- Volume 16 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Trend in Household Catastrophic Medical Expenditure according to Healthcare Coverage Types and Its Associated Factors
의료보장 형태에 따른 연간 가구 과부담 의료비 지출 추이와 관련요인
- Received : 2015.04.30
- Accepted : 2015.06.11
- Published : 2015.06.30
This study aims to examine the trend in household catastrophic medical expenditure according to the healthcare coverage types and its associated factors based on the raw data of the Korean Health Panel over the years 2008 to 2011. Correspondence analysis was used to investigate the trend in the incidence rates of annual catastrophic medical expenditure and generalized estimating equation to examine the factors influencing the incidence of catastrophic medical expenditure. The annual mean incidence rates of household catastrophic medical expenditure were 25.1%, 15.4%, 10.1%, 5.4% and 3.2% in the threshold levels of 10%, 15%, 20%, 30%, and 40% respectively. The incidence rate of household catastrophic medical expenditure was higher when the total annual household income was lower, the education level of the householder was lower, the healthcare coverage type was National Health Insurance, the householder had disability, the age of the householder was older, the number of household members was smaller, the subjective health status of household members was lower, and the prevalence rate of the chronic disease of the household was higher(p<0.05). Therefore, a policy for vulnerable households with older or patient members of chronic diseases should be established.
Annual;Catastrophic medical expenditure;Healthcare coverage type;Korea Health Panel;Policy for vulnerable groups
- C. Y. Kim, Theory of the Health Security, Hanwool Academy, 2009.
- K. S. Kim, H. O. Lee, "Household Catastrophic Health Expenditure and Unmet Needs depending on the Types of Health Care System", Social Welfare Policy, Vol.39 No.4, pp. 255-279, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15855/swp.2012.39.4.255 https://doi.org/10.15855/swp.2012.39.4.255
- The Ministry of Health and Welfare, 2010 national health and national health accounts, 2012.
- H. R. Kim, J. Y. Yeo, "A Comparison of Korean Health Status and Health Care System Performance with OECD Countries", Health and Welfare Forum, Vol.196, pp. 89-102, 2013.
- J. Y. Lee, Factors influencing the recurrence of household catastrophic health expenditure, Graduate School of Public Health Seoul National University, 2012.
- WHO, World Health Report 2000, Geneva Switzerland, 2000.
- A. Wagstaff, E. van Doorslaer, "Catastrophe and impoverishment in paying for health care: with applications to Vietnam 1993-1998", Health Economics, Vol.12 No.11, pp. 921-934, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/hec.776 https://doi.org/10.1002/hec.776
- K. Xu, "Distribution of Health Payment and Catastrophic Expenditures Methodology", pp 1-11, WHO, 2005.
- K. Xu, D. B. Evans, K. Kawabata, R. Zeramdini, J. Klavus, C. J. Murray, "Household catastrophic health expenditure: a multicountry analysis", Lancet, Vol.362 No.9378, pp. 111-117, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(03)13861-5 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(03)13861-5
- J. Y. Park, G. T. Jeong, Y. M. Kim, "A Panel Study on Determinants of Catastrophic Health Expenditure of the Middle-and Old-Aged Households" Health Policy and Management, Vol.24 No.1, pp. 56-70, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4332/KJHPA.2014.24.1.56 https://doi.org/10.4332/KJHPA.2014.24.1.56
- Y. I. Jeong, H. J. Lee, T. J Lee, H. S. Kim, "Measures of Household Catastrophic Health Expenditure: Systematic Review and Implications", The Korean Journal of Health Economics and Policy, Vol.19 No.4, pp. 01-27, 2013.
- M. Diker, J. H. Sunshine, "Determinants of financially burden-some family health expenses, United States, 1980", Natl Med Care Util Expend Serv C, No.6, pp. 1-66, 1988.
- H. J. Lee, T. J. Lee, "Factors Associated with Incidence and Recurrence of Household Catastrophic Health Expenditure in South Korea", Korean Social Security Studies, Vol.28 No.3, pp. 39-62, 2012.
- S. I. Sohn, Y. J. Shin, C. Y. Kim, "Factors Influencing Household Catastrophic Health Expenditure of The poor", Health and Social Welfare Review, Vol.30 No.1, pp. 92-110, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2010.30.1.92 https://doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2010.30.1.92
- J. K Choi, H. S Jeong, J. W. Shin, J. Y. Yeo, "Effects of the benefit extension policy on the burdening of health care expenditure for households with patients of chronic or serious case", Korean J. of Health Policy & Administration, Vol.21 No.2, pp. 159-178, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4332/KJHPA.2011.21.2.159 https://doi.org/10.4332/KJHPA.2011.21.2.159
- S. H. Roh, "The longitudinal Study on the Factors of Catastrophic Health Expenditure Among Disabled Elderly Households", Korean Journal of Social Welfare, Vol.64 No.3, pp. 51-77. 2012.
- Y. Li, Q. Wu, L. Xu, D. Legge, Y. Hao, L. Gao, "Factors affecting catastrophic health expenditure and impoverishment from medical expenses in China: policy implications of universal health insurance", Bull World Health Organ, Vol.90 No.9, pp. 664-671. 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2471/BLT.12.102178 https://doi.org/10.2471/BLT.12.102178
- C. Jiang, J. Ma, X. Zhang, W. Luo, "Measuring financial protection for health in families with chronic conditions in Rural China", BMC Public Health, Vol.12, pp. 988, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-12-988 https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-12-988
- S. J. Kim, S. I. Huh, "Financial Burden of Health Care Expenditure and Unmet Needs by Socioeconomic Status", The Korean Journal of Health Economics and Policy, Vol.17 No.1, pp. 47-70, 2011.
- W. Y. Lee, Y. J. Shin. "Catastrophic Health Expenditures among Income Groups in Urban Households", Korean Social Security Studies, Vol.21 No.2, pp. 105-133, 2005.
- J. P. Action, "Nonmonetary factors in the demand for medical services: some empirical evidence", Journal of Political Economy, Vol.83 No.3, pp. 178, 1975.
- T. J. Lee, H. J. Lee, Y. H Kim, "Analysis of Catastrophic Health Expenditures Using 1st Wave Korea Health Panel Data", The Korean Journal Health Economics and Policy, Vol.18 No.1, pp. 95-111, 2012.
- C. L. Cheong, T. J. Lee, "The factors influencing the occurrence and recurrence of catastrophic health expenditure among household in Seoul", Korean J. of Health Policy & Administration, Vol.22 No.2, pp. 275-296, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4332/KJHPA.2012.22.2.275 https://doi.org/10.4332/KJHPA.2012.22.2.275
- R. Choi, "Health Care Utilization according to Income class and Subjective Income class : Measurements Based on Korea Health Panel", Health and Social Science, Vol.33, pp. 85-107, 2013.
- Medical security and catastrophic health expenditures among households containing persons with disabilities in Korea: a longitudinal population-based study vol.15, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12939-016-0406-9