- Volume 3 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Mechanical and Physical Properties of Roof Tile Prepared from Sugar Cane Fiber
- Wong on, Jessada (Pathumwan Institute of Technology) ;
- Surin, Prayoon (Pathumwan Institute of Technology) ;
- Apawet, Chaiyaprek (Pathumwan Institute of Technology) ;
- Eidhed, Krittee (King Mongkut's University of Technology North Bangkok) ;
- montra, Sunate (Pathumwan Institute of Technology) ;
- Aumkongthum, Kaichai (Pathumwan Institute of Technology) ;
- Thumsorn, Supaphorn (Rajamangala University of Technology Thanyaburi)
- Received : 2015.03.05
- Accepted : 2015.05.06
- Published : 2015.06.30
Sugar cane, renewable fiber resources, were used for roof tile production. Urea formaldehyde, phenol formaldehyde and isocyanate resin were used as binders in this study. Roof tile specimens with 400 mm wide, 400 mm long and 5 mm thick were prepared by compression molding. Physical and mechanical properties of the specimens were analyzed by water absorption, thickness swelling, thermal conductivity, density, modulus of rupture and modulus of elasticity. From the results, water absorption at 1 and 24 hours was 19-47 % and 38-57 %, respectively. Thickness swell at 24 hours was 15-29%. Thermal conductivity was 0.016, 0.017 and 0.019 W/m.K when using isocyanate, urea formaldehyde and phenol formaldehyde, respectively. Density of the specimens was 770-860 kg/m3. Modulus of rapture was 255-280 MPa. Modulus of elasticity was 5.1-7.6 GPa. Physical and mechanical properties of the specimens indicated that they would be applied for roof tile and construction.
- M. Mounika, K. Ramaniah, A. V. Ratna Prasad, K. Mohana Rao and K. Hema Chandra Reddy, Journal of Mater Enviromental. Science., Vol. 3, pp. 1109-1118, Japan, 2012.
- Y Xie, Q. Tong, Y. Chen, J. Liu and M. Lin, Bio Resources, Vol. 6, pp. 4055-4061, China, 2011.
- E. Chandana and S. A. Hussian, Joural of Mechanucal Civil. Engineering., Vol. 9, pp. 7-11, USA, 2013.