- Volume 21 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Development of an Intelligent Ankle Assistive Robot
지능형 발목 근력 보조 로봇의 개발
- Jeong, Woo-Chul (Dept. of Mechanical System Design Engineering, Seoul National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, Chang-Soon (Dept. of Mechanical System Design Engineering, Seoul National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Park, Jin-Yong (Dept. of Mechanical System Design Engineering, Seoul National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Hyun, Jung-Guen (Dept. of Mechanical System Design Engineering, Seoul National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, Jung-Yup (Dept. of Mechanical System Design Engineering, Seoul National University of Science and Technology)
- 정우철 (서울과학기술대학교 기계시스템디자인공학과) ;
- 김창순 (서울과학기술대학교 기계시스템디자인공학과) ;
- 박진용 (서울과학기술대학교 기계시스템디자인공학과) ;
- 현정근 (서울과학기술대학교 기계시스템디자인공학과) ;
- 김정엽 (서울과학기술대학교 기계시스템디자인공학과)
- Received : 2015.02.15
- Accepted : 2015.03.15
- Published : 2015.06.01
This paper describes an intelligent ankle assistive robot which provides assistive power to reduce ankle torque based on an analysis of ankle motion and muscle patterns during walking on level and sloped floors. The developed robot can assist ankle muscle power by driving an electric geared motor at the exact timing through the use of an accelerometer that detects gait phase and period, and a potentiometer to measure floor slope angle. A simple muscle assistive link mechanism is proposed to convert the motor torque into the foot assistive force. In particular, this mechanism doesn't restrain the wearer's ankle joint; hence, there is no danger of injury if the motor malfunctions. During walking, the link mechanism pushes down the top of the foot to assist the ankle torque, and it can also lift the foot by inversely driving the linkage, so this robot is useful for foot drop patients. The developed robot and control algorithm are experimentally verified through walking experiments and EMG (Electromyography) measurements.
Supported by : 서울과학기술대학교
- K. H. Jeong, "Department of health and human services policy Report," Senior Status in 2011 Survey, pp. 285-287, Apr. 2012.
- Y. H. Ji, C. S. Han, J. S. Han, H. Y. Jang, J. Y. Lee, D. H. Lim, and C. S. Shin, "A study of wearable robot algorithm for gaitassists of senior," Proc. of KSPE Annual Conference, pp. 503-504, May 2013.
- H. D. Lee and C. S. Han, "Technical trend of the lower limb exoskeleton system for the performance enhancement," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems (in Korean), vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 364-371, Mar. 2014. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2014.14.9023
- H. Kim and C. Y. Lee, "Analysis on the kinematics and dynamics of human arm movement toward upper limb exoskeleton robot control Part 2: Combination of kinematic and dynamic constraints," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems (in Korean), vol. 20, no. 8, pp. 875-881, Aug. 2014. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2014.13.0012
- O. H. Kang, G. S. Hoe, C. Y. Lee, and S. R. Lee, "Design of walking assistance device for anti-ankle sprain," Proc. of KSPE Annual Conference, pp. 247-248, 2010.
- H. J. Oh, K. Kim, G. Y. Jeong, H. C. Jeong, and T. K. Kwon, "Effect of exoskeleton orthosis for assistance of dorsiflexion torque in walking pattern and lower-limb muscle," Journal of Rehabilitation Welfare Engineering & Assistive Technology, pp. 177-185, Aug. 2014.
- J. S. Wang, C. W. Lin, Y. C. Yang, and Y. J. Ho, "Walking pattern classification and walking distance estimation algorithms using gait phase information," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 59, no. 10, 2012.
- P. K. Jamwal, S. Q. Xie, J. G. Parsons, and S. Hussain, "An adaptive wearable parallel robot for the treatment of ankle injuries," IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 64-75, Feb. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMECH.2012.2219065
- M. B. Wiggin, G. S. Sawicki, and S. H. Collins, "An exoskeleton using controlled energy storage and release to aid ankle propulsion," IEEE International Conference on Rehabilitation Robotics Rehab Week Zurich, Jun. 2011.
- J. A. Blaya and H. Hugh, "Adaptive control of a variableimpedance ankle-foot orthosis to assist drop-foot gait," IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 24-31, Mar. 2004 https://doi.org/10.1109/TNSRE.2003.823266
- Donald A. Neumann, Kinesiology of the Musculoskeletal System, Elsevier Science, p. 687, 2009.