- Volume 13 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Effect of teenager media usage control in the era of media convergence
미디어 융합 시대에 청소년 미디어 이용 통제의 효과
- Lee, Hwan-Soo (Interdisciplinary Graduate Program in IT Law, Dankook University)
- 이환수 (단국대학교 IT법학협동과정)
- Received : 2015.05.26
- Accepted : 2015.07.20
- Published : 2015.07.28
The media addiction of teenagers became a social problem in the era of media convergence. With the national efforts, parents has limited their children's media usage for proper parenting. However, current media environment where personalized media devices such as smartphone and tablet PC are common raises questions about whether the problems of media addiction can be solved with previous approaches. Thus, this study examines how the parental controls to teens' media usage affect their media usage and emotions. According to the results that analyzed 884 teens' responses, the parental controls did not affect their usage. On the other hand, it was appeared that excessive parental controls stimulated to teens' negative emotions. These results show that parental controls are not longer effective in current media environment, which implies that new efforts from their family or government are required in order to prevent teens' media addiction.
Supported by : 단국대학교
- B. N. Kim and H. I. Choi, "Effects of Study Overprotective Parent's Raising Attitudeon University Student's Smartphone-Addiction : The Mediating Effects of Self-control", Social Science Research Revie Vol. 29, No. 1, pp. 1-25, 2013.
- G. J. Kim and S. H. Suh, "The Research on a Path-model on Adolescent's Psychological. Environmental Variables Affecting the Internet Addiction", Studies on Korean Youth, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 149-179, 2006.
- Ministry of Gender Equality & Family, DOI: http://www.prism.go.kr/homepage/researchCommon/retrieveResearchDetailPopup.do?research_id=1382000-201300011, 2013
- M. K. Chang. "The Influences of the Children's Perceived Parental Psychological Control and the Level of Self-differentiation on their School Adjustment and Academic Achievement, Emerging Challenges on the Children's Rights", Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 89-108, 2011.
- M. K. Jang and E. Y. Lee, "A Study on the Effect of Need for Internet Use and Parent Related Variables on Game Addiction", Korean Journal Of Counseling And Psychotherapy, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 1125-1138, 2007.
- M. Y. Lee and K. W. Kim, "Parents' Behavior Control Recognized by Early Adolescence and Locus of Control on Conflict Resolution Strategies in Their Friendship", Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 193-218, 2011.
- H,. K. Huh and H. S. Kim, Adolescent Developmental Psychology, Hakjisa, 2004.
- J. A. Choi and H. E. Lee, "Perceived Parental Support, Behavioral Control, Psychological Control and Adolescent Depression: The Role of Self-Control and Self-Competence as Mediators", Studies on Korean Youth, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 295-326, 2008.
- J. S. Kang and J. Y. Lee, "Q Methodological Research of Cause and Prevention of Youth TV addiction: Focusing on subjective case of Media education experts and teachers". Korean Journal of Journalism & Communication Studies, Vol. 55, No. 1, pp. 79-108, 2011.
- J. Van den Bulck and B. Van den Bergh, "The Influence of Perceived Parental Guidance Patterns on Children's Media Use: Gender Differences and Media Displacement", Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media, Vol. 44, No. 3, pp. 329-348, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15506878jobem4403_1
- KOSTAT, 2014 Youth Statistics.
- K. S. Young, "Internet addiction: symptoms, evaluation and treatment", Innovations in clinical practice: A source book, Vol. 17, pp. 19-31, 1999.
- S. D. Lamborn and A. J. Felbab, "Applying ethnic equivalence and cultural values models to African American teen's perceptions of parents", Journal of Adolescence, Vol. 26, pp. 605-622, 2003.
- W. C. Becker, "Consequences of different kinds of parental discipline", In M. L. Hoffman & L. W. Hoffman(Eds), Review of Child Development Research. New York: Russel Sage Foundation, 1964.
- Y. Kim and C. S. Lee, The Mediating Effect of Hope between Stress and Suicidal Ideation of Adolescents, Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 6, pp. 539-547, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.6.539
- Y. T. Kim, J. W. Lee, and C. H. Yang, "Influence of Adolescents Living Environment to Internet Addiction", Journal of Public Welfare Administration, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 29-55, 2008.