- Volume 39 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Effect of Height Variation of Recirculating Casing Treatment on the Performance of a Turbocharger Compressor
재순환케이싱처리 높이변화가 터보차저 압축기의 성능에 미치는 영향
- Nguyen, Van Hap (School of Mechanical Engineering, Univ. of Ulsan) ;
- Zhou, Tianjun (School of Mechanical Engineering, Univ. of Ulsan) ;
- Lee, Geun Sik (School of Mechanical Engineering, Univ. of Ulsan)
- 이근식 (울산대학교 기계공학부)
- Received : 2015.02.08
- Accepted : 2015.06.09
- Published : 2015.08.01
In this study, we investigate the performance variations of an automotive turbocharger compressor with respect to the height variation of the recirculating casing treatment (RCT). We use three RCT heights, namely 1.2 mm, 1.5 mm, and 1.8 mm. We vary the compressor speed from 90,000 to 150,000 rpm, and the flow rate from 0.015 kg/s to 0.08 kg/s. The calculation results of the total pressure ratio and isentropic efficiency showed good agreement with the performance data provided by the manufacturer within a 0.7 percent error. The results showed that the RCT heights of 1.2 mm, 1.8 mm, and 1.5 mm, in that order, exhibited a more uniform pressure distribution, higher pressure ratio, and wider operational range. As the number of revolutions per minute increased, we obtained typical characteristics of a compressor map having a narrower operational range in the region of higher pressure ratio.
Supported by : 울산대학교
- Japikse, D., 1996, Centrifugal Compressor Design and Performance, Concepts, Inc.
- Cheng, X. and Michael, M., 2005, "Development and Design of a Centrifugal Compressor Volute," Int. J. of Rotating Machinery, Vol. 3, pp. 190-196.
- Ayder, E., Van den Braembussche, R. and Brasz, J. J., 1993, "Experimental and Theoretical Analysis of the Flow in a Centrifugal Compressor Volute," ASME J. Turbomach., Vol. 115, No. 6, pp. 582-589. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2929293
- Yin, J., 2009, "Optimization of Turbocharger Ported Shroud Compressor Stages," Proceeding of ASME Turbo Expo 2009: Power for Land, Sea and Air, GT2009-59248.
- Park, C. Y., Choi, Y. S., Lee, K. Y. and Yoon, J. Y., 2012, "Numerical Study on the Range Enhancement of a Centrifugal Compressor with a Ring Groove System," J. of Mech. Sci. & Tech., Vol. 26, No. 5, pp. 1371-1378. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-012-0320-z