- Volume 41 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Decentralized Self-Control Strategy for Assembly Cell Using Bucket Brigade
Bucket Brigade를 기반으로 한 분산자율형 조립셀 운영전략
- Koo, Pyung Hoi (Department of Systems Management and Engineering, Pukyong National University)
- 구평회 (부경대학교 시스템경영공학부)
- Received : 2015.02.09
- Accepted : 2015.06.09
- Published : 2015.08.15
A bucket-brigade is a way of transporting items where items are passed from one person to the next. The operation of the bucket brigade imitates the cooperative behavior of ants when brood, food or other resources are moved. Koo (2009) presented a bucket brigade-based assembly cell where each worker follows a simple rule: perform assembly operations on a product until the next worker downstream takes it over; then go back to the previous worker upstream to take over a new assembly job. In this way, the flow line is self-balanced without any predetermined job assignment. However, there are some productivity losses related to hand-off and blocking. This paper examines the hand-off and blocking losses and presents a new bucket brigade-based assembly cell where working areas for each assembler is restricted with the help of buffer interfaces. Simulation experiments are used to validate the performance of the new assembly system.
- Anderson, C., Boomsma, J. J., and Bartholdi, J. J. (2002), Task partitioning in insect societies: bucket brigades, Insectes Sociaux, 49, 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00040-002-8269-z
- Bartholdi, J. J. and Eisenstein, D. D. (1996), A production line that balances itself, Operations Research, 44(1), 21-34. https://doi.org/10.1287/opre.44.1.21
- Bartholdi, J. J., Eisenstein, D. D., and Foley, R. D. (2001), Performance of bucket brigades when work is stochastic, Operations Research, 49(5), 710-719. https://doi.org/10.1287/opre.49.5.710.10609
- Bartholdi, J. J., Eisenstein, D. D., and Lim, Y. F. (2006) , Bucket brigades on in-tree assembly networks, European Journal of Operational Research, 168(3), 870-879. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2004.07.034
- Becker, C. and Scholl, A. (2006), A survey on problems and methods in generalized assembly line balancing, European Journal of Operational Research, 168, 694-715. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2004.07.023
- Bratcu, A. I. and Dolgui, A. (2005), A survey of self-balancing production lines("bucket brigade"), Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, 16, 139-158. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10845-004-5885-7
- Chung, D.-K. and Yoon, W.-Y. (2015), A case study on productivity improvement for conveyor assembly production line in medium and small-sized manufacturing factories, Journal of the Korean Institute of Industrial Engineering, 41(2), 209-219. https://doi.org/10.7232/JKIIE.2015.41.2.209
- Hopp, W. J. and Spearman, M. L. (2008), Factory Physics, Third Edition, Waveland Press Inc., Illinois, USA.
- Hu, S. J., Ko, J., Weyand, J., ElMaraghy, H. A., Lien T. K., Koren, Y., Bley, H., Chryssolouris, G., Nasr, N., and Shpitalni, M. (2011), Assembly system design and operations for product variety, CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology, 60, 715-733. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cirp.2011.05.004
- Johnson, D. J. (2005), Converting assembly lines to assembly cells at sheet metal products : Insights on performance improvements, International Journal of Production Research, 43(7), 1483-1509. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207540412331299594
- Koo, P.-H. (2009), Application of bucket brigades in assembly cells for self work balancing, IE Interfaces, 22(2), 144-152.
- Lim, Y. F. and Wu, Y. (2013), Cellular bucket brigades on U-Lines with discrete work stations, Production and Operations Management, 23(7), 1113-1128.
- Quader, S. and Castillo-Villar, K. K. (2013), A state-of-the-art matrix analysis of bucket brigade. Proceedings of Industrial and systems engineering research conference 2013, Institute of Industrial Engineers, SanJuan, Puerto Rico.
- Ruiz-Torres, A. J. and Mahmood, F. (2007), Impact of worker and shop flexibility on assembly cells, International Journal of Production Research, 45(6), 1369-1388. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207540600690727
- Scholl, A. and Becker, C. (2006), State-of-the-art exact and heuristic solution procedures for simple assembly line balancing, European Journal of Operational Research, 168(3), 666-693. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2004.07.022
- Sengupta, K. and Jacobs, F. R. (2004), Impact of work teams : a comparison study of assembly cells and assembly line for a variety of operating environment, International Journal of Production Research, 42(19), 4173-4193. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207540410001720421