor effects of programmed cell death protein 4 and phosphatase and tensin homolog. J buon, 19, 228-36.
- Li LP, Wu WJ, Sun DY, et al (2014b). miR-449a and CDK6 in gastric carcinoma. Oncol Lett, 8, 1533-8. https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2014.2370
- Li R, Yuan W, Mei W, et al (2014c). MicroRNA 520d-3p inhibits gastric cancer cell proliferation, migration, and invasion by downregulating EphA2 expression. Mol Cell Biochem, 396, 295-305. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11010-014-2164-6
- Li X, Wang F, Qi Y (2014d). MiR-126 inhibits the invasion of gastric cancer cell in part by targeting Crk. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci, 18, 2031-7.
- Liu D, Hu X, Zhou H, et al (2014a). Identification of Aberrantly Expressed miRNAs in Gastric Cancer. Gastroenterol Res Pract, 2014, 473817.
- Liu LY, Wang W, Zhao LY, et al (2014b). Mir-126 inhibits growth of SGC-7901 cells by synergistically targeting the oncogenes PI3KR2 and Crk, and the tumor suppressor PLK2. Int J Oncol, 45, 1257-65. https://doi.org/10.3892/ijo.2014.2516
- Ma GJ, Gu RM, Zhu M, et al (2013a). Plasma post-operative miR-21 expression in the prognosis of gastric cancers. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 7551-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.12.7551
- Ma Y, Wang X, Jin H (2013b). Methylated DNA and microRNA in Body Fluids as Biomarkers for Cancer Detection. Int J Mol Sci, 14, 10307-31. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms140510307
- Miao L, Liu K, Xie M, et al (2014). miR-375 inhibits Helicobacter pylori-induced gastric carcinogenesis by blocking JAK2-STAT3 signaling. Cancer Immunol Immunother, 63, 699-711. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00262-014-1550-y
- Mu YP, Su XL (2012). Polymorphism in pre-miR-30c contributes to gastric cancer risk in a Chinese population. Med Oncol, 29, 1723-32. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-011-0115-6
- Mu YP, Tang S, Sun WJ, et al (2014). Association of miR-193b Down-regulation and miR-196a up-Regulation with Clinicopathological Features and Prognosis in Gastric Cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 8893-900. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.20.8893
- Naito Y, Yasuno K, Tagawa H, et al (2014). MicroRNA-145 is a potential prognostic factor of scirrhous type gastric cancer. Oncol Rep, 32, 1720-6. https://doi.org/10.3892/or.2014.3333
- Omura T, Shimada Y, Nagata T, et al (2014). Relapse-associated microRNA in gastric cancer patients after S-1 adjuvant chemotherapy. Oncol Rep, 31, 613-8. https://doi.org/10.3892/or.2013.2900
- Seok JK, Lee SH, Kim MJ, et al (2014). MicroRNA-382 induced by HIF-1alpha is an angiogenic miR targeting the tumor suppressor phosphatase and tensin homolog. Nucleic Acids Res, 42, 8062-72. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/gku515
- Shen J, Niu W, Zhou M, et al (2014a). MicroRNA-410 Suppresses Migration and Invasion by Targeting MDM2 in Gastric Cancer. PLoS One, 9, 104510. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0104510
- Shen Q, Yao Q, Sun J, et al (2014b). Downregulation of histone deacetylase 1 by microRNA-520h contributes to the chemotherapeutic effect of doxorubicin. FEBS Lett, 588, 184-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.febslet.2013.11.034
- Shin JY, Kim YI, Cho SJ, et al (2014). MicroRNA 135a suppresses lymph node metastasis through down-regulation of ROCK1 in early gastric cancer. PLoS One, 9, 85205. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0085205
- Song F, Yang D, Liu B, et al (2014). Integrated microRNA network analyses identify a poor-prognosis subtype of gastric cancer characterized by the miR-200 family. Clin Cancer Res, 20, 878-89. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-13-1844
- Song MY, Su HJ, Zhang L, et al (2013). Genetic polymorphisms of miR-146a and miR-27a, H. pylori infection, and risk of gastric lesions in a Chinese population. PLoS One, 8, 61250. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0061250
- Sun S, Sun P, Wang C, et al (2014). Downregulation of microRNA-155 accelerates cell growth and invasion by targeting c-myc in human gastric carcinoma cells. Oncol Rep, 32, 951-6. https://doi.org/10.3892/or.2014.3288
- Sun Y, Zhang K, Fan G, et al (2012). Identification of circulating microRNAs as biomarkers in cancers: what have we got? Clin Chem Lab Med, 50, 2121-6.
- Tahara T, Okubo M, Shibata T, et al (2014). Association Between Common Genetic Variants in Pre-MicroRNAs and Prognosis of Advanced Gastric Cancer Treated with Chemotherapy. Anticancer Res, 34, 5199-204.
- Tan Z, Jiang H, Wu Y, et al (2014). miR-185 is an independent prognosis factor and suppresses tumor metastasis in gastric cancer. Mol Cell Biochem, 386, 223-31. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11010-013-1860-y
- Tian SB, Yu JC, Kang WM, et al (2014). [MicroRNA and gastric cancer]. Zhongguo Yi Xue Ke Xue Yuan Xue Bao, 36, 214-7.
- Tsai MM, Wang CS, Tsai CY, et al (2014). MicroRNA-196a/-196b promote cell metastasis via negative regulation of radixin in human gastric cancer. Cancer Lett, 351, 222-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2014.06.004
- Tsujiura M, Komatsu S, Ichikawa D, et al (2014). Circulating miR-18a in plasma contributes to cancer detection and monitoring in patients with gastric cancer. Gastric Cancer.
- Tufekci KU, Meuwissen RL, Genc S (2014). The role of microRNAs in biological processes. Methods Mol Biol, 1107, 15-31. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-62703-748-8_2
- Wang T, Ge G, Ding Y, et al (2014a). MiR-503 regulates cisplatin resistance of human gastric cancer cell lines by targeting IGF1R and BCL2. Chin Med J (Engl), 127, 2357-62.
- Wang W, Li F, Zhang Y, et al (2013). Reduced expression of miR-22 in gastric cancer is related to clinicopathologic characteristics or patient prognosis. Diagn Pathol, 8, 102. https://doi.org/10.1186/1746-1596-8-102
- Wang Z, Cai Q, Jiang Z, et al (2014b). Prognostic Role of MicroRNA-21 in Gastric Cancer: a Meta-Analysis. Med Sci Monit, 20, 1668-74. https://doi.org/10.12659/MSM.892096
- Wu CW, Hsiung CA, Lo SS, et al (2006). Nodal dissection for patients with gastric cancer: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet Oncol, 7, 309-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(06)70623-4
- Wu JH, Yao YL, Gu T, et al (2014). MiR-421 regulates apoptosis of BGC-823 gastric cancer cells by targeting caspase-3. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 5463-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.13.5463
- Xia JT, Chen LZ, Jian WH, et al (2014). MicroRNA-362 induces cell proliferation and apoptosis resistance in gastric cancer by activation of NF-kappaB signaling. J Transl Med, 12, 33. https://doi.org/10.1186/1479-5876-12-33
- Xu Q, Dong Q, He C, et al (2014a). A new polymorphism biomarker rs629367 associated with increased risk and poor survival of gastric cancer in chinese by up-regulated miRNA-let-7a expression. PLoS One, 9, 95249. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0095249
- Xu Y, Huang Z, Liu Y (2014b). Reduced miR-125a-5p expression is associated with gastric carcinogenesis through the targeting of E2F3. Mol Med Rep, 10, 2601-8. https://doi.org/10.3892/mmr.2014.2567
- Xu Y, Jin J, Liu Y, et al (2014c). Snail-regulated MiR-375 inhibits migration and invasion of gastric cancer cells by targeting JAK2. PLoS One, 9, 99516. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0099516
- Xu YJ, Fan Y (2014). MiR-215/192 participates in gastric cancer progression. Clin Transl Oncol, 17, 34-40.
- Yan W, Wang S, Sun Z, et al (2014). Identification of microRNAs as potential biomarker for gastric cancer by system biological analysis. Biomed Res Int, 2014, 901428.
- Yang M, Shan X, Zhou X, et al (2014a). miR-1271 regulates cisplatin resistance of human gastric cancer cell lines by targeting IGF1R, IRS1, mTOR, and BCL2. Anticancer Agents Med Chem, 14, 884-91. https://doi.org/10.2174/1871520614666140528161318
- Yang O, Huang J, Lin S (2014b). Regulatory effects of miRNA on gastric cancer cells. Oncol Lett, 8, 651-6. https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2014.2232
- Yang Q, Jie Z, Ye S, et al (2014c). Genetic variations in miR-27a gene decrease mature miR-27a level and reduce gastric cancer susceptibility. Oncogene, 33, 193-202. https://doi.org/10.1038/onc.2012.569
- Yang Q, Zhang C, Huang B, et al (2013). Downregulation of microRNA-206 is a potent prognostic marker for patients with gastric cancer. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol, 25, 953-7. https://doi.org/10.1097/MEG.0b013e32835ed691
- Zhang R, Wang W, Li F, et al (2014a). MicroRNA-106b-25 expressions in tumor tissues and plasma of patients with gastric cancers. Med Oncol, 31, 243. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-014-0243-x
- Zhang XL, Shi HJ, Wang JP, et al (2014b). MicroRNA-218 is upregulated in gastric cancer after cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy and increases chemosensitivity to cisplatin. World J Gastroenterol, 20, 11347-55. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v20.i32.11347
- Zheng G, Xiong Y, Xu W, et al (2014). A two-microRNA signature as a potential biomarker for early gastric cancer. Oncol Lett, 7, 679-84. https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2014.1797
- Zheng L, Pu J, Qi T, et al (2013). miRNA-145 targets v-ets erythroblastosis virus E26 oncogene homolog 1 to suppress the invasion, metastasis, and angiogenesis of gastric cancer cells. Mol Cancer Res, 11, 182-93. https://doi.org/10.1158/1541-7786.MCR-12-0534
- Zhou X, Li L, Su J, et al (2014). Decreased miR-204 in H. pylori-associated gastric cancer promotes cancer cell proliferation and invasion by targeting SOX4. Scientifica (Cairo), 9, 101457.
- Zhu ED, Li N, Li BS, et al (2014a). miR-30b, Down-Regulated in Gastric Cancer, Promotes Apoptosis and Suppresses Tumor Growth by Targeting Plasminogen Activator Inhibitor-1. PLoS One, 9, 106049. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0106049
- Zhu M, Zhang N, He S (2014b). Similarly up-regulated microRNA-106a in matched formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded and fresh frozen samples and the dynamic changes during gastric carcinogenesis and development. Pathol Res Pract, 210, 909-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prp.2014.07.008
- Evaluation of microRNA-205 expression as a potential triage marker for patients with low-grade squamous intraepithelial lesions vol.13, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2017.5909
- downregulation is associated with tumor grade and viral infections in gastric adenocarcinoma vol.234, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/jcp.27106