- Volume 9 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Analysis of consumption frequencies of vegetables and fruits in Korean adolescents based on Korea youth risk behavior web-based survey (2006, 2011)
- Kim, Yangsuk (National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Kwon, Yong-Suk (National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Park, Young-Hee (National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Choe, Jeong-Sook (National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Lee, Jin-Young (National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration)
- Received : 2014.04.01
- Accepted : 2015.03.07
- Published : 2015.08.01
BACKGROUND/OBJECTIVES: This study analyzed factors affecting consumption frequencies of vegetables and fruits in Korean adolescents. SUBJECTS/METHODS: Consumption frequencies of vegetables and fruits, general characteristics, meal, health, and other variables were analyzed for a total of 147,047 adolescents who participated in the KYRBWS (Korea Youth Risk Behavior Web-based Survey) conducted in 2006 and 2011 by the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. RESULTS: Consumption frequencies of vegetables and fruits more than once a day significantly decreased in 2011 compared to 2006 based on Chi-square test conducted for every factor employed in the study. Analysis of factors showed that consumption frequencies of vegetables and fruits were reduced in both study years as subjective income decreased, whereas intake frequencies increased with mother's education level and reduction of adolescent stress level. CONCLUSIONS: In general, consumption frequencies of vegetables and fruits decreased in 2011 compared to those in 2006. Thus, future research needs to improve dietary guidelines for nutrition education in order for students to recognize the importance of food consumption and necessity of increasing daily serving sizes of vegetables and fruits for their balanced consumption.
Supported by : Rural Development Administration
- Kim SH, Cho SW, Hwang SS, Ahn M, Lee D, Kang SW, Park YK. Increased whole grain, fruits and vegetable intake reduced oxidative stress in high school students. Korean J Nutr 2012;45:452-61. https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2012.45.5.452
- Kim GR, Kim MJ. A survey on the dietary behavior of high school students: about regularity of meal and number of meal per day. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 2011;40:183-95. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.2.183
- Lee KY, Joo HJ, Ishikawa K, Lee YS, Cheon HJ. Comparison of food consumption trends of juveniles in Korea, China, and Japan. Rural Econ Rev 2009;32:1-19.
- Kim KW, Shin EM. A study on nutrition knowledge, nutritional attitudes, dietary behavior and dietary intake by weight control attempt among middle school female students. Korean J Community Nutr 2002;7:23-31.
- Hong JH, Cho MS. Acceptance of vegetable menus of a school lunch program by high school students in Seoul and its association with health and dietary behavioral factors. Korean J Food Sci Technol 2012;44:121-34. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2012.44.1.121
- Son Y, Kim HJ. A study on the eating habits, nutrition and dietary fiber intakes of teenagers in Gyeong-Nam areas. J Korean Home Econ Educ Assoc 2005;17:1-26.
- Cho HS, Kim MH, Choi MK. A study on vegetable intakes and dietary habits of middle school students in Chungnam. Korean J Community Nutr 2010;15:525-35.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare (KR). Dietary guideline for Korean [Internet]. Seoul: Ministry of Health and Welfare; 2013 [cited 2013 September 16]. Available from: http://www.mohw.go.kr.
- Johnson F, Wardle J, Griffith J. The adolescent food habits checklist: reliability and validity of a measure of healthy eating behaviour in adolescents. Eur J Clin Nutr 2002;56:644-9. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ejcn.1601371
- American Dietetic Association; Dietitians of Canada. Position of the American Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada: vegetarian diets. J Am Diet Assoc 2003;103:748-65. https://doi.org/10.1053/jada.2003.50142
- Ibiebele TI, van der Pols JC, Hughes MC, Marks GC, Williams GM, Green AC. Dietary pattern in association with squamous cell carcinoma of the skin: a prospective study. Am J Clin Nutr 2007;85:1401-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/85.5.1401
- Hung HC, Joshipura KJ, Jiang R, Hu FB, Hunter D, Smith-Warner SA, Colditz GA, Rosner B, Spiegelman D, Willett WC. Fruit and vegetable intake and risk of major chronic disease. J Natl Cancer Inst 2004;96:1577-84. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djh296
- Melnik TA, Rhoades SJ, Wales KR, Cowell C, Wolfe WS. Food consumption patterns of elementary schoolchildren in New York City. J Am Diet Assoc 1998;98:159-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-8223(98)00040-6
- Kwon JH, Shim JE, Park MK, Paik HY. Evaluation of fruits and vegetables intake for prevention of chronic disease in Korean adults aged 30 years and over: using the Third Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES III), 2005. Korean J Nutr 2009;42:146-57. https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2009.42.2.146
- World Cancer Research Fund; American Institute for Cancer Research. Summary: Food, Nutrition, Physical Activity, and the Prevention of Cancer. A Global Perspective. Washington, D.C.: American Institute for Cancer Research; 2007. p.9.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare (KR). The Third National Health Promotion Plan (2011-2020) in Korea. Seoul: Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs; 2011.
- Kwon WJ, Chang KJ, Kim SK. Comparison of nutrient intake, dietary behavior, perception of body image and iron nutritional status among female high school students of urban and rural areas in Kyunggi-do. Korean J Nutr 2002;35:90-101.
- Lee KE, Hong WS, Kim MH. Students' food preferences on vegetarian menus served at middle and high schools. J Korean Diet Assoc 2005;11:320-30.
- Heo GJ, Nam SY, Lee SK, Chung SJ, Yoon JH. The relationship between high energy/low nutrient food consumption and obesity among Korean children and adolescents. Korean J Community Nutr 2012;17:226-42. https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2012.17.2.226
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Korea Health Statistics 2007: Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES IV-1) [Internet]. Cheongwon; Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2008 [cited 2013 October 31]. Available from: http://knhanes.cdc.go.kr.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Korea Health Statistics 2011: Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES V-2) [Internet]. Cheongwon; Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2012 [cited 2013 October 31]. Available from: http://knhanes.cdc.go.kr.
- Buchner FL, Bueno-de-Mesquita HB, Ros MM, Overvad K, Dahm CC, Hansen L, Tjonneland A, Clavel-Chapelon F, Boutron-Ruault MC, Touillaud M, Kaaks R, Rohrmann S, Boeing H, Nothlings U, Trichopoulou A, Zylis D, Dilis V, Palli D, Sieri S, Vineis P, Tumino R, Panico S, Peeters PH, van Gils CH, Lund E, Gram IT, Braaten T, Sanchez MJ, Agudo A, Larranaga N, Ardanaz E, Navarro C, Arguelles MV, Manjer J, Wirfalt E, Hallmans G, Rasmuson T, Key TJ, Khaw KT, Wareham N, Slimani N, Vergnaud AC, Xun WW, Kiemeney LA, Riboli E. Variety in fruit and vegetable consumption and the risk of lung cancer in the European prospective investigation into cancer and nutrition. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2010;19:2278-86. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-10-0489
- Holt EM, Steffen LM, Moran A, Basu S, Steinberger J, Ross JA, Hong CP, Sinaiko AR. Fruit and vegetable consumption and its relation to markers of inflammation and oxidative stress in adolescents. J Am Diet Assoc 2009;109:414-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2008.11.036
- Park SH, Kim MJ. Acceptance and preference of vegetables in menus for middle school students. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 2008;37: 1660-6. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.12.1660
- Cribb VL, Jones LR, Rogers IS, Ness AR, Emmett PM. Is maternal education level associated with diet in 10-year-old children? Public Health Nutr 2011;14:2037-48. https://doi.org/10.1017/S136898001100036X
- James WP, Nelson M, Ralph A, Leather S. Socioeconomic determinants of health. The contribution of nutrition to inequalities in health. BMJ 1997;314:1545-9. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.314.7093.1545
- Jo JE, Park HR, Jeon SB, Kim JS, Park GE, Li Y, Lim YS, Hwang J. A study on relationship between socio-demographic factors and food consumption frequencies among adolescents in South Korea: using the Korea Youth Risk Behavior Web-based Survey from 2011. Korean J Community Nutr 2013;18:165-76. https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2013.18.2.165
- Wright HS, Guthrie HA, Wang MQ, Bernardo V. The 1987-88 nationwide food consumption survey: an update on the nutrient intake of respondents. Nutr Today 1991;26:21-7.
- Yoo JE, Park GS. A study of the dietary behavior and food preference of adolescents. J East Asian Soc Diet Life 2003;13:19-24.
- Serdula MK, Gillespie C, Kettel-Khan L, Farris R, Seymour J, Denny C. Trends in fruit and vegetable consumption among adults in the United States: behavioral risk factor surveillance system, 1994-2000. Am J Public Health 2004;94:1014-8. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.94.6.1014
- Riediger ND, Shooshtari S, Moghadasian MH. The influence of sociodemographic factors on patterns of fruit and vegetable consumption in Canadian adolescents. J Am Diet Assoc 2007;107:1511-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2007.06.015
- Taylor JP, Evers S, McKenna M. Determinants of healthy eating in children and youth. Can J Public Health 2005;96 Suppl 3:S20-6, S22-9.
- Oliver LN, Hayes MV. Neighbourhood socio-economic status and the prevalence of overweight Canadian children and youth. Can J Public Health 2005;96:415-20.
- Lee SO, Kim HA. Evaluation of effectiveness of vegetable-related nutrition education for elementary school students. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 2013;42:713-20. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.5.713
- Nothlings U, Schulze MB, Weikert C, Boeing H, van der Schouw YT, Bamia C, Benetou V, Lagiou P, Krogh V, Beulens JW, Peeters PH, Halkjaer J, Tjonneland A, Tumino R, Panico S, Masala G, Clavel-Chapelon F, de Lauzon B, Boutron-Ruault MC, Vercambre MN, Kaaks R, Linseisen J, Overvad K, Arriola L, Ardanaz E, Gonzalez CA, Tormo MJ, Bingham S, Khaw KT, Key TJ, Vineis P, Riboli E, Ferrari P, Boffetta P, Bueno-de-Mesquita HB, van der AD, Berglund G, Wirfalt E, Hallmans G, Johansson I, Lund E, Trichopoulo A. Intake of vegetables, legumes, and fruit, and risk for all-cause, cardiovascular, and cancer mortality in a European diabetic population. J Nutr 2008;138:775-81. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/138.4.775
- Assessment on Dietary Diversity According to Korean Dietary Pattern Score of Korean Adolescents and Children: Using 2007~2013 Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES) Data vol.31, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2015.31.5.660
- Food deserts in Korea? A GIS analysis of food consumption patterns at sub-district level in Seoul using the KNHANES 2008-2012 data vol.10, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2016.10.5.530
- Dietary Assessment and Factors Related to Prevalence of Metabolic Syndrome in Korean Youth: Based on the Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2007~2013 vol.27, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7856/kjcls.2016.27.4.875
- Factors affecting vegetable preference in adolescents: stages of change and social cognitive theory vol.11, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2017.11.4.340