- Volume 13 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Convergence approach to weight control behavior and online clothing product shopping
체중조절행동과 온라인의류쇼핑에 대한 융합적 접근
- Kim, Wha-Sun (Dept. of Clothing and Textiles, Hanyang University) ;
- Lee, Kyu-Hye (Dept. of Clothing and Textiles, Hanyang University)
- Received : 2015.05.06
- Accepted : 2015.07.20
- Published : 2015.07.28
This study focused on the idea that consumers who are dissatisfied with their body form tend to be more interested in weight control behavior. This research connects this relationship with consumers' risk perception on the internet and consequent decision hesitation behavior. Empirical results extracted three factors of weight control behavior: diet, physical treatment, and medication and exercise. Weight control behavior was different by gender but not by age. Consumers who were dissatisfied with their body form were likely to do exercise, but other types of dissatisfaction (weight dissatisfaction and height dissatisfaction) were not significantly related to weight control behavior. Weight dissatisfaction influenced perceived size risk significantly when shopping online. Diet, physical treatment, and medication had significant influence on perceived size risk when shopping online. Perceived size risk had significant influence on decision delay and offline switch behavior. This study took a convergence approach, which connects consumer characteristics with online shopping behavior.
- Reid, Louise, & Heather F. Ross. "Online fashion purchase: How the barriers and enablers are influencing the consumer's decision-making process. International Journal of Sales, Retailing and Marketing", Vol.4, No.2, pp.45-59, 2015.
- Kim, Hyejeong, & Mary Lynn Damhorst. "The relationship of body-related self-discrepancy to body dissatisfaction, apparel involvement, concerns with fit and size of garments, and purchase intentions in online apparel shopping. Clothing and Textiles Research Journal", Vol.4, No.2, pp. 239-254, 2010.
- Kyueun Lee, Eunju Kim, & Younghee Yom, "Body esteem, body figure discrepancy and depression in women college students. The Journal of Fundamentals of Nursing", Vol.12, No.2, pp.206-214, 2015.
- Jung Hi Rhee, "A study on effects of somatotype and stress on body cathexis and preferences of clothing image. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture", Vol.15, No.6, pp. 1084-1099, 2007. https://doi.org/10.29049/rjcc.2007.15.6.1084
- A. M. Thompson, & K. E. Chad, "The relationship of social physique anxiety to risk for developing an eating disorder in young females. Journal of Adolescent Health", Vol.31, No.2, pp.183-189, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1054-139X(01)00397-4
- Yong-Min Chun, & Sang-Hoon Jeong. "Body dissatisfaction and social physique anxiety according to the perceived body image discrepancies in college students. The Korean Journal of Sports Science", Vol.20, No.5, pp.423-437, 2011.
- KeunYoung Yook, JiWon Yun, KeunHyang Kim, ShinYoung Suh, JiHye Park, "The relationship between body-image discrepancy and psychological well-being in female college students, The Korean Journal of Woman Psychology", Vol.14, No.4, pp.665-682, 2009. https://doi.org/10.18205/kpa.2009.14.4.009
- Seon-jin Cho, "The effect of female students' obese level and weight control behavior and attitudes on stress", Master's thesis, pp.11-12, Ewha Womens University, 1997.
- Jane Wardle, Anne M. Haase, & Andrew Steptoe, "Body image and weight control in young adults: International comparisons in university students from 22 countries. International Journal of Obesity", Vol. 30, No.4, pp.644-65, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0803050
- Seung Jyo Chaung & So Young Min, "Body satisfaction and weight loss in women college students. The Journal of Fundamentals of Nursing", Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 485-492, 2006.
- Heather A. Hausenblas, Britton W. Brewer, & Judy L. Van Raalt, "Self-presentation and exercise. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology", Vol.16, No.1, pp.3-18, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1080/10413200490260026
- Eric Stice, & Heather E. Shaw, "Role of body dissatisfaction in the onset and maintenance of eating pathology: A synthesis of research findings. Journal of Psychosomatic Research", Vol, 53, No.5, pp.985-993, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3999(02)00488-9
- You Young Lee, "The effect of body perception and obesity stress on weight control behavior for women". Master's thesis, pp.18-20, Ewha Womens University, 2010.
- Eun Ha Nam, & Jin Hua Lee, "The effects of perceived risks on purchase decision behavior among Internet fashion consumers. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles", Vol.33, No.11, pp.1707-1718, 2009. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2009.33.11.1707
- Hye Kyoung Yun & Soo Ae Kweon, "Actual usage, clothing purchasing behavior and recognition toward Internet fashion shopping mall of university students. Korean Journal of Human Ecology", Vol. 12, No.2, pp.225-236, 2003.
- Deuk Ha Kim, & Kyoung Hwa Kim, "An analysis of size information on woman's tight fit jean pants of the Internet fashion shopping mall: Focused on the specialized individual fashion mall. Journal of the Korean Society of Design Culture", Vol.15, No 4, pp.34-50, 2009.
- Chang-Hoan Cho, Jaewon Kang, & Hongsik John Cheon. "Online shopping hesitation. Cyberpsychology & Behavior", Vol.9, No.3, pp.261-274, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1089/cpb.2006.9.261
- Min-Woo Lee, "Effects of product type, purchase experience and perceived risk on online shopping deferral". Master's thesis, pp.4-11, Keimyung University, 2009.
- Sheena S. Iyengar, & Mark R. Lepper. "When choice is demotivating: Can one desire too much of a good thing? Journal of Personality and Social Psychology", Vol.79, No.6, pp.995-1006, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1995
- Han Na Kim. "The effects of decision making delay on experienced emotion for Internet shopping and Internet shopping mall satisfaction. Asia Marketing Journal", Vol.10, No.1, pp.133-160. 2008.
- Eun Ha Lee, Sook Hyun Kim, Jong Myoung Choi. "Cross-channel shopping behavior between the Internet retail type and store-based retail types: Focus on information of fashion product and fabrics. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume", Vol.62, No.4, pp.46-57, 2012. https://doi.org/10.7233/jksc.2012.62.4.046
- Leslie J. Heinberg, & J. Kevin Thompson. "Body image and televised images of thinness and attractiveness: A controlled laboratory investigation. Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology", Vol.14, No.4, pp.325-338, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1521/jscp.19188.8.131.525