- Volume 18 Issue 2
Low-value fish is the most commonly used feed in Asian fish farms despite the fact that its application is controversial in regard to the sustainability and biosecurity of aquaculture. In this study, the causal agent of a disease outbreak at a Korean rockfish Sebastes schlegeli farm was investigated to determine whether the low-value fish used at the farm was the source. Infected Korean rockfish and Pacific sand eel used as feed were sampled from the farm, and bacterial cultures recovered from the internal organs of all sampled rockfish were isolated as pure cultures and later identified as Vibrio harveyi. The causal agent of the disease was also isolated from the kidneys of some of the sampled Pacific sand eels. This study provides additional evidence that the low-value fish used as feed at fish farms can be a key source of infectious diseases.
Low-value fish;Korean rockfish;Ammodytes personatus;Vibrio harveyi;Biosecurity
- Arkush KD, Frasca S and Hedrick RP. 1998. Pathology associated with the Rosette Agent, a systemic protest infecting salmonid fishes. J Aquat Anim Health 10, 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1577/1548-8667(1998)010<0001:PAWTRA>2.0.CO;2
- Austin B and Zhang XH. 2006. Vibrio harveyi: a significant pathogen of marine vertebrates and invertebrates. Lett Appl Microbiol 43, 119-124. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1472-765X.2006.01989.x
- Bowman J. 2006. The genus Psychrobacter. Prokaryotes 6, 920-930.
- CLSI. 2006. Methods for antimicrobial disk susceptibility testing of bacteria isolated from aquatic animals. Approved guideline M42-A.
- Cole JR, Wang Q, Cardenas E, Fish J, Chai B, Farris RJ, Kulam-Syed-Mohideen AS, McGarrell DM, Marsh T, Garrity GM and Tiedje JM. 2009. The ribosomal database project: improved alignments and new tools for rRNA analysis. Nucleic Acids Res 37, D141-D145. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/gkn879
- FAO. 2006. Use of fishery resources as feed inputs to aquaculture development: trends and policy implications. FAO Fisheries Circular, no. 1018, 114.
- FAO. 2011. Aquaculture development. 5. Use of wild fish as feed in aquaculture. FAO technical guidelines for responsible fisheries no. 5, supplement 5, 94.
- FAO. 2012. The state of world fisheries and aquaculture 2012. FAO, 209.
- Funge-Smith S, Lindebo E and Staples D. 2005. Asian fisheries today: The production and use of low value/trash fish from marine fisheries in the Asia-Pacific region. Asia-pacific fishery commission RAP PUBLICATION 2005/16 (Bangkok, 1pp) (ftp://ftp.fao.org/docrep/fao/008/ae934e/ae934e00.pdf).
- Gennari M, Tomaselli S and Cotrona V. 1999. The microflora of fresh and spoiled sardines, Sardina pilchardus, caught in Adriatic (Mediterranean) Sea and stored in ice. Food Microbiol 16, 15-28. https://doi.org/10.1006/fmic.1998.0210
- Gill TA. 2000.Waste from processing aquatic animals and animal products: implications on aquatic pathogen transfer. FAO Fisheries Circular, no. 956, 26.
- Gomez DK, Mori KI, Okinaka Y, Nakai T and Park SC. 2010. Trash fish can be a source of betanodaviruses for cultured marine fish. Aquaculture 302, 158-163. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2010.02.033
- Gonzalez CJ, Santos JA, Garcia-Lopez ML and Otero A. 2000. Psychrobacters and related bacteria in freshwater fish. J Food Protect 63, 315-321. https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X-63.3.315
- Goodwin AE, Peterson JE, Meyers TR and Money DJ. 2004. Transmission of exotic fish viruses: The relative risks of wild and cultured bait. Fisheries 29, 19-23.
- Haldar S, Maharajan A, Chatterjee S, Hunter SA and Chowdhury N. 2010. Identification of Vibrio harveyi as a causative bacterium for a tail rot disease of sea bream Sparus aurata from research hatchery in Malta. Microbiol Res 165, 639-648. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.micres.2009.12.001
- Hardy RW. 2004. Problems and opportunities in fish feeds - fisheries processing byproducts. International Aquafeeds 7, 33-34.
- Herve-Claude LP, Carpenter TE and Hedrick RP. 2008. Risk of introducing viral hemorrhagic septicemia virus (VHSV) to the Chilean South Pacific via sardine imports from Europe. Dis Aquat Org 78, 199-207. https://doi.org/10.3354/dao01862
- Hisar O, Yanik T and Hisar SA. 2002. Clinical and pathological investigation of Psychrobacter immobilis infection in rainbow trout (Oncrohynchus mykiss, Walbaum). Isr J Aquacult-Bamid 54, 189-196.
- Hyatt AD, Hine PM, Jones JB, Whittington RJ, Kearns C, Wise TG, Crane MS and Williams LM. 1997. Epizootic mortality in the pilchard Sardinops sagax neopilchardus in Australia and New Zealand in 1995. II. Identification of a herpesvirus within the gill epithelium. Dis Aquat Organ 28, 17-29. https://doi.org/10.3354/dao028017
- Kampfer P, Albercht A, Buczolits S, Busse HJ. 2002. Psychrobacter faecalis sp. nov., a new species from a bioaerosol originating from pigeon faeces. Syst Appl Microbiol 25, 31-36. https://doi.org/10.1078/0723-2020-00099
- Kim DH, Choi SY, Kim CS, Oh MJ and Jeong HD. 2013. Low-value fish used as feed in aquaculture were a source of furunculosis caused by atypical Aeromonas salmonicida. Aquaculture 408-409, 113-117. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2013.05.014
- Kim DH and Kim DY. 2013. Microbial diversity in the intestine of olive flounder (Paralichthys olivaceus). Aquaculture 414-415, 103-108 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2013.06.008
- Kim JH, Gomez DK, Choresca CH and Park SC. 2007. Detection of major bacterial and viral pathogens in trash fish used to feed cultured flounder in Korea. Aquaculture 272, 105-110. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2007.09.008
- Lee KK and Yii KC. 1996. A comparison of three methods for assaying hydrophobicity of pathogenic Vibrios. Lett Appl Microbiol 23, 343-346. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1472-765X.1996.tb00204.x
- Lee KK, Liu PC and Chuang WH. 2002. Pathogenesis of gastroenteritis caused by Vibrio carchariae in cultured marine fish. Mar Biotechnol 4, 267-277. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10126-002-0018-9
- Lopez JR, Roca E de la, Nunez S, Herran R de la, Navas JI and Manchado M. 2009. Identification of Vibrio harveyi isolated from diseased cultured wedge sole Dicologoglossa cuneate. Dis Aquat Organ 84, 209-217 https://doi.org/10.3354/dao02045
- Ostland AE, Hicks BD and Daly FG. 1987. Furunculosis in baitfish and its transmission to salmonids. Dis Aquat Organ 2, 163-166.
- Pang L, Zhang XH, Zhong Y, Chen J, Li Y and Austin B. 2006. Identification of Vibrio harveyi using PCR amplification of the toxR gene. Lett Appl Microbiol 43, 249-255. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1472-765X.2006.01962.x
- Rashid HO, Ito H and Ishigaki I. 1992. Distribution of pathogenic vibrios and other bacteria in imported frozen shrimps and their decontamination by gamma-irradiation. World J Microb Biot 8, 494-499. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01201947
- Ringo E, Sperstad S, Kraugerud OF and Krogdahl A. 2008. Use of 16S rRNA gene sequencing analysis to characterize culturable intestinal bacteria in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) fed diets with cellulose or non-starch polysaccharides from soy. Aquaculture Res 39, 1087-1100. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2109.2008.01972.x
- Saitou N and Nei M. 1987. The neighbor-joining method - a new method for reconstructing phylogenetic trees. Mol Biol Evol 4, 406-425.
- Soffientino B, Gwaltney T, Nelson DR, Specker JL, Mauel M and Gomez-Chiarri M. 1999. Infectious necrotizing enteritis and mortality caused by Vibrio carchariae in summer flounder Paralichthys dentatus during intensive culture. Dis Aquat Organ 38, 201-210. https://doi.org/10.3354/dao038201
- Tamura K, Peterson D, Peterson N, Stecher G, Nei M and Kumar S. 2011. MEGA5: Molecular evolutionary genetics analysis using maximum likelihood, evolutionary distance, and maximum parsimony methods. Mol Biol Evol 28, 2731-2739. https://doi.org/10.1093/molbev/msr121
- Ward TM, Hoedt F, McLeay L, Dimmlich WF, Kinloch M, Jackson G, McGarvey R, Rogers PJ and Jones K. 2001. Effects of the 1995 and 1998 mass mortality events on the spawning biomass of sardine, Sardinops sagax, in South Australian waters. ICES J Mar Sci 58, 865-875. https://doi.org/10.1006/jmsc.2001.1077
- Weisburg WG, Barns SM, Pelletier DA and Lane DJ. 1991. 16S ribosomal DNA amplification for phylogenetic study. J Bacteriol 173, 697-703. https://doi.org/10.1128/jb.173.2.697-703.1991
- Won KM and Park SI. 2008. Pathogenicity of Vibrio harveyi to cultured marine fishes in Korea. Aquaculture 285, 8-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2008.08.013
- Won KM, Choi JH, Kim YC and Park SI. 2007. Microbiological characteristics of Vibrio harveyi. J Fish Pathol 20, 237-247.
- Yii KC, Yang TI and Lee KK. 1997. Isolation and characterization of Vibrio carchariae, a causative agent of gastroenteritis in the groupers, Epinephelus coioides. Curr Microbiol 35, 109-115. https://doi.org/10.1007/s002849900221
Supported by : Pukyong National University