- Volume 21 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Development of Contact Force Measurement Algorithm for a 3D Printing-type Flexible Tactile Sensor
3D 프린팅 방식 유연 촉각센서의 접촉력 측정 알고리즘 개발
- Jeong, Kyeong-Hwa (School of Mechanical Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Lee, Ju-Kyoung (School of Mechanical Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Lee, Suk (School of Mechanical Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Lee, Kyung-Chang (Department Control and Instrumentation Engineering, Pukyong National University)
- Received : 2015.01.07
- Accepted : 2015.02.27
- Published : 2015.06.01
Flexible tactile sensors can provide valuable feedback to intelligent robots regarding the environment around them. This is especially important when robots such as, service robots share a workspace with humans. This paper presents a contact force measurement algorithm of a flexible tactile sensor. This sensor is manufactured by a direct-writing technique, which is one 3D printing method, using multi-walled carbon nano-tubes. An analog signal processing circuit has been designed and implemented to reduce noise contained in the sensor output. In addition, a digital version of the Butterworth filter was implemented by software running on a microcontroller. Through various experiments, characteristics of the sensor system have been identified. Based on three traits, an algorithm to detect the contact and measure the contact force has been developed. The entire system showed a promising prospect to detect the contact over a large and curved area.
Grant : 첨단 기계부품소재 인력양성사업단
- W. S. Eom, Y. K. Kim, J. H. Lee, G. H. Choi, and E. S. Sim, "Development trend of intelligent robots," Current Industrial and Technological Trends in Aerospace (in Korean), vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 150-160, 2013.
- D. H. Lee, K. W. Noh, S. K. Kang, H. W. Kim, and J. M. Lee, "Tactile navigation system using a haptic device," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems (in Korean), vol. 20, no. 8, pp. 807-814, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2014.14.9039
- H. G. Kang and Y. Choi, "Tactile transfer and display method using data glove and vibration motors module," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems (in Korean), vol. 19, no. 12, pp. 1138-1144, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2013.13.1939
- M. S. Kim, Y. K. Park, and S. Y. Kwon, "Tactile devices that mimics human's sensory system," Physics & Technology (in Korean), vol. 19, no. 9, pp. 15-22, 2010.
- B. S. Choi, W. H. Kim, and B. K. Ju, "Technology trends of tactile sensor," EP&C (in Korean), November Issue, pp. 82-87, 2009.
- J. W. Morley, A. M. Goodwin, and I. Darian-Smith, "Tactile discrimination of gratings," Experimental Brain Research, vol. 49, pp. 291-299, 1983.
- N. Sato, S. Shigematsu, H. Morimura, M. Yano, K. Kudou, T. Kamei, and K. Machida, "Novel surface structure and its fabrication process for MEMS fingerprint sensor," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 1026-1032, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TED.2005.846342
- J. I. Lee, and K. Sato, "Polymer based slim tactile sensor: optical design and new fabrication method," Journal of Institute of Control Robotics and Systems (in Korean), vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 131-134, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2011.17.2.131
- M. Vatani, D. Erik, and J. W. Choi, "Force and slip detection with direct-write compliant tactile sensors using multi-walled carbon nanotube/polymer composites," Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, vol. 195, pp. 90-97, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sna.2013.03.019
- S. G. Woo, I. H. Lee, H. C. Kim, K. C. Lee, and H. Y. Cho, "Development of a photopolymer-based flexible tactile sensor using layered fabrication and direct writing," Journal of the Korean Society of Manufacturing Process Engineers (in Korean), vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 8-14, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14775/ksmpe.2014.13.2.008
- S. Ping, E. K. Sichel, and J. I. Gittleman, "Fluctuation induced tunneling conduction in carbon polyvinychiloride composites," Physical Review Letters, vol. 40, no. 18, pp. 1197-1200, 1978. https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.40.1197
- M. Vatani, E. D. Engeberg, and J. W. Choi, "Force and slip detection with direct-write compliant tactile sensors using multiwalled carbon nanotube/polymer composites," Sensor and Actuators A: Physical, vol. 195, pp. 90-97, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sna.2013.03.019
- C. H. Lin, T. W. Erickson, J. A. Fishel, and N. Wettels, "Signal processing and fabrication of a biomimetic tactile sensor array with thermal, force and microvibration modalities," IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Biomimetics, pp. 129-134, 2009.
- S. H. Jin, J. K. Lee, S. Lee, and K. C. Lee, "Output characteristic of a flexible tactile sensor manufactured by 3D printing technique," Journal of Korean Society of Precision Engineering (in Korean), vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 149-156, 2014. https://doi.org/10.7736/KSPE.2014.31.2.149
- Texas Instruments, MCU Developer network, http://www.ti.com/lsds/ti/microcontroller/support.page.