- Volume 13 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Strength Note Program on Mental Health of University Students in Convergence Age
강점노트 프로그램이 융복합시대 대학생의 정신건강에 미치는 영향
- Lee, Ye-Jong (Dept. of Social Welfare, Gimcheon University) ;
- Park, Sung-Joo (Dept. of Counseling Psychology, Gimcheon University)
- Received : 2015.05.18
- Accepted : 2015.07.20
- Published : 2015.07.28
This study aims to verify the effect of the strength note program by comparing and analyzing the effect of the strength note program on self-esteem and self-efficacy of university students in Convergence Age. This study targeted 70 male and female university students in G area and the subjects were asked to find their and other people's positive characteristics or strengths once a week and record them. For analysis of the collected data, frequency and percentage analysis and paired-t-test were conducted using SPSS WIN 20.0. As the result, the strength note program significantly influenced the improvement in self-esteem and self-efficacy of university students. This result demonstrates the necessity of the strength note program for improving self-esteem and self-efficacy of university students. Therefore, there is a need to provide a specific and systematic strength note program to help university students get over diverse problems. It is considered that this will help mental health, academic achievement and career search of university students and contribute to the enhancement in happiness and the quality of life. Also it will be the basis for future longitudinal studies through interdisciplinary convergency research.
Strength Note;Self-Esteem;Self-Efficacy;University Student;Mental Health;Convergence Age
Supported by : 김천대학교
- Seoul Economy Internet News, http;//economy.hankooki.com. May 28, 2015
- Rosenberg, M. "Society and adolescent self-image". Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. 1965.
- Bandura, A. "Self-efficacy: The exercise of control". New York: Freeman.
- E. J. Kim., J. Y. Lee & K. J. Oh, "The Effects of Self-Perception, Perceived Social support and Coping behavior on adjustment of University students : six-month follow up study". '92 The Korean Psychological Association Annual Conference, pp. 525-534, 1992.
- D. Saleebey, "The Strength perspective in Social Work Practice: Extensions & Cautions". Social Work, Vol. 41, pp. 296-306, 1996.
- J. Y. Kim & S. M. Kwon, The influence of character strengths on mental health. The Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, Vol.32, No. 4, pp. 783-802, 2013. https://doi.org/10.15842/kjcp.2013.32.4.002
- M. K. Kim, "Relationship on University Students' Strengths, Family Strengths, and Happiness". Journal of family relations, Vol.16, No. 4, pp. 47-68. 2012.
- M. J. Kim, "The Mediating effect of Self--Acceptance on the relation between Character Strengths and Happiness". Master's thesis. Myungji University, Korea. 2011.
- R. M. Tipton & Worthington, E. L., Jr. "The measurement of generalized self-efficacy: A study in construct validity". Journal of Personality Assessment, Vol. 48, pp. 545-548, 1984 https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327752jpa4805_14
- S. M. Yang, "The Development and effectiveness of group program on empowerment for the parents with mentally retarded adults". Doctoral dissertation. Seoul National University, Korea, 2000.
- Crandall. R., "The measurement of self-esteem and related constructs". In J. P.Robinson, & P. R. Shaver, Measures of social psychological attitudes(Revised ed.), pp.45-168. Ann Arbor, MI:Institute for Social Research, 1973.
- Jeon, BJ. "Self-esteem : A test of its measurability. Yonse nonch'ong", Vol. 11, pp. 109-129, 1974.
- J. Y. Jung, "A Study on the Causal Relationship between Life Quality and Happiness, Impotent Feeling, and Pride of the Participants in Elderly Citizens' Exercise of the Welfare Facilities". Doctoral dissertation. Chosun University. Korea, 2008.
- C. B. Pack, "Feelings of Self-Efficacy in Elderly Citizens Participating in Health Promotion Programs and Its Effects on Self-Esteem and Quality of Life". Doctoral dissertation. Kyunghee University, Korea, 2011.
- S. H. Ahn, & M. Y. Park, "Determinants of the General Self-Esteem: Influences of Self-View, Importance, and Acceptance of Specific Domains". Korean Journal of Psychology: General, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 109-140, 2005.
- O. K. Baek & C. J. Kim, "Analysis on the primary of character strength that affects the life satisfaction of university students". Journal of The Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 228-236, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.1.228
- S. Y. Park, "The Affection of Self-efficacy and Self-esteem on the College Life Adjustment". Master's thesis. Sookmyung Women's University, Korea. 2003.
- K. H. Kang, & J. W. Lee, "Study about the relationship between self-esteem, depression and stress of students according to school system". Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 5, No.4, pp. 69-74, 2014. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2014.5.4.069