- Volume 21 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Navigation based Motion Counting Algorithm for a Wearable Smart Device
항법 기반 웨어러블 스마트 디바이스 동작 카운트 알고리즘
- Park, So Young (Department of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Seoul National University, ASRI) ;
- Lee, Min Su (Department of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Seoul National University, ASRI) ;
- Song, Jin Woo (Department of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Seoul National University, ASRI) ;
- Park, Chan Gook (Department of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Seoul National University, ASRI)
- Received : 2015.02.15
- Accepted : 2015.03.15
- Published : 2015.06.01
In this paper, an ARS-EKF based motion counting algorithm for repetitive exercises such as calisthenics is proposed using a smartwatch. Raw sensor signals from accelerometers and gyroscopes are widely used for conventional smartwatch counting algorithms based on pattern recognition. However, generated features from raw data are not intuitive to reflect the movement of motions. The proposed motion counter algorithm is composed of navigation based feature generation and counting with error correction. The candidate features for each activity are velocity and attitude calculated through an ARS-EKF algorithm. In order to select those features which reveal the characteristics of each motion, an exercise frame from the initial sensor frame is introduced. Counting processes are basically based on the zero crossing method, and misdetected counts are eliminated via simple classification algorithms considering the frequency of the counted motions. Experimental results show that the proposed algorithm efficiently and accurately counts the number of exercises.
Grant : 병사들에게 실전과 같은 가상훈련 환경을 제공하기 위한 전 방향 이동 지원 상호작용 소프트웨어 기술 개발
Supported by : 정보통신기술진흥센터
- T. W. Lee, I. S. Ko, and K. J. Lee, "Development of health strategies and programs for the elderly," Health Promotion Foundation Program Support Group, Yonsei University, South Korea, Report (in Korean), 2005.
- K. A. Park and H. B. Hwang, "Estimated future population," Korea National Statistical Office, South Korea, Report (in Korean), 2006.
- S. H. Seo, "Effects of regular walking exercise on physical performance and physiological function in the elderly," Health Promotion Foundation Program Support Group, Yonsei University, South Korea, Report (in Korean), 2007.
- H. Geon and J. E. Ha, "Analysis of table tennis swing using action recognition," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems (in Korean), vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 40-45, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2015.14.0078
- K. Lorincz, et al., "Mercury: a wearable sensor network platform for high-fidelity motion analysis," SenSys'09, Berkeley, CA, USA , pp. 183-196, Nov. 2009.
- T. Pascu, et al., "Ambient Health Monitoring: The smartphone as a body sensor network component," InImpact: The Journal of Innovation Impact, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 62-65, Nov. 2013.
- C. Zhu and W. Sheng, "Wearable sensor-based hand gesture and daily activity recognition for robot-assisted living," Systems, Man and Cybernetics, Part A: Systems and Humans, IEEE Transactions, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 569-573, May 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSMCA.2010.2093883
- J. Lockman, R. S. Fisher, and D. M. Olson, "Detection of seizure-like movements using a wrist accelerometer," Epilepsy & Behavior, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 638-641, Apr. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yebeh.2011.01.019
- G. Appelboom, et al., "Smart wearable body sensors for patient self-assessment and monitoring," Archives of Public Health, vol. 72, no. 1, 2014.
- D. Morris, T. S. Saponas, A. Guillory, and I. Kelner, "RecoFit: using a wearable sensor to find, recognize, and count repetitive exercises," in Proc. of the 32nd Annual ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, Toronto, ON, Canada, pp. 3225-3234, Apr. 2014.
- B. J. Mortazavi, et al., "Determining the single best axis for exercise repetition recognition and counting on smartwatches," International Conference on Wearable and Implantable Body Sensor Networks, Zurich, Switzerland, pp. 33-38, Jun. 2014.
- K. J. Kim, D. J. Lee, Y. K. Kim, and J. M. Lee, "Outdoor localization for a quad-rotor using extended Kalman filter and path planning," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems (in Korean), vol. 20, no. 11, pp. 1175-1180, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2014.14.0013
- S. H. Choi, G. J. Kim, Y. K. Kim, and J. M. Lee, "Outdoor positioning estimation of multi-GPS/INS integrated system by EKF/UPF filter conversion," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems (in Korean), vol. 20, no. 12, pp. 1284-1289, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2014.13.0014