- Volume 16 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Analysis of Hospital Characteristics affecting Blood Transfusion to the patients under Knee or Hip Total Replacement Arthroplasty
슬관절과 고관절 전치환술 환자의 수혈에 영향을 미치는 병원특성 요인 분석
- Received : 2015.04.29
- Accepted : 2015.06.11
- Published : 2015.06.30
The problems related with blood supply shortage and the stability of blood transfusion are on the rise, as it is expected that the blood doners will decrease but the blood use amount for aged population will increase, owing to low birth and aged population increase. The purpose of this study is to analyze the hospital characteristics which affect patients receiving and non-receiving blood transfusion for the knee and hip total replacement arthroplasty. Data were collected from Health Insurance Review and Assessment Service's 2011 sample data, and 5,370 inpatients were abstracted from them. Logistic regression analysis was performed, using SPSS 20. Independent variables used are hospital characteristics variables and patient characteristics variables. Hospital characteristics variables are hospital type, ownership, residence and the number of usable beds, and patient characteristics variables are gender, age, severity, type of anesthesia, main diagnosis, whether or not of anemia and insurance class. At the result of this study, it was found that hospital type, region, gender, age, severity, main diagnosis and whether or not of anemia were the factors that mostly affected the blood transfusion for knee arthroplasty. And hospital type, residence, gender, age, severity, type of anesthesia and whether of not of anemia were the factors that mostly affected the blood transfusion for hip arthroplasty. In addition to that, it is expected that this research which analyzed the present state of blood transfusion and its influence factors are cost effective, and would make a good use of preliminary data for good quality of medical service.
Transfusion;Total Knee Replacement Arthroplasty;Total Hip Replacement Arthroplasty
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention/Department of Blood safety monitoring, December. 2013 year statistics of blood fact, http://www.cdc.go.kr/CDC/health/CdcKrHealth0402.jsp?menuIds=HOME001-MNU1131-MNU0102-MNU0206&fid=48&q_type=&q_value=&cid=23707&pageNum. 2014.
- Review 2 Team in Department of Review at Health Insurance Review Agency, "Evaluation of appropriateness of blood utilities", Journal of the Korean medical Assiciation, Vol. 49, No. 5, pp. 402-409, 2006. https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2006.49.5.402
- Review 2 Team in Department of Review at Health Insurance Review Agency, Steadily decreased of blood product utilities of medical institutions-After 2002 years Evaluation of Appropriateness of Blood utilities, Decreased transfusion" http://129.go.kr/news/news02-view.jsp?n=1267', 2007.
- D. R. Spahn, "Anemia and Patient Blood Management in Hip anf Knee Surgery; A systematic review of the literature", Anesthesiology, Vol. 113, pp. 482-495, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/ALN.0b013e3181e08e97 https://doi.org/10.1097/ALN.0b013e3181e08e97
- I. Y. Syed, B. L. Davis. Obesity and osteoarthritis of the knee. Hypotheses concerning the relationship between ground reaction forces and quadriceps fatigue in long duration walking. Medical Hypotheses, Vol. 54, No. 2, pp. 182-185, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1054/mehy.1999.0013 https://doi.org/10.1054/mehy.1999.0013
- H. S. Kim, K. W. Park, G. S. Han. "Blood Utilization: audit of transfusion using an electronic review system", The Korea Journal of Blood Transfusion, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 93-104, 2010
- C. J. Kim, S. J. Kim, Forum for improving blood management polices 2014, Ido;http://www.cjkorea.org/zbxe/?mid=mmt2_4&act, 2014
- A. W. Wells, P. J. Mounter, C. E. Chapman, D. Stainsby, J. P. Wallis. "Where does blood go? Prospective observational study of red cell transfusion in North England", Blood Management Journal. Vol. 325, pp. 803-806, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.325.7368.803
- K. M. Ho, H. Ismail, Use of intravenous tranexamic acid to reduce allogenic blood transfusion in total hip and knee arthroplasy: a meta-analysis. Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Vol. 31, No. 5, pp. 529-537, 2003.
- R Nadia etc, "Orthopedic surgry transfusion hemoglobin European overview(OSTHEO) study: blood management in elective knee and hip arthroplasty in Europe". Transfusion, Vol. 43, pp. 459-469, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.1537-2995.2003.00348.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1537-2995.2003.00348.x
- I. Grzelak, M. Zaleska, W. L. Olszewski. "Blood transfusions down regulate hematopoiesis and subsequently downregulate the immune response". Transfusion, Vol. 38, pp. 1104-1114, 1998. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.1537-2995.1998.38111299056323.x
- J. W. Ironside, "Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease: risk of transmission by blood transfusion and blood therapies". Haemophilia, Vol. 12, pp.8-15, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2516.2006.01195.x
- R. W. Taylor, L. Manganaro, J. ÓBrien, S. J. Trottier, N. Parkar, C. Veremakis. "Impact of allogenic packed red blood cell transfusion on nosocomial infection rates in the critically ill patient", Critical Care Medicine, Vol. 30, No. 10, pp. 2249-2254, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00003246-200210000-00012 https://doi.org/10.1097/00003246-200210000-00012
- H. J. Shin. "Many problems transfusion reactions should induce non-transfusion therapy", Seloul: Whosaengsinbo. 2013.
- S. Guerin, C. Collins, H. Kapoor, I. McClean, D. Collins. "Blood transfusion requirement prediction in patients undergoing primary total hip and knee arthroplasty", Transfusion Medicine, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 37-43, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-3148.2006.00698.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-3148.2006.00698.x
- H. Gombotz, P. H. Rehak, A. Shander, A. Hofmann. "Blood use in elective surgery: the Austrian benchmark study", Transfusion, Vol. 47, No. 8, pp. 1468-1480, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1537-2995.2007.01286.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1537-2995.2007.01286.x
- M. R. Bong, V. Patel, E. Chang, P. S. Issack, R. Hebert, P. E. Cesare. "Risks Associated With Blood Transfusion After Total Knee Arthroplasty", The Journal of Arthroplasty, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 281-287, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2003.10.013 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2003.10.013
- J. W. Sin. etc. "Suggestion of Maximum surgical bolld order schedule for major elective surgeries in Korean", The Korea Journal of Blood Transfusion, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 30-37, 2004.
- J. R. Kwon etc. "An Anaysis of blood uasge and blood wastage in Korea hospitals in 2008", The Korea Journal of Blood Transfusion, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 184-194, 2009.
- S. K. Park, Y. S. Choi, Y.N. Chung. "The effects of preemptive anagesia to blood transfusion in total knee arthroplasty", The Korea Journal of Blood Transfusion, Vol. 24, No. 3, pp. 241-247, 2013.
- M. R. Choi. "Impact factors associated with transfusion-based on choleystectomy, totalknee replacement, cesarean section". Graduate master degree school of public health. Seoul: Yonsei University, 2005.
- P. J. Millett, M. Porramatikul, N. Chen, D. Zurakowski, J. Warner, "Analysis Of Transfusion Predictors In Shoulder Arthroplasty", The Journal Of Bone & Joint Surgery, Vol. 88, No. 6, pp. 1223-1230, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.E.00706 https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.E.00706
- M. P. Khanna, P. C. Hebert, D. A. Fergusson, "Review of the clinical practice literature on patient characteristics associated with perioperative allogeneic red blood transfusion". Transfusion Medicine, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 110-119, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1053/tmrv.2003.50008 https://doi.org/10.1053/tmrv.2003.50008
- A. M. Hatzidakis, R. M. Mendlick, T. McKillip, E. Reddy, K. Garvin, O. Nebraska, " Preoperative autologous donation for total joint arthroplasty. An analysis of risk factors for allogenic transfusion", The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery America, Vol. 82, No. 1, pp. 82-89, 2000.
- S. M. Lee. "Domestic donation rate of 5%, bloodless surgery attention". Seoul: Maeil Business Newspaper, 2011.
- Ministry of Health & Wellfare, Korea centers for Disease Control and Prevention, "Guideline of transfusion 2011", Seoul: The Korea journal of blood transfusion Special publication. 2011
- C. A. Matthews, S. Cohen, K. Hull, V. Ramakrishnan, N. Reid, "Risk Factors for Blood Transfusion in Women Undergoing Hysterectomy for Benign Disease", Journal Of Gynecologic Surgery, Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 108-112, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1089/gyn.2011.0045 https://doi.org/10.1089/gyn.2011.0045
- S. K. Nanjayan, G. N. Swamy, S. Yellu, S. Yallappa, T. Abuzakuk, R. Straw, "In-hospital complications following primary total hip and knee arthroplasty in octogenarian and nonagenarian patients", Journal of Orthopaed Traumatol, Vol. 15, pp. 29-33, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10195-013-0262-y https://doi.org/10.1007/s10195-013-0262-y
- R. E. C. Rose, A. Crichlow, C. Walters, A. Ameerally, G. Gordon-Strachan. "Blood Transfusion Practices in Total Joint Arthroplasties in Jamaica", Jornal of Clinical Medicine Research, Vol. 1, No. 5, pp. 67-273, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4021/jocmr2009.12.1279
- Y. M. Kim, "Application of patient safety indicators using Korean national hospital discharge In-depth injury survey". Journal of the Korea Academia-industrial cooperation society, Vol. 14, No. 5, pp. 2293-2303, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.5.2293 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.5.2293
- T. H. Um, "Deveopment of National Guideline for Transfusion", Korea centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Seoul: Scientific Research project final Report Service. 2008.
Supported by : 순천향대학교