- Volume 13 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
The Impact of Convergence-type Conflict between Labor and Management on Union Participation Behavior and Turnover Intention
융복합형 노사갈등이 노조참여행동 및 이직의도에 미치는 영향
- Han, Jin-Hwan (Chung Cheong University)
- 한진환 (충청대학교)
- Received : 2015.05.04
- Accepted : 2015.07.20
- Published : 2015.07.28
Labor and management relation rises as a key task to solve in order to ensure corporate's sustainable competitiveness in a convergence global environment. The aim of this study is to examine the mediation effect of labor union participation behavior in the effect of convergence-type labor-management conflict on the turnover intention. Data was collected from 491 employees who were employed in medium and small enterprises in Daejeon, Chungcheongnam-do and Chungcheongbuk-do. The results are as follows. Firstly, labor-management conflict had positive (+) effect on labor union participation behavior. Secondly, labor union participation behavior had negative (-) effect on turnover intention. Thirdly, labor union participation behavior had mediating role in the relation between labor-management conflict and turnover intention. Therefore, it is necessary to respond profit and desire of the labor union members by union leaders and to enhance necessity and value of the labor union continually.
- M. Sverke, G. N. Chaison, & A. Sjoberg, "Do union mergers affect the members? Short-. and long -.term effects on attitudes and behavior," Economic and Industrial Democracy, Vol. 25, pp.103-124, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1177/0143831X04040103
- R. Y. Park, & K. S. Kim, "The Effects of Union Members' Perceptions of Union Characteristics on Union Participation : A Focus on Relative Deprivation, Social Identity, and Collective Efficacy," Korean Journal of Management, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp.1-40, 2006.
- K. G. Lee, "The Effects Of Union Members' Perceptions Of Organizational Justice On Union Participation," Journal of Human Resource Management Research, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp.151-177, 2009.
- J. M. Magenau, J. E. Martin, & M. M. Peterson, "Dual and unilateral commitment among stewards and rank and file union members," Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 31, pp.359-376, 1988. https://doi.org/10.2307/256552
- C. V. Fukami, & E. W. Larson, "Commitment to company and union: Parallel models," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 69, No. 3, pp.367-371, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.69.3.367
- J. Barling, C. J. Fullagar, & E. K. Kelloway, "The union and its members," New York: Oxford University Press, 1992.
- Y. Jeong, "Determinants of employee multiple commitments to the company and union in Canada and Sweden: Parallel models," Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of Iowa, 1990.
- J. Martin, J. Magenau, & M. Peterson, "Variables related to patterns of union stewards commitment," Journal of Labor Research, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp.323-336, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03179663
- A. W. Chan, E. Snape, & T. Redman, "Union commitment and participation among Hong Kong fireflighters: A development of an integrative model," International Journal of Human Resource Management, Vol. 15, pp.533-548. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1080/0958519042000181241
- J. B. Fuller, and K. Hester, "The impact of labor relations climates on union participation process," Journal of Research, Vol. 19, pp.113-127, 1998.
- H. I. Jeong, & G. W. Moon, "The Analysis of Worker's Effect by Perceptions about Industrial Relations Conflict in Small and Medium Business," Journal of Human Resource Management Research, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp.189-208, 2007.
- Se-Ho Park, "The Impact of Conflict between Labor and Management on Union Participation Behavior," Ph.D. Dissertation, Graduate school of Dankook University, 2010.
- B. Klandermans, "Psychology and trade union participation: Joining, acting, quitting," Journal of Occupational Psychology, Vol. 59, pp.189-204, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8325.1986.tb00224.x
- A. Shirom, "Union militancy: Structural and personal determinants," Industrial Relations, Vol. 16, pp.152-162, 1977.
- S. Bacharach, P. Bamberger, & S. Conley, "Professional and workplace control : Organizational and demographic models of teacher militancy," Industrial Relations Review, Vol. 43, pp.570-586, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1177/001979399004300505
- T. I. Chacko, "Member participation in union activities: Perceptions of union priorities, performance, and satisfaction," Journal of Labor Research, Vol. 4, pp.363-373, 1985.
- J. G. March,, & H. A. Simon, "Organizations," New York: John Wiley & Sons Inc., 1958.
- F. X. Goeddeke, & J. D. Kammeyer.-Mueller, "Perceived support in a dual organizational environment: Union participation in a university setting," Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol. 31, pp.65-83, 2010.
- S. Aryee, & Y. A. Debrah, "Members' participation in the union: An investigation of some determinants in Singapore," Human Relations, Vol. 50, pp.129-147, 1997.
- M. M. Perline, & V. P. Lorenz, "Factors influencing member participation in trade union activities," American Journal of Economics and Sociology, Vol. 29, pp.425-437, 1970. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1536-7150.1970.tb03130.x
- C. Fullagar, & J. Barling, "Dual commitment in aggressive and protective unions," Applied Psychology: An International Review, Vol. 39, pp.93-104. 1991.
- R. D. Iverson, & D. B. Currivan, "Union participation, job satisfaction, and employee turnover:An event-history analysis of the exit-voice hypothesis," Industrial Relations, Vol.42, No. 1, pp.101-105, 2003.
- F. Luthans, "Organizational Behavior," New York : McGraw-Hill, Inc., 4th ed, pp.386-396, 1985.
- J. R. Schermerhorn, J. G. Hunt, and R. N. Osborn, "Managing Organizational Behavior," 2nd ed, New York : John Wiley and Sons, Inc., pp.518-520, 1978.
- C. L. Yoo, and K. H. Lee, "The Effects Organization Conflicts Infuences to Separation Propensity," Journal of Human Resource Management Research, Vol. 6, pp.67-95, 2003.
- Yeon-Hee Park, "Effects of Union Workers' Organizational Conflict on the Dual Commitment in General Hospital," Ph. D. Dissertation Graduate School of Hanyang University, 2009.
- E. K. Kelloway, & J. Barling, "Member's participation in local union activities: Measurement, prediction, and replication," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 78, No. 2, pp.262-279, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.78.2.262
- J. P. Meyer, & N. J. Allen, "Testing the side-bet Theory of Organizational Commitment ; Some Methodological Considerations, Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 69, pp.372-378., 1984. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.69.3.372
- W. H. Molbey, "Employee Turnover : Cause, Consequences, and Control," M. A : Addision-Wesley, 1982.
- Eun-key Hwang, "Study on the Antecedents and Age Effects of IT Workers' Turnover Intentions," Master's thesis. Graduate school of Ehwa Womans University, 2007.
- T. D. Little, A. William, G. S. Cunningham, and K. F. Widaman, "To Parcel or Not in Parcel : Exploring the Question, Weighing the Merits," Structural Equation Modelling, 9, No. 2, pp. 151-173, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15328007SEM0902_1
- R. P. Bagozzi, and T. F. Heatherton, "A General Approach to Representing Multifaced Personality Constructs: Application to State Self-esteem," Structural Equation Modeling, Vol. 1, pp.35-67, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1080/10705519409539961
- J. Rushton, C. Philippe, J. Brainerd, and P. Michael, "Behavioral Development and Construct Validity: The Principle of Aggregation," Psychological Bulletin, Vol. 94, No. 1, pp.18-38. 1983. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.94.1.18
- J. E. Mathieu, and J. L. Farr, "Further Evidence for the Discriminant Validity of Measures of Organizational Commitment, Job Involvement, and Job satisfaction," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 76, No. 1, pp.127-133, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.76.1.127
- R. H. Moorman, and B. P. Niehoff, "Does Perceived Organizational Support Mediate the Relationship between Procedural Justice and Organizational Citizenship Behavior?," Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 41, pp.351-357, 1998. https://doi.org/10.2307/256913
- J. C. Anderson, and W. G., David, "Structural Equation Modeling in Practice: A Review and Recommended Two-Step Approach," Psychological Bulletin, Vol. 103, No. 3, pp.411-423, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.103.3.411
- H. Sujan, B. A. Weitz and N. Kumar, "Learning Orientation, Working Smart and Effective Selling," Journal of Marketing, Vol. 58, July, pp.39-52, 1994. https://doi.org/10.2307/1252309
- C. Fornell, & D. F. Karcker, "Evaluating Structural Equation Models with Unobservable Variables and Measurement Error", Journal of Marketing, Vol. 156, pp.39-50, 1981.