- Volume 55 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Redistribution of moments in reinforced high-strength concrete beams with and without confinement
- Lou, Tiejiong (CEMUC, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Coimbra) ;
- Lopes, Sergio M.R. (CEMUC, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Coimbra) ;
- Lopes, Adelino V. (Department of Civil Engineering, University of Coimbra)
- Received : 2015.03.01
- Accepted : 2015.06.16
- Published : 2015.07.25
Confinement is known to have important influence on ductility of high-strength concrete (HSC) members and it may therefore be anticipated that this parameter would also affect notably the moment redistribution in these members. The correctness of this "common-sense knowledge" is examined in the present study. A numerical test is performed on two-span continuous reinforced HSC beams with and without confinement using an experimentally validated nonlinear model. The results show that the effect of confinement on moment redistribution is totally different from that on flexural ductility. The moment redistribution at ultimate limit state is found to be almost independent of the confinement, provided that both the negative and positive plastic hinges have formed at failure. The numerical findings are consistent with tests performed on prototype HSC beams. Several design codes are evaluated. It is demonstrated that the code equations by Eurocode 2 (EC2), British Standards Institution (BSI) and Canadian Standards Association (CSA) can well reflect the effect of confinement on moment redistribution in reinforced HSC beams but the American Concrete Institute (ACI) code cannot.
- ACI Committee 318 (2011), "Building code requirements for structural concrete (ACI 318-11) and commentary", American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, MI.
- Bai, Z.Z. and Au, F.T.K. (2013), "Flexural ductility design of high-strength concrete columns", Struct. Des. Tall Spec. Build., 22, 92-115. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.662
- Bernardo, L.F.A. and Lopes, S.M.R. (2004), "Neutral axis depth versus flexural ductility in high-strength concrete beams", J. Struct. Eng., 130(3), 452-459. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2004)130:3(452)
- BSI (2007), "Structural use of concrete-Part 1: Code of practice for design and construction", BS8110, British Standards Institution, London, UK.
- Campione, G., Fossetti, M., Minafo, G. and Papia, M. (2012), "Influence of steel reinforcements on the behavior of compressed high strength R.C. circular columns", Eng. Struct., 34, 371-382. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2011.10.002
- Carmo, R.N.F. (2004), "Plastic rotation and moment redistribution in high strength concrete beams", PhD thesis, University of Coimbra, Coimbra, Portugal. (in Portuguese)
- Carmo, R.N.F. and Lopes, S.M.R. (2008), "Available plastic rotation in continuous high-strength concrete beams", Can. J. Civil Eng., 35(10), 1152-1162. https://doi.org/10.1139/L08-064
- CEB-FIP (1990), "Model code for concrete structures", Euro-International Committee for Concrete-International Federation for Prestressing, Thomas Telford Services Ltd., Lausanne, Switzerland.
- CEN (2004), "Eurocode 2 (EC2): Design of concrete structures-Part 1-1: General rules and rules for buildings", EN 1992-1-1, European Committee for Standardization, Brussels, Belgium.
- CSA (2004), "Design of concrete structures", A23.3-04, Canadian Standards Association, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada.
- Cucchiara, C., Fossetti, M. and Papia, M. (2012), "Steel fibre and transverse reinforcement effects on the behaviour of high strength concrete beams", Struct. Eng. Mech., 42(4), 551-570. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2012.42.4.551
- El-Mogy, M.A.T. (2011), "Behaviour of continuous concrete beams reinforced with FRP bars", PhD Thesis, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada.
- FIB (2012), "Model Code 2010", Bulletins 55 and 56, International Federation for Structural Concrete, Lausanne, Switzerland.
- Galano, L. and Vignoli, A. (2008), "Strength and ductility of HSC and SCC slender columns subjected to short-term eccentric load", ACI Struct. J., 105(3), 259-269.
- Ho, J.C.M., Lam, J.Y.K. and Kwan, A.K.H. (2010), "Effectiveness of adding confinement for ductility improvement of high-strength concrete columns", Eng. Struct., 32, 714-725. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2009.11.017
- Hwang, S.K. and Yun, H.D. (2004), "Effects of transverse reinforcement on flexural behaviour of high-strength concrete columns", Eng. Struct., 26(1), 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2003.08.004
- Kassoul, A. and Bougara, A. (2010), "Maximum ratio of longitudinal tensile reinforcement in high strength doubly reinforced concrete beams designed according to Eurocode 8", Eng. Struct., 32, 3206-3213. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2010.06.009
- Kodur, V.K.R. and Campbell, T.I. (1999), "Factor governing redistribution of moment in continuous prestressed concrete beams", Struct. Eng. Mech., 8(2), 119-136. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.19126.96.36.199
- Kwan, A.K.H., Au, F.T.K. and Chau, S.L. (2004), "Theoretical study on effect of confinement on flexural ductility of normal and high-strength concrete beams", Mag. Concrete Res., 56(5), 299-309. https://doi.org/10.1680/macr.2004.56.5.299
- Lou, T., Lopes, S.M.R. and Lopes, A.V. (2013), "Flexural response of continuous concrete beams prestressed with external tendons", J. Bridge Eng., 18(6), 525-537. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000392
- Lou, T., Lopes, S.M.R. and Lopes, A.V. (2014a), "Flexure of continuous HSC beams with external CFRP tendons: Effects of fibre elastic modulus and steel ratio", Compos. Struct., 116, 29-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2014.05.001
- Lou, T., Lopes, S.M.R. and Lopes, A.V. (2014b), "Evaluation of moment redistribution in normal-strength and high-strength reinforced concrete beams", J. Struct. Eng., 140(10), 04014072. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000994
- Lou, T., Lopes, S.M.R. and Lopes, A.V. (2014c), "Factors affecting moment redistribution at ultimate in continuous beams prestressed with external CFRP tendons", Compos. Part B: Eng., 66, 136-146. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2014.05.007
- Lou, T., Lopes, S.M.R. and Lopes, A.V. (2014d), "FE modeling of inelastic behavior of reinforced high-strength concrete continuous beams", Struct. Eng. Mech., 49(3), 373-393. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2014.49.3.373
- Moucessian, A. (1986). "Nonlinearity and continuity in prestressed concrete beams", PhD Thesis, Queen's University at Kingston, Kingston, Canada.
- Sheikh, S.A., Laine, D. and Cui, C.Y. (2013), "Behavior of normal- and high-strength confined concrete", ACI Struct. J., 110(6), 989-999.
- Effect of relative stiffness on moment redistribution in reinforced high-strength concrete beams vol.69, pp.14, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1680/jmacr.15.00499
- Moment redistribution in two-span prestressed NSC and HSC beams vol.50, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1617/s11527-017-1116-5
- Flexural behavior of UHPC-RC composite beam vol.22, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2016.22.2.387