- Volume 39 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Fuzzy PD plus I Controller of a CSTR for Temperature Control
- Lee, Joo-Yeon (Graduated School, Korea Maritime and Ocean University) ;
- So, Hye-Rim (Graduated School, Korea Maritime and Ocean University) ;
- Lee, Yun-Hyung (Education & Research Team, Korea Institute of Maritime and Fisheries Technology) ;
- Oh, Sea-June (Division of Marine Engineering, Korea Maritime and Ocean University) ;
- Jin, Gang-Gyoo (Division of IT, Korea Maritime and Ocean University) ;
- So, Myung-Ok (Division of Marine Engineering, Korea Maritime and Ocean University)
- Received : 2015.05.13
- Accepted : 2015.06.11
- Published : 2015.06.30
A chemical reaction occurring in CSTR (Continuous Stirred Tank Reactor) is significantly affected by the concentration, temperature, pressure, and reacting time of materials, and thus it has strong nonlinear and time-varying characteristics. Also, when an existing linear PID controller with fixed gain is used, the performance could deteriorate or could be unstable if the system parameters change due to the change in the operating point of CSTR. In this study, a technique for the design of a fuzzy PD plus I controller was proposed for the temperature control of a CSTR process. In the fuzzy PD plus I controller, a linear integral controller was added to a fuzzy PD controller in parallel, and the steady-state performance could be improved based on this. For the fuzzy membership function, a Gaussian type was used; for the fuzzy inference, the Max-Min method of Mamdani was used; and for the defuzzification, the center of gravity method was used. In addition, the saturation state of the actuator was also considered during controller design. The validity of the proposed method was examined by comparing the set-point tracking performance and the robustness to the parameter change with those of an adaptive controller and a nonlinear proportional-integral-differential controller.
- W. H. Ray, Advanced Process Control, McGraw-Hill Book Co., N.Y., 1981.
- J. P. Corriou, Process Control: Theory and Applications, Springer-Verlag, London, 2004.
- M. Korkmaz, O. Aydogdu, and H. Dogan, "Design and performance comparison of variable parameter nonlinear PID controller and genetic algorithm based PID controller," Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Innovations in Intelligent Systems and Applications, pp. 1-5, 2012.
- C. T. Chen and S. T. Peng, "Learning control of process systems with hard input constraints," Journal of Process Control, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 151-160, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0959-1524(98)00038-9
- L. S. Saoud, F. Rahmoune, V. Tourtchine, and K. Baddari, "An inexpensive embedded electronic continuous stirred tank reactor (CSTR) based on neural networks," Proceedings of the International Conference on Multimedia Technology, pp. 6233-6237, 2011.
- U. S. Banu and G. Uma, "Fuzzy gain scheduled pole placement based on state feedback control of CSTR," Proceedings of the International Conference on Information and Communication Technology in Electrical Sciences, pp. 63-68, 2007.
- M. A. Nekoui, M. A. Khameneh, and M. H. Kazemi, "Optimal design of PID controller for a CSTR system using particle swarm optimization (PSO)," Proceedings of the 14th International Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference, pp. T7-63-T7-66, 2010.
- S. Tong, T. Wang, and J. T. Tang, "Fuzzy adaptive output tracking control of nonlinear systems," Fuzzy Sets and Systems, vol. 111, no. 2, pp. 169-182, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-0114(98)00058-X
- I. Rojas, H. Pomares, J. Gonzalez, L. J. Herrera, A. Guillen, F. Rojas, and O. Valenzuela, "Adaptive fuzzy controller: Application to the control of the temperature of a dynamic room in real time," Fuzzy Sets and Systems, vol. 157, no. 16, pp. 2241-2258, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fss.2006.03.006
- S. Boobalan, K. Prabhu, and V. Murali Bhaskaran, "Fuzzy based temperature controller for continuous stirred tank reactor," International Journal of Advanced Research in Electrical, Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering, vol. 2, no. 12, pp. 5835-5842, 2013
- D. F. Ahmed and M. N. Esmaeel, "Fuzzy logic control of continuous stirred tank reactor," Tikrit Journal of Engineering Sciences, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 70-80, 2013.
- Fuzzy PD Plus I Control-based Adaptive Cruise Control System in Simulation and Real-time Environment pp.0974-780X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/03772063.2017.1407269