- Volume 13 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
A Convergence Study of Transformational Leadership on Organizational Devotion and Team Performance - Moderating Effects of Authenticity -
변혁적 리더십이 조직헌신과 팀성과에 미치는 영향에 관한 융합연구 - 진정성의 조절효과 -
- Park, Bong-Gyu (Dept. of Hotel & Convention Management, Dong-eui University)
- 박봉규 (동의대학교 호텔컨벤션경영학과)
- Received : 2015.06.10
- Accepted : 2015.07.20
- Published : 2015.07.28
Recently the concept of authenticity has made an issue on the study of transformational leadership. Without authenticity of leader the effect of leadership nullifies the effectiveness of leadership for the followers. This study examines convergently the effect of transformational leadership on trust, organizational devotion, and team performance with the moderating effect of authenticity focusing 232 hotel team members in Busan using structural equation model. The results are as follows: First, transformational leadership has shown significantly effective toward trust and organizational devotion. Second, trust toward team leader has shown significantly effective toward team performance, while devotion has not shown dignificantly effective. Third, authenticity has shown significantly effective for moderating effect between leadership and trust, but not effective between leadership and devotion. This paper make significant contribution by testing the concept of authenticity.
Supported by : 동의대학교
- B. Shamir and G. Eilam, "What's your story? A life-stories approach to authentic leadership development," The Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 395-417, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2005.03.005
- B. Kim and M. Chung, "Harmonizing ependency and independence: The ambidextrous effects of transformational leadership and mediating role of trust and perceived control," Korean Journal of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 453-476, 2012. https://doi.org/10.24230/ksiop.25.2.201205.453
- J. Conger, "Charismatic and transformational leadership in organizations: An insider's perspective on these developing streams of research," The Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 145-179, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1048-9843(99)00012-0
- C. Lee, K. S. Law and P. Bobko, "The importance of justice perceptions on pay effectiveness: A two-year study of a skill-based pay plan," Journal of Management, Vol. 25, No. 6, pp. 851-873, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0149-2063(99)00029-X
- S. C. Ting, "The effect of internal marketing on organizational commitment: Job involvement and job satisfaction as mediators," The Educational Administration Quarterly, Vol. 47, No. 2, pp. 353-382, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1177/0013161X10387589
- D. I. Jung and B. J. Avolio, "Opening the black box: An experimental investigation of the mediating effects of trust and value congruence on transformational and transactional leadership," Journal of Organizational Behaviors, Vol. 21, No. 8, pp. 949-964, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1002/1099-1379(200012)21:8<949::AID-JOB64>3.0.CO;2-F
- Y. B. Cho, S. H. Kwag and J. R. Ryu, "The effects of job characteristics and team leader's attitudes on creativity-Focused on mediation effect of attitudes toward divergent thinking-," Journal of Human Resource Management Review, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 431-448, 2010.
- J. H. Gillmore and B. J. Pine, "Waht consumers really want: Authenticity," Cambridge, MA: Harvard Business School Press, 2007.
- F. Walumbwa, B. Avolio, W. Gardner, T. Wernsing and S. Peterson, "Authentic leadership: Development and validation of a theory-based measure," Journal of Management, Vol. 34, No. 2, pp. 89-126, 2008.
- Y. Jeong, "The differential effects of transformational leadership and authentic leadership on team performance," Korean Management Review, Vol. 43, No. 3, pp. 705-743, 2014.
- W. L. Gardner, B. Avolio, F. Luthans and F. Walumbwa, "Can you see the real me? A self-base model of authentic leader and follower development," The Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 343-372, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2005.03.003
- D. I. Jung, C. Chow and A. Wu, "The role of transformational leadership in enhancing organizational innovation: Hypotheses and some preliminary findings," The Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 14, No. 5, pp. 525-544, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1048-9843(03)00050-X
- P. Ram and G. Prabhakar, "Leadership styles and perceived organizational politics as predictors of work related outcomes," European Journal of Social Science, Vol. 15, pp. 40-55, 2010.
- B. M. Bass and P. Steidlmeier, "Ethics, character, and authentic transformational leadership behavior," The Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 181-217, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1048-9843(99)00016-8
- Y. Jeong, S. Lee and M. Kim, "Transformational leader vs. authentic leader: Transformational leadership revisited," Korean Management Review, Vol. 41, No. 3, pp. 539-573, 2012.
- H. L. Angle and J. L. Perry, "An empirical assessment of organizational commitment and organizational effectiveness", Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 1-14, 1981. https://doi.org/10.2307/2392596
- S. Dionne, F. Yammarino, L. Atwater and W. Spangler "Transformational leadership and team performance," Journal of Organizational Change Management, Vol. 17, pp. 177-193, 2004 https://doi.org/10.1108/09534810410530601
- B. M. Bass, "Leadership and performance," New York: Free Press, 1985
- P. F. Podsakoff, S. B. Mackenzie, R. H. Moorman and R. Fetter, "Transformational leader behaviors and their effects on followers' trust in leader satisfaction and organizational citizenship behaviors," Th Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 107-142, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1016/1048-9843(90)90009-7
- L. K. Trevino, M. Brown and L. P. Hartman, "A qualitative investigation of perceived executive ethical leadership: Perceptions from inside and outside the executive suit, Human Relations, Vol. 56, No. 1, pp. 5-37, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1177/0018726703056001448
- J. K. Lee and J. H. Park, "The role of trust and value congruence as a mediator between superior's transformational, transactional leadership and outcomes," Korean Management Review, Vol. 32, No. 4, pp. 925-954, 2003.