- Volume 9 Issue 4
BACKGROUND/OBJECTS: When the functions involved in the ingestion of food occurs failure, not only loss of enjoyment of eating, it will be faced with protein-energy malnutrition. Dysmasesis and difficulty of swallowing occurs in various diseases, but it may be a major cause of aging, and elderly people with authoring and dysmasesis and difficulty of swallowing in the aging society is expected to increase rapidly. SUBJECTS/METHODS: In this study, we carried out a survey targeting nutritionists who work in elderly care facilities, and examined characteristics of offering of foods for elderly and the degree of demand of development of easily chewable and swallowable foods for the elderly who can crush foods and take that by their own tongues, and sometimes have difficulty in drinking water and tea. RESULTS: In elderly care facilities, it was found to provide a finely chopped food or ground food that was ground with water in a blender for elderly with dysmasesis. Elderly satisfaction of provided foods is appeared overall low. Results of investigating the applicability of foods for elderly and the reflection will of menus, were showed the highest response rate in a gelification method in molecular gastronomic science technics, and results of investigating the frequent food of the elderly; representative menu of beef, pork, white fish, anchovies and spinach, were showed Korean barbecue beef, hot pepper paste stir fried pork, pan fried white fish, stir fried anchovy, seasoned spinach were the highest offer frequency. CONCLUSIONS: This study will provide the fundamentals of the development of easily chewable and swallowable foods, gelification, for the elderly. The study will also illustrate that, in the elderly, food undergone gelification will reduce the risk of swallowing down to the wrong pipe and improve overall food preference.
Easily chewable;easily swallowable;elderly foods;gelification method;overall preference
- Moon HK, Kong JE. Reliability of nutritional screening using DETERMINE checklist for elderly in Korean rural areas by season. Korean J Community Nutr 2009;14:340-53.
- Kwak TK, Kim HA, Paik JK, Jeon MS, Shin WS, Park KH, Park DS, Hong WS. A study of consumer demands for menu development of senior-friendly food products: focusing on seniors in Seoul and Kyeonggi area. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 2013;29:257-65. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2013.29.3.257
- Russell RM. Changes in gastrointestinal function attributed to aging. Am J Clin Nutr 1992;55:12035-75.
- Lee KH, Park MY. Nutrient intake of the rural elderly living in Kyungnam: focusing on health and aging status, and life-satisfaction. Korean J Community Nutr 2001;6:773-88.
- Nagata A, Akita K. The development of deglutition aid food including the functional components. Rep Ind Res Inst Tottori Prefect 2006;(9):33-7.
- Ogoshi H. The role of sensory evaluation in study on mastication and swallowing. Bunkyo: Japan Women's University; 2005. p.92-100.
- Peter D; Hart Research Association. National survey on nutrition screening and treatment for the elderly. Washington, D.C.: Nutrition Screening Initiative; 1993.
- Ogoshi H, Watanabe S. Utilization of fats and oils for dysphagic patients. Jpn Oil Chem Soc 2013;13:25-31.
- Korea Health Industry Development Institute. KHIDI health technology portal service [Internet]. Cheongju: Korea Health Industry Development Institute; 2012 [cited 2012 November 6]. http://www.khidi.or.kr.
- Shimosaka C. The research on eating and swallowing of the food: changes in the physical properties and sensory evaluation by the different cooking operation. Otsuma Womens Univ Bull Home Econ 2006;42:31-42.
- Kanaya S. The physical and sensory properties of swallowing foods. Home Care Med 2002;3:18-21.
- Takahashi T, Maruyama A, Ogoshi H. Aspects of utilization of commercial thickening agents for with swallowing difficulties. Jpn J Nutr Diet 1997;55:253-62. https://doi.org/10.5264/eiyogakuzashi.55.253
- Bak HW. The world's best restaurant by restaurant magazine 2002-2010. J Table Food Coord Korea 2010;5:77-84.
- Valverde J, Burke R, Traynor MP. Molecular gastronomy in Ireland. J Culin Sci Technol 2011;9:205-11. https://doi.org/10.1080/15428052.2011.629154
- van der Linden E, McClements DJ, Ubbink J. Molecular gastronomy: a food fad or an interface for science-based cooking? Food Biophysics 2008;3:246-54. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11483-008-9082-7
- Chyun JH, Woo KJ, Chung KS. Taste preference and taste perception of Korean elderly. Fam Environ Res 1994;32:143-51.
- Schiffman SS, Gatlin CA. Clinical physiology of taste and smell. Annu Rev Nutr 1993;13:406-36.
- Kim SY, Jung K, Lee B, Chang Y. A study of the dietary intake status and one portion size of commonly consumed food and dishes in Korean elderly women. Korean J Community Nutr 1997;2:578-92.
- Han MJ, Koo SJ, Lee YS. The study of food habit and degree of depression in nursing home and privite home living elderly. Korean J Diet Cult 1998;13:475-86.
- Cho HJ, Ahn SJ. A study of teaching based on practical problems solving of the area of food habits in middle school home economics. J Korean Home Econ Educ Assoc 1999;12:29-45.
- Park SJ, Lee HJ, Choi H. Evaluation of menus using antioxidant-rich foods at a congregate meal program for the Korean elderly. Korean J Community Nutr 2006;11:761-70.
- Park SJ. Evaluation of nutrient intake limiting factors and recipe development for the elderly. Seoul: Seoul National University; 2004. p.30-65.
- Kim JH, Choi JH, Lee MJ, Moon J. An ecological study on eating behavior of middle school students in Seoul. Korean J Community Nutr 1998;3:292-307.
- Kim WY, Won HS, Kim KO. Effect of age-related changes in taste perception on dietary intake in korean elderly. Korean J Nutr 1997;30: 995-1008.
- Korea Institute for Health and Social affairs. The Korea national health statistics. Seoul: Ministry of Health & Welfare; 2010. p.44-63
- Lee HS, Yee JA, Yeon AS, Kang KJ. A Study on health related and eating related behaviors by self-recognized health status. Korean J Community Nutr 2001;6:340-53.
- Hasaegawa A, Tashiro A, Kumagai H. Physical properties of food for dysphagic patients. Jpn Soc Dysphagia Rehabil 2010;56:47-57.
- Fujisaki T, Kiuchi K. Present situation of universal design food. New Food Ind 2006;48:49-63.
- Taste sensitivity of adults and elderly persons vol.19, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1590/1809-98232016019.150218