- Volume 30 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Toxicity of Green Tea Extract in Chilled Boar Spermatozoa
- Park, Sang-Hyoun (Department of Theriogenology and Reproductive Biotechnology, College of Veterinary Medicine and Bio-safety Research Institute, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Yu, Il-Jeoung (Department of Theriogenology and Reproductive Biotechnology, College of Veterinary Medicine and Bio-safety Research Institute, Chonbuk National University)
- Received : 2015.01.26
- Accepted : 2015.03.09
- Published : 2015.03.31
The cold shock of spermatozoa is associated with oxidative stress induced by reactive oxygen species. This study was conducted to evaluate the toxicity of natural antioxidant green tea extract (GTE) in lactose-egg yolk (LEY) extender during boar sperm cooling prior to freezing. Spermatozoa were cooled to
- Agarwal A and Allamaneni SS. 2004. Role of free radicals in female reproductive diseases and assisted reproduction. Reprod. Biomed. Online 9:338-347. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1472-6483(10)62151-7
- Agarwal A, Nallella KP, Allamaneni SS and Said TM. 2004. Role of antioxidants in treatment of male infertility: An overview of the literature. Reprod. Biomed. Online 8:616-627. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1472-6483(10)61641-0
- Aitken RJ, De Iuliis GN, Finnie ZM, Hedges A and McLachlan RI. 2010. Analysis of the relationships between oxidative stress, DNA damage and sperm vitality in a patient population: Development of diagnostic criteria. Hum. Reprod. 25:2415-2426. https://doi.org/10.1093/humrep/deq214
- Armstrong JS, Rajasekaran M, Chamulitrat W, Gatti P, Hellstrom WJ and Sikka SC. 1999. Characterization of reactive oxygen species induced effects on human spermatozoa movement and energy metabolism. Free Radic Biol. Med. 26:869-880. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(98)00275-5
- Askari HA, Check JH, Peymer N and Bollendorf A. 1994. Effect of natural antioxidants tocopherol and ascorbic acids in maintenance of sperm activity during freeze-thaw process. Arch. Androl. 33:11-15. https://doi.org/10.3109/01485019408987797
- Aurich JE, Schonherr U, Hoppe H and Aurich C. 1997. Effects of antioxidants on motility and membrane integrity of chilledstored stallion semen. Theriogenology 48:185-192. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0093-691X(97)84066-6
- Cerolini S, Maldjian A, Surai P and Noble R. 2000. Viability, susceptibility to peroxidation and fatty acid composition of boar semen during liquid storage. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 58:99-111. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-4320(99)00035-4
- Chatterjee S and Gagnon C. 2001. Production of reactive oxygen species by spermatozoa undergoing cooling, freezing and thawing. Mol. Reprod. Dev. 59:451-458. https://doi.org/10.1002/mrd.1052
- Darin-Bennett A, Poulos A and White IG. 1976. The fatty acid composition of the major phosphoglycerides of ram and human spermatozoa. Andrologia 8:37-45.
- Donnelly ET, McClure N and Lewis SE. 1999. The effect of ascorbate and alpha-tocopherol supplementation in vitro on DNA integrity and hydrogen peroxide-induced DNA damage in human spermatozoa. Mutagenesis 14:505-512. https://doi.org/10.1093/mutage/14.5.505
- Drobnis EZ, Crowe LM, Berger T, Anchordoguy TJ, Overstreet JW and Crowe JH. 1993. Cold shock damage is due to lipid phase transitions in cell membranes: A demonstration using sperm as a model. J. Exp. Zool. 265:432-437. https://doi.org/10.1002/jez.1402650413
- Fraser L and Strzezek J. 2007. Is there a relationship between the chromatin status and DNA fragmentation of boar spermatozoa following freezing-thawing? Theriogenology 68:248-257. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.theriogenology.2007.05.001
- Gil L, Mascaro F, Mur P, Gale I, Silva A, Gonzalez N, Malo C and Cano R. 2010. Freezing ram semen: The effect of combination of soya and rosemary essences as a freezing extender on post-thaw sperm motility. Reprod. Dom. Anim. 45:91.
- Gonzalez N, Gil L, Martinez F, Malo C, Cano R, Mur P and Espinosa E. 2010. Effect of natural antioxidant rosemary in canine soya freezing extender. Reprod. Dom. Anim. 45:88.
- Griveau JF, Dumont E, Renard P, Callegari JP and Le Lannou D. 1995. Reactive oxygen species, lipid peroxidation and enzymatic defence systems in human spermatozoa. J. Reprod. Fertil. 103:17-26. https://doi.org/10.1530/jrf.0.1030017
- Guthrie HD and Welch GR. 2006. Determination of intracellular reactive oxygen species and high mitochondrial membrane potential in Percoll-treated viable boar sperm using fluorescence-activated flow cytometry. J. Anim. Sci. 84:2089-2100. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2005-766
- Jones R and Mann T. 1977. Damage to ram spermatozoa by peroxidation of endogenous phospholipids. J. Reprod. Fertil. 50:261-268. https://doi.org/10.1530/jrf.0.0500261
- Kahl R and Kappus H. 1993. Toxicology of the synthetic antioxidants BHA and BHT in comparison with the natural antioxidant vitamin E. Z. Lebensm. Unters. Forsch. 196:329-338. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01197931
- Malo C, Gil L, Cano R, Martinez F and Gale I. 2011. Antioxidant effect of rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) on boar epididymal spermatozoa during cryopreservation. Theriogenology 75:1735-1741. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.theriogenology.2011.01.013
- Malo C, Gil L, Gonzalez N, Martinez F, Cano R, de Blas I and Espinosa E. 2010. Anti-oxidant supplementation improves boar sperm characteristics and fertility after cryopreservation: Comparison between cysteine and rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis). Cryobiology 61:142-147. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cryobiol.2010.06.009
- Maxwell WM and Stojanov T. 1996. Liquid storage of ram semen in the absence or presence of some antioxidants. Reprod. Fertil. Dev. 8:1013-1020. https://doi.org/10.1071/RD9961013
- Pursel VG and Johnson LA. 1975. Freezing of boar spermatozoa: Fertilizing capacity with concentrated semen and a new thawing procedure. J. Anim. Sci. 40:99-102. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1975.40199x
- Rodriguez-Martinez H. 2003. Laboratory semen assessment and prediction of fertility: Still utopia? Reprod. Dom. Anim. 38:312-318. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1439-0531.2003.00436.x
- USDA. 2003. USDA Database for the flavonoid contents of selected foods. US Department of Agriculture, Beltsville.
- Watson PF. 2000. The causes of reduced fertility with cryopreserved semen. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 60-61:481-492. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-4320(00)00099-3
- Whitaker M and Smith J. 2008. Introduction. Calcium signals and developmental patterning. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B. Biol. Sci. 363:1307-1310. https://doi.org/10.1098/rstb.2007.2248
- Yanishlieva NV and Marinova EM. 1996. Antioxidative effectiveness of some natural antioxidants in sunflower oil. Z. Lebensm. Unters. Forsch. 203:220-223. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01192867
- Yu IJ. 2014. Canine sperm cryopreservation using glucose in glycerol-free Tris. Cryo. Letters. 35:101-107.
- Yu YG, Shin MH and Choi JW. 2002. The anti-oxidative stress effect of antioxidants in the cell using DCFH-DA. J. Soc. Cos. Sci. Ko. 28:42-57.