- Volume 16 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Effects of Schroth 3-Dimensional Exercise on Cubb's Angle, Abdominal Endurance, Flexibility and Balance in Adolescents with Idiopathic Scoliosis
특발성 측만증 청소년의 Schroth 3차원 운동이 콥스각과 복부근지구력 및 유연성, 평형성에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2015.04.14
- Accepted : 2015.06.11
- Published : 2015.06.30
The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of 8-week schroth 3-dimensional exercise and ball-sling complex exercise treatment on cobb's angle, abdominal muscle endurance, flexibility and balance in adolescents with idiopathic scoliosis. Thirty subjects with scoliosis were random assignment into one of two experimental groups, either schroth treatment(n=15) or ball-sling complex exercise treatment(n=15). Exercise program was to perform for 8-week and 90min and 3 times per week. The results of this study were as follows; First, cobb's angle was significantly decreased after 8-weeks in schroth treatment(p<.001). And also abdominal muscle endurance(p<.05), flexibility(p<.001) and balance(p<.001) were significantly improve in pre vs. post treatment. Second, the ratio of cobb's angle change was significantly higher in schroth treatment compared to ball-sling complex exercise treatment following 8-weeks(p<.05). These results suggest that although both the schroth treatment and bal-sling complex exercise treatment in adolescents with idiopathic scoliosis can improve on cobb's angle, abdominal muscle endurance, flexibility and balance, but schroth treatment was better than ball-sling complex exercise treatment improving effect of cobb's angle. Therefore, we consider that schroth treatment has more effect of prevention and therapy in idiopathic scoliosis in adolescents.
Ball exercise;Cobb's angle;Idiopathic scoliosis;Schroth;Sling exercise
- Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism, "Survey on Citizens' sports participation". A periodical publication of Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism, 2012.
- Heine J, Meister R, "Quantitative analysis of the functions of the lungs and of blood-gases in young patients with scoliosis, using a functional diagnostic minimal program", Z Orthop Ihr Grenzgeb, Vol. 110, No. 1, pp. 56-62, 1972.
- Weinstein S. L, "Idiopathic scoliosis in adolescence. Incidence and progression of untreated scoliosis", Orthopade, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 74-86, 1989.
- Brooks H. L, Azen S. P, Gerberg E, Brooks R, Chan L, "Scoliosis: A prospective epidemiological study", J Bone Joint Surg Am, Vol. 57, No. 7, pp. 968-72, 1975.
- Rogala E. J, Drummond D. S, Gurr J, "Scoliosis: incidence and natural history. A prospective epidemiological study", J Bone Joint Surg Am, Vol. 60, No. 2, pp. 173-6, 1978.
- Kane W. J, "Scoliosis prevalence: a call for a statement of terms", Clin Orthop Relat Res, Vol. 126, pp. 43-6, 1977. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00003086-197707000-00006
- Lehnert-Schroth C, "Introduction to the threedimensional scoliosis treatment according to schroth. Physiotherapy, Vol. 78, No. 11, pp. 810-815, 1992. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0031-9406(10)60451-8 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-9406(10)60451-8
- McCool F. D, Rochester D. F, The lungs and the chest wall diseases, In: Murray J. F, and Nadel J. A(eds), Textbook of respiratory medicine, 3rd edition, WB saunder(Philadelphia), pp. 2357-2376, 2000.
- Mayo N. E, Goldberg M. S, Poitras B, Scott S, Hanley J, "The Ste-Justine Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis Cohort Study. Part III: Back pain", Spine, Vol. 19, No. 14, pp. 1573-81, 1994. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199407001-00005 https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199407001-00005
- Weinstein S. L, Dolan L. A, Spratt K. F, Peterson K. K, Spoonamore M. J, Ponseti I. V, "Health and function of patients with untreated idiopathic scoliosis: a 50-year natural history study", JAMA, Vol. 289, No. 5, pp. 559-67, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1001/jama.289.5.559 https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.289.5.559
- Moe J. H, Byrd J. A. Idiopathic scoliosis. In: Lonsteins J. E, Winter R. B, Bradford D. S, Olgivie J. W, editors. Moe's textbook of scoliosis and other spinal deformities. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders; 1987. p.191-232.
- Health Insurance Review & Assessment Servise. "The curved back of teenager waist-Scoliosis caution" A press release, pp. 1-5, 2011.
- Weinstein S. L, "Natural history", Spine, Vol. 24, No. 24, pp. 2592-600, 1999. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199912150-00006 https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199912150-00006
- Robinson C. M, McMaster M. J, "Juvenile idiopathic scoliosis. Curve patterns and prognosis in one hundred and nine patients", J Bone Joint Surg Am, Vol. 78, No. 8, pp. 1140-8, 1996.
- Lonstein J. E, Carlson J. M, "The prediction of curve progression in untreated idiopathic scoliosis during growth", J Bone Joint Surg Am, Vol. 66, No. 7, pp. 1061-71, 1984.
- Landauer F, Wimmer C, "Therapieziel der Korsettbehandlung bei idiopathischer Adoleszentenskoliose", MOT, Vol. 123, pp. 33-37, 2003.
- Weiss H. R, Negrini S, Rigo M, Kotwicki T, Hawes M. C, Grivas T. B, Maruyama T, Landauer F, "Indications for conservative management of scoliosis (guidelines)", Scoliosis, Vol. 8, pp. 1-5, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1748-7161-1-1
- Negrini S, Atanasio S, Zaina F, Romano M, "Rehabilitation of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis: results of exercises and bracing from a series of clinical studies", Eur J Phys Rehabil Med, Vol. 44, No. 2, pp. 169-76, 2008.
- Otman S, Kose N, Yakut Y, "The efficacy of Schroth's 3-dimensional exercise therapy in the treatment of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis in Turkey", Neurosciences (Riyadh), Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 277-83, 2005.
- Borysov M, Borysov A, "Scoliosis short-term rehabilitation(SSTR) according to 'Best Pratice' standard are the results repeatable", Scoliosis, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp 1-17, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1748-7161-7-1 https://doi.org/10.1186/1748-7161-7-1
- Lee J. H, Kim S. Y, "Comparative Effectiveness of Schroth Therapeutic Exercise Versus Sling Therapeutic Exercise in Flexibility, Balance, Spine Angle and Chest Expansion in Patient with Scoliosis", J Korea Soc Phys Med, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 11-23, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2014.9.1.11 https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2014.9.1.11
- Cho J. H, Lee W. Y, Kim K. T, Choi, E. S, Lee D. T, "The Effect of Regular Exercise Program on Cobb's Angle and Fitness Parameters in Teenagers with Scoliosis", The Korea Journal of Physical Education, Vol. 43, No. 3, pp. 743-51. 2004.
- Moon H. K, So J. M, Han K. S, "The effect of torso rotation exercise on the alleviation of the curvature of the female adolescent idiopathic scoliosis", The Korea Journal of Physical Education, Vol. 46, No. 2, pp. 441-50. 2007.
- Negrini S, Negrini A, Romano M, Verzini N, Negrini A, Parzini S, "A controlled prospective study on the efficacy of SEAS.02 exercises in preparation to bracing for idiopathic scoliosis", Stud Health Technol Inform, Vol. 123, pp. 519-22, 2006.
- Kim M. S, Yang J. H, "The effects of scoliosis correction and swiss ball exercises on scoliosis in high school male students", The Korea Journal of Physical Education, Vol. 42, No. 2, pp. 579-86. 2003.
- Kim S. Y, Kwon J, H, "Lumbar stabilization exercises using the sling system", The Journal of Academy of Orthopedic Manual Therapy, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 23-39. 2001.
- Park S. H, "Effect of Sling Lumbar Stabilization Exercise on the Balance of Idiopathic Scoliosis Patients", Samyook university, master's dissertation, 2007.
- Cailliet R, Scoliosis: Diagnosis and Management, F.A. Davis(Philadelphia), pp. 41-48, 1975.
- Harrington P. R, "The etiology of idiopathic scoliosis", Clin Orthop Relat Res, Vol. 126, pp. 17-25, 1977. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00003086-197707000-00003 https://doi.org/10.1097/00003086-197707000-00003
- Stokes I. A. F, Burwell R. G, Dangerfield P. H, "Biomechanical spinal growth modulation and progressive adolescent scoliosis -a test of the 'vicious cycle' pathogenetic hypothesis: Summary of an electronic focus group debate of the IBSE", Scoliosis, Vol. 1, pp. 16, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1748-7161-1-16 https://doi.org/10.1186/1748-7161-1-16
- Duval-Beaupere G, Lespargot A, Grossiord A, "Flexibility of scoliosis. What does it mean? Is this terminology appropriate?", Spine, Vol. 10, No. 5, pp. 428-32, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-198506000-00005
- Kuru T, Yeldan I, Dereli E. E, Ozdincler A. R, Dikici F, Colak I, "The efficacy of three-dimensional Schroth exercises in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis: A randomised controlled clinical trial", Clin Rehabil. 16. pii:0269215515575745 [Epub ahead of print], 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0269215515575745 https://doi.org/10.1177/0269215515575745
- Schreiber S, Parent E. C, Hedden D. M, Moreau M, Hill D, Lou E, "Effect of Schroth exercises on curve characteristics and clinical outcomes in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis: protocol for a multicentre randomised controlled trial", J Physiother, 60(4):234, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jphys.2014.08.008
- Herling O, "Clinical measurements, radiological and cosmetic improvements in a girl with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis treated with a Schroth rehabilitation program: a single case study", Scoliosis, Vol. 4(Suppl 2):O28, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1748-7161-4-S2-O28 https://doi.org/10.1186/1748-7161-4-S2-O28
- Fusco C, Zaina F, Atanasio S, Romano M, Negrini A, Negrini S, "Physical exercise in the treatment of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis: An update systematic review", Physiotherapy Theory and Practice, Vol. 27, No. 1, pp 80-114, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3109/09593985.2010.533342 https://doi.org/10.3109/09593985.2010.533342
- Weiss H. R, Seibel S, "Scoliosis short-term rehabilitation(SSTR)- A pilot investigation", The Internet Journal of Rehabilitation, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 1-17, 2010.
- Lee S. H, Kim J. H, "A Study on the Actual Conditions of Scoliosis in Fifth and Sixth Grade School children", The Journal of the korean society of school health, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 143-48, 1999.
- Kim K, Han J. T, Lee H. J, "Effects of swiss ball exercise on scoliosis and flexibility in adults", Journal of Korea sport research, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 253-61, 2007.
- Kim S. H, "Effect of Sling Exercise Program on the Body of Junior High School Girls with Idiopathic Scoliosis", Hanshin university, master's dissertation, 2010.
- Park H, "Effects of conditioning program by elastic band and ball on scoliosis correction in dancers", Dongduk women's university, master's dissertation, 2007.
- Jeon Y. N, Yang J. H, Kim M. S, Park W. I, Kim H. T, "The effects of barre exercise on flexibility, balance, and scoliosis improvement in high school female students with scoliosis", The Korea Journal of Physical Education, Vol. 44, No. 1, pp. 686-91. 2005.
- Danneels L. A, Coorevits P. L, Cools A. M, Vanderstraeten G. G, Cambier D. C, Witvrouw E. E, De C. H, "Differences in electromyographic activity in the multifidus muscle and the iliocostalis lumborum between healthy subjects and patients with sub-acute and chronic low back pain", Eur Spine J, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 13-9, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s005860100314 https://doi.org/10.1007/s005860100314
- Mooney V, Gulick J, Pozos R, "A preliminary report on the effect of measured strength training in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis", J Spinal Disord, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 102-7, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00002517-200004000-00002 https://doi.org/10.1097/00002517-200004000-00002
- Romano M, Negrini A, Parzini S, Negrini S, "Scientific Exercises Approach to Scoliosis (SEAS): efficacy, efficiency and innovation", Stud Health Technol Inform, Vol. 135, pp. 191-207, 2008.
- Choi B. C, Cho Y. H, Kim H, "The effect of lumbar stabilization program using a swiss ball on lumbar strength and muscle activity in Ssireum players", The korean journal of physical education, Vol. 48, No. 4, pp. 503-12, 2009.
- Zaina F, Negrini S, Atanasio S, Fusco C, Romano M, Negrini A, "Specific exercises performed in the period of brace weaning can avoid loss of correction in Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis (AIS) patients", Scoliosis, Vol. 7, pp. 4-8, 2009.
- Moon H. H, Jang K. T, "The Effect of Correction Exercise Program on Primary School Students with Idiopathic Scoliosis", Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies, Vol. 31, pp. 1033-42, 2007.
- Byeon S. H, "An effect of chiropractic and message scoliosis' cobb's angle and sense equilibrium", Pusan university of foreign studies, master's dissertation, 2008.
- Park K. D, Joo S. B, Yoon S. D, "The Effect of Chiropractic on ROM of Spine and Balance of Dynamic for Scoliosis Patients", The Korea Society of Sports Science, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 561-70, 2006.