- Volume 13 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
The Effects of CEO's Transformational Leadership on Members' Innovative Behavior and Organizational Citizenship Behavior in the ICT Industry: The Mediating Effects of Self-Efficacy
ICT 산업 CEO의 변혁적 리더십이 구성원의 혁신행동과 조직시민행동에 미치는 영향 : 자기효능감의 매개효과
- Hwang, Kyu-Ha (Dept. of Convergence Industry, Seoul Venture University) ;
- Park, Hyeon-Suk (Dept. of Convergence Industry, Seoul Venture University)
- Received : 2015.05.22
- Accepted : 2015.07.20
- Published : 2015.07.28
CEO's leadership is considered most important to cope with the rapidly changing ICT industry environment. Thus, this study attempted to investigate the impacts of the CEO's transformational leadership (referred to as "TL") on the organizational members' innovative/organizational citizenship behavior("IB/OCB") in the domestic ICT businesses. For this, this study conducted an on-line survey with the employees of businesses that belonged to the ICT industry, and received 417 valid responses. The analysis results by SPSS & Amos showed that the ICT business CEO's TL had a significantly positive impact on the members' self-efficacy; the members' self-efficacy not only had a positive impact on their own IB/OCB, but also had a mediating roles in the relationship between CEO's TL and IB/OCB. The Results indicated that the TL should be a CEO's core competency to arouse the members' IB/OCB through members' self-efficacy in the ICT industry.
Transformational Leadership;Self-efficacy;Innovative Behavior;Organizational Citizenship Behavior;ICT Industry
- Soyeon Kim, Transformational Leadership, Psychological Empowerment, and Organizational Commitment of the Employees in the Foreign Invested Companies in Korea: Investigating the Moderating Effects of Organizational Contextual Factors, Ph.D. dissertation, Korea University, 2014.
- Young-Sun Kim, A Study on the Effects of Transformational Leadership on Organizational Trust and Organizational Citizenship Behavior: Focused on Organ Transplantation Institutions, Ph.D. dissertation, Hansung University, 2014.
- M. Birasnav, Knowledge management and organizational performance in the service industry: The role of transformational leadership beyond the effects of transactional leadership, Journal of Business Research, Vol. 67, pp.1622-1629, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2013.09.006
- Chung-Sik Choi, Jong-Tae Ahn, Jung-Won Kim, A Study on the Influence of Transformational and Transactional Leadership on the OCB : Focusing on the Moderating Effect of the Empowerment Korean Journal of Business Administration, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp.1243-1267, 2007.
- Yong-Se Shin & Sun-Bae Kim, The Effects of CEO's Leadership on the Organizational Effectiveness, Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp.165-175, 2013.
- Pil-yong & Hae-sool Yang, A Study on the Influence of Transformational Leadership, Trust on Creative Behavior, Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 7, pp.147-157, 2014.
- Jun-Ho Jeon & Kyung-Il Han, Impact of Supervisor's Leadership Styles on Organizatioonal Citizenship Behavior: Mediation Effects of Multi-dimensional Measure of Justice in the Service Industry, Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp.75-84, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.3.75
- Jin-Hyuk Ryu & Sun-Bae Kim, Effects of Knowledge-based Service Organization CEO' Transformational Leadership and Learning Organization Building Factors on Innovative Behavior in the Age of Convergence, Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp.147-161, 2015.
- Yeon-Ok Song, Analysis of Trends in Research on Instruction Models for ICT Teaching and Learning, Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp.539-548, 2014.
- Sang-Ho Weon & Hae-Sool Yang, A Study on the Critical Success Factors and Policy Direction of ICT-based Convergency Company, Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp.39-50, 2015.
- P. Thoms, K. S. Moore, & K. S. Scott, The relationship between self-efficacy for participating in self-managed work groups and the big five personality dimensions, Journal of Organizational, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp.349-362, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1379(199607)17:4<349::AID-JOB756>3.0.CO;2-3
- R. J. House & B. Shamir, Toward the integration of transformation, charismatic and visionary theories of leadership, in M. Chermers & M. Ayman(Eds.), Leadership Theory and Research: Perspectives and Directions, San Diego, CA: Academic Press, 1993.
- A. Bandura & R. Wood, Effects of perceived controllability and performance standards on self-regulation of complex decision making, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 56, No. 5, pp.805-814, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1245
- P. M. Podsakoff, S. B. MacKenzie, R. H. Moorman, & R. Fetter, Transformational leader behaviors and their effects on followers' trust in leader, satisfaction, and organizational citizenship behaviors, The Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 1, No 2, pp.107-142, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1016/1048-9843(90)90009-7
- J. Liu, O. L. Siu, K. Shi, Transformational Leadership and Employee Well-Being: The Mediating Role of Trust in the Leader and Self-Efficacy, APPLIED PSYCHOLOGY: AN INTERNATIONAL REVIEW, Vol. 59, No. 3, pp.454-479, 2010.
- A. N. Pieterse, D. V. Knippenberg, M. Schippers, & D. Stam, Transformational and transactional leadership and innovative behavior: The moderating role of psychological empowerment, Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol. 31, pp.609-623, 2010.
- K. S. Groves & M. A. LaRocca, An Empirical Study of Leader Ethical Values, Transformational and Transactional Leadership, and Follower Attitudes Toward Corporate Social Responsibility, Journal of Business Ethics, Vol. 103, No. 4, pp.511-528, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-011-0877-y
- S. L. Xie & W. M. Zhang, The relationships between transformational leadership, LMX, and employee innovative behavior, Journal of Applied Business and Economics, Vol. 13, No. 5, pp.87-96, 2012.
- M. S. Sharifirad, Transformational leadership, innovative work behavior, and employee well-being, Glob Bus Perspect Vol. 1, pp.198-225, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40196-013-0019-2
- D. Deichmann & D. Stam, Leveraging transformational and transactional leadership to cultivate the generation of organization-focused ideas, The Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 26, pp.204-219, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2014.10.004
- Seo Han Lee & Seung Hoon Noh, A study on the success factors of ICT Convergence type-specific start-up enterprise: mainly the case study, Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp.203-215, 2014.
- Do-Hee Kwon, Byung-Joon Moon, & Chul-Ho Cho, A Study on the Relationship between Transformational Leadership and Organizational Effect: Focusing on Emotional Intelligence of Airline Cabin Crew, Korean Journal of Business Administration, Vol. 27, No. 6, pp.881-905, 2014.
- L. J. Williams & S. E. Anderson, Job satisfaction and organizational citizenship behaviors relationships, Journal of Applied Social Psychology, Vol. 21, pp.1490-1501, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.1991.tb00483.x
- K. Lee & N. J. Allen, Organizational citizenship behavior and workplace deviance: The role of affect and cognitions, Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 87, No. 1, pp.131-142, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.87.1.131
- Seung Bae Woo, TheEffectsofUnion Satisfaction and Union Truston theOCBs, Organizational Commitment andUnion Commitment: The Moderating Effects of Cooperative Union-ManagementRelationship, Ph.D. dissertation, Soongsil Universiy, 2015.
- B. J. Avolio & T. C. Gibbons, Developing transformational leader: A life span approach, in J. A. Conger, R. N. Kanungo, & Association(Eds.), Charismatic leadership: The elusive factor in organizational effectiveness, San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, pp.276-308, 1988.
- Jun-cheol Lim & Jeongkoo Yoon, The Effects of Supervisors's Transformational and Transactional Leadership on Subordinates' Innovativeness: The Role of Self-Efficacy as a Mediator, Korean Journal of Management, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp.1-42, 1999.
- B. M. Bass & B. J. Avolio, Multifactor Leadership Questionnaire TM MLQ Leader's Workbook, Mind Garden Inc., 2015, http://www.mindgarden.com/docs/MLQLeadersWorkbookSAMPLE.pdf, Mar 12, 2015.
- A. Bandura, Self-efficacy: Toward a unifying theory of behavioral change, Psychological Review, Vol. 84, No. 2, pp.191-215, 1977. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.84.2.191
- Yeoun-Im Park, A Study on the modulating effect of authentic leadership and self efficacy on leader's coaching behavior and team performance, Ph.D. dissertation, Daejeon University, 2013.
- Kill Hoan Cho, The Influence of Self-efficacy & Affect on the relationship between Transformational Leadership & Job Attitude, Ph.D. dissertation, Chungbuk National Universit, 2014.
- R. E. Wood, A. J. Mento, & E. A. Locke, Task complexity as a moderator of goal effects: A meta-analysis, Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 72, No. 3, pp.416-425, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.72.3.416
- M. Lopez, M. Enache, J. M. Sallan, & P. Simo, Transformational leadership as an antecedent of change-oriented organizational citizenship behavior, Journal of Business Research, Vol. 66, No. 10, pp.2147-2152, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2013.02.041
- Yong Jae Kim & Jong Wan Kim, The Influence of Leadership on OBC and Organizational Commitment through Self-efficacy in Organizational Members, Korean Journal of Human Resource Development, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp.1-23, 2008.
- Hak-sik Lee & Ji-hoon Lim, Structural Equation Modeling with AMOS 20.0, Seoul: JYPHYUNJAE, 2013.
- Carmines, E. G., & McIver, J, P. (1981), "Analyzing Models with Unobserved Variables: Analysis of Covariance Structures," G. W. Bohrnstedt and E. F. Borgatta (eds), Social Measurement, CA: Sage Publications, 65-115.
- Ji-soo Kim & Gwang-rae Cho, The Effect of Transformational Leadership on Job Attitude and Performance of Organizational Sales Members: A Focus on The Mediating Role of Self Efficacy, Korean Journal of Business Administration, Autumn Conference Presentation File, pp.83-105, 2012.
- S. G. Scott & R. A. Bruce, Determinants of innovative behavior: A path model of individual innovation in the workplace, Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 37, No. 3, pp.580-607, 1994. https://doi.org/10.2307/256701
- Ishita Chatterjee & Rima Nayak, Impact of Transformational Leadership on Innovative Work Behavior and Crisis Management Skills: A Study on the Marketing and Retail Managers from West Bengal, Research Journal of Social Science & Management, Vol. 2, No. 9, 2013.
- Javed Iqbal Ghulam Abbas, Ajmal Waheed, & M. Naveed Riaz, Relationship between Transformational Leadership Style and Innovative Work Behavior in Educational Institutions, Journal of Behavioural Sciences, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp.18-32, 2012
- D. W. Organ, Organizational Citizenship Behavior: The Good Solider Syndrome, Lexington, MA: Lexington Books, 1988.
- M. S. Hashmi & R. Irshad, How transformational leadership is related to organizational citizenship behavior: The mediating role of emotional intelligence, Pakistan Journal of Commerce and Social Sciences, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp.413-425, 2014.
- Dongbo Hu, Binbin Zhang, & Meng Wang, A Study on the Relationship among Transformational Leadership, Organizational Identification and Voice Behavior, Journal of Service Science and Management, Vol. 8, 142-148, 2015. https://doi.org/10.4236/jssm.2015.81017
- Xian Qiao, A Study in the Effects of Self-efficacy on Innovative Behavior: Focusing on Moderating Effects of Job Characteristics, M.S. dissertation, Kyungpook National University, 2011.
- M. L. A. Hsu, S. T. Hou, & H. L. Fan, Creative Self-Efficacy and Innovative Behavior in a Service Setting: Optimism as a Moderator, Journal of Creative Behavior, Vol. 45, No. 4, 258-272, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2162-6057.2011.tb01430.x
- H. C. Hsiao, Y. L. Tu, J. C. Chang, & S. C. Chen, The influence of teachers' self-efficacy on innovative work behavior, International Conference on Social Science and Humanity, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp.233-237, 2011.
- Young-Shick Yoo, A Study on the Influence of Transformational leadership on the Performance: Focusing on the Mediating effects of Self-efficacy and Empowerment, Ph.D. dissertation, Chonnam National University, 2009.
- B. Afsar, Y. F. Badir, & B. B. Saeed, Transformational leadership and innovative work behavior, Industrial Management & Data Systems, Vol. 114, No. 8, pp.1270-1300, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1108/IMDS-05-2014-0152
- Marc Dussault, Teachers' self-efficacy and organizational citizenship behaviors, Psychological Reports, Vol. 98, No. 2, pp.427-432, 2006. https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.98.2.427-432
- U. Rahman, W. S. W. Sulaiman, R. Nasir, & F. Omar, The Role of job satisfaction as mediator in the relationship between self-Efficacy and organizational citizenship behavior among indonesian teachers, International Journal of Business and Social Science, Vol. 5, No. 9, pp.255-261, 2014.
- L. Margherio, D. Henry, S. Cooke, S. Montes, & K. Hughes, The Emerging Digital Economy, Washington: US Department of Commerce, 1999.
- OECD, Information economy product definitions based on the central product classification, OECD Digital Economy Papers, Vol. 158, pp.1-20, 2008.
- Bank of Korea, BOK Economic Statistics System Home page, http://ecos.bok.or.kr/EIndex.jsp, May 22, 2015.
- C. Akpotu & J. Tamunosiki-Amadi, Transformational leadership and knowledge sharing in ICT based organizations in Nigeria, International Journal of Business and Social Science, Vol. 4, No. 12, pp.100-106, 2013.
- H. C. Li & X. J. Chen, Research on the Growth Ability to Measure China's ICT Industry, Journal of Applied Sciences, Vol. 13, No. 23, pp.5615-5620, 2013.
- Yu Suk Yoon, A Study on the effects of leadership types of middle manager on organization performance: A focus on IT corporation, M.S. dissertation, Yonsei University, 2011.
- Nam Yong Jo, Dae Sung Lee, & Kun Chang Lee, An Empirical Analysis of Leadership Styles and Their Impact on Creativity: Emphasis on Korean ICT Companies, U-and E-Service, Science and Technology Communications in Computer and Information Science, Vol. 264, pp.187-196, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-27210-3_23
- D. R. Clark, Transformational Leadership, 2014, http://www.nwlink.com/-donclark/leader/transformational_leadership.html, May 16, 2015.
- J. V. Downton, Rebel leadership: Commitment and charisma in the revolutionary process. New York: The Free Press, 1973.
- J. M. Burns, Leadership, NY: Harper and Row, 1978.
- B. M. Bass, Leadership and Performance Beyond Expectations, New York: Free Press, 1985.
- B. M. Bass & B. J. Avolio, Improving Organizational Effectiveness through Transformational Leadership, CA; Sage Publications, 1994.
- Jieun, Cha, A study on the effects of transformational leadership and self-efficacy of employees on organizational effectiveness, M.S. dissertation, Hanyang University, 2013.
- Sang-Hee Lee & Chang-Dae Chun, The Mediating Effects of Self-efficacy on the Relationship between Transformational Leadership and Job Performance, Journal of Korea Contents Association, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp.427-436, 2015.