- Volume 13 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
A Study on the socio-economic impact of 3D Printing
3D프린팅이 사회·경제에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구
- Kim, Hyeon-Chang (Gyeonggi Institute of Science & Technology Promotion)
- 김현창 (경기과학기술진흥원)
- Received : 2015.05.13
- Accepted : 2015.07.20
- Published : 2015.07.28
With the expiration of main patent of printing method, public interest now has shifted to 3D printing. In this, it needs to shine a light on the negative effects, particularly in the socio-economic aspect of 3D printing. By analyzing the existing research findings, policy reports and press releases, the negative effects of 3D printing and its countermeasures were derived. The main drawbacks of 3D printing includes the following: It might cause 3D printing-related crimes(e.g. printed weapons, intellectual property infringement, etc.) and it poses a big threat to other related business sectors.(e.g. potential job loss in molding and medical equipments manufacturing industries) What's more, the nature of 3D printing that it is easy to operate attracts lots of people, which then leads to serious social and environmental problems-product liability, ethical issues, environmental pollution, and finally government's blindly excessive investment in 3D printing. To avoid such potential risks, the government should establish and enforce the institutional law, and guidelines. Government's rational investment decision is also inevitable for the short-term and long-term sustainability of 3D printing.
- Walther, G., Printing Insecurity? The Security Implications of 3D-Printing of Weapons, Science and Engineering Ethics, 2014.
- Busan Development Institute, Linkages between 3D Printer and Creative Economy, Busan Development Institute, 2014.
- Bae, D. H., "The digital preservation, the creative industries and the cultural progress under the existing copyright act", Korea Intellectual Property Society, Industrial property, vol. 32, 155-192, 2010.
- Kang, K. H., "Technological Innovation and Employment", Bank of Korea Economic Research Institute, Economic Analysis, 12(1), 53-75, 2006.
- Hyundai Research Institute, Public R&D, is the subject of creative innovation? Is the target?, Weekly Economic Review vol. 628, 2015.
- IRS Global, 3D printing(printers, materials) market, technology prospects and strategies of the domestic and foreign companies, 2013.
- Mincer, J. & Danninger, S, Technology, Unemployment, and Inflation, Working Paper, NBER Working Paper Series, 7817, 2000.
- Santoso, S.M. & Wicker, S.B., The future of three-dimensional printing : intellectual property or intellectual confinement?, new media & society, 1-18, 2014.
- Korea Copyright Commission, DRM developed to protect copyright for stereoscopic 3D printer designs, Copyright Trend vol. 18, 2013.
- Korea Culture & Tourism Institute, the effect of the proprietary DRM strategy on music market and policy implications, Korea Culture & Tourism Institute, 2008.
- Korea Health Industry Development Institute, Changes in the medical device licensing system in accordance with the 3D printing technology, KHIDI Brief, vol. 139, 2014.
- Korea Health Industry Development Institute, The future of 3D printing technology is changing healthcare industry, KHIDI Briet, vol. 111, 2014.
- Korea Institute for Industrial Economics & Trade, Catalyst for manufacturing process innovation 3D Printing Industry, Issue Paper, 2014.
- Korea Institute of Machinery & Materials, Global industry.technology trends analysis of 3D printer, Technology Policy Mechanical Engineering 71, 2013.
- Korea Institute of Science and Technology Information, Prospects and Challenges of 3D Printers, kisti market report, vol. 3 Issue 10, 2012.
- McKinsey Global Institute, Disruptive Technologies : Advances that will transform life, business, and the global economy, 2013.
- Ministry of Employment and Labor.Korea Employment Information Service, 2015 Korea Occupational Outlook, 2014.
- Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning. Korea Institute of S&T Evaluation and Planning, 2012 Survey of Research and Development in Korea, 2012.
- Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning. Korea Institute of S&T Evaluation and Planning, 2013 Technology Assessment, 2012.
- Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning, etc. the relevant Ministry, 3D Printing industry development strategy, 2014.
- Wohlers Associates, Wohlers Report 2013 : Additive manufacturing and 3D printing state of the industry, Wohler Associates, 2013.
- Gilpin, L., "The dark side of 3D printing : 10 things to watch", TechRepublic, http://www.techrepublic.com/article/the-dark-side-of-3d-printing-10-things-to-watch/, March 5, 2014.
- Krugman, P., "Sympathy for the Luddites", The New York Times, http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/14/opinion/krugman-sympathy-for-theluddites.html?ref=paulkrugman&_r=0, June 14, 2013.
- "Digital Music, the trend is DRM Free", ZDNet Korea, http://www.zdnet.co.kr/news/news_view.asp?artice_id=00000039170244&type=det&re=, 2008. 6. 24.
- "Philadelphia, started 3D printed gun regulation", ebuzz(etnews), http://www.ebuzz.co.kr/news/article.html?id=20131125800002, 2013. 11. 25.
- "The 3D printer revolution embraces a dud, Copyright", Bloter.Net, http://www.oss.kr/oss_news/546345, 2014. 7. 7.