- Volume 16 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Effects of Self Efficacy, Body Image and Family Support on Postpartum Depression in Early Postpartum Mothers
산욕초기 산모의 산후우울에 자기효능감, 신체상, 가족지지가 미치는 영향
- Lee, Ji-Won (Department of Nursing, Catholic University of Pusan) ;
- Eo, Yong-Sook (Department of Nursing, Dongeui University) ;
- Moon, Eun-Hye (Department of Nursing, Good MoonHwa Hospital)
- Received : 2015.03.17
- Accepted : 2015.06.11
- Published : 2015.06.30
The purpose of this study was to determine the self efficacy, body image and family support affect on postpartum depression in early postpartum mothers. The data was collected 306 mothers on the first week after delivery from one hospital located in B city. The instruments were a survey of general characteristics, obstetrical characteristics, the Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale(EPDS), self-efficacy, body image and family support. Data was analysed using descriptive statistics, Pearson correlation coefficients, and stepwise multiple regression. The results revealed that the average item score of the EPDS was 6.09. The significant predictors of postpartum depression were body image, emotional state in pregnancy, and family support. These variables had a 38.4% explainability. The results indicate that the postpartum mothers should be screened for postpartum depression early in the postpartum period and it's necessary to implement nursing intervention focused on to enhance the body image and family support, especially the weak emotional state mothers in pregnancy.
- E. G. You, N. M. Kang, M. H. Kim, S. A. Kim, S. J. Kim, "Maternity women health nursing II", Seoul, Hyunmoonsa. 2008.
- M. K. Kwon, H. W. Kim, N. S. Kim, J. A. Jang, "Postpartum depression and maternal role confidence, parenting stress, and infant temperament in mothers of young infants", Journal of Korean Academy of Child Health Nursing, 12, 3, pp. 314-321, 2006.
- S. O. Meadows, S. S. McLanahan, J. Brooks-Gunn, "Parental depression and anxiety and early childhood behavior problesm across family types", Journal of Marriage and Family, 69, 5, pp. 1162-1177, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-3737.2007.00439.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-3737.2007.00439.x
- S. N. Vigod, L. Villegas, C. L. Dennis, L. E. Ross, "Prevalence and risk factors for postpartum depression among women with preterm and low-birth-weight infants: a systematic review", An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecolgy, 117, 5, pp. 540-550, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-0528.2009.02493.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-0528.2009.02493.x
- Z. N. Stowe, A. L. Hostetter, D. J. Newport, "The onset of postpartum depression: implications for clinical screening in obstetrical and primary care", American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 192, 2, pp. 522-526, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2004.07.054 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2004.07.054
- C. T. Beck, R. K. Gable, "Comparative analysis of the performance of the postpartum depression screening scale with two other depression instruments", Nursing Research, 50, 4, pp. 242-250, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00006199-200107000-00008 https://doi.org/10.1097/00006199-200107000-00008
- S. O. Lee, J. H. Yeo, S. H. Ahn, H. S. Lee, H. J. Yang, M. J. Han, "Postpartum depressive score and related factors pre- and post-delivery", Korean Journal of Women Health of Nursing16, 1, pp. 29-36, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2010.16.1.29 https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2010.16.1.29
- Y. J. Park, H. J. Shin, H. S. Ryu, S. H. Cheon, S. H. Moon, "The predictors of postpartum depression", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 34, 5, pp. 722-728, 2004.
- Y. M. Ahn, J. H. Kim, "Comparison of maternal self-esteem, postpartal depression, and family function in mothers of normal and of low birth-weight infants", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 33, 5, pp. 580-590, 2003.
- C. A. T. Beck, "Predictors of postpartum depression: an update", Nursing Research, 50, 5, pp. 275-285, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00006199-200109000-00004 https://doi.org/10.1097/00006199-200109000-00004
- J. H. Youn, I. S. Jeong, "Predictors of postpartum depression: prospective cohort study", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 43, 2, pp. 225-235, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.2.225 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.2.225
- J. H. Yeo, "Postpartum depression and its predictors at six months postpartum", Journal of Korean Academy of Womens Health Nursing, 12, 4, pp. 355-362, 2006.
- K. S. Kim, "The effect of self-efficacy, social support on postpartum depression in mothers", Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Kyungpook National University, Daegu, 2012.
- E. S. Choi, K. E. Lee, "Relationships between body shape, body image and health complaints in women registered at a facility for managing body shape", Journal of Korean Academy of Woman's Health Nursing, 3, 2, pp. 169-180, 1998.
- B. H. Kim, H. W. Jeon, Y. Jung, "Relationship between postpartum depression and body image in postpartum women", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 32, 6, pp. 906-916, 2002.
- E. S. Park, "A study on burden and depression of the spouses talking care of CVA patients and their adaptation", Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Hanyang University, Seoul, 1999.
- S. D. Danielle, M. Jennifer, M. A. DiNallo, L. Tiffany, B. S. Kirner, "Determinants of pregnancy and postpartum depression: prospective influences of depressive symptoms, body image satisfaction, and exercise behavior", Annals of Behavioral Medicine, 36, 1, pp. 54-63, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12160-008-9044-9 https://doi.org/10.1007/s12160-008-9044-9
- J. L. Cox, J. M. Holden, R. Sagovsky, "Detection of postnatal depression, development of the 10 item Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale", British Journal of Psychiatry, 150, pp. 782-786, 1987. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1192/bjp.150.6.782 https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.150.6.782
- K. W. Han, M. J. Kim, J. M. Park, "The Edinburg Postnatal Depression Scale, Korean version: reliability and validity", Journal of Korean Society of Biological Therapies in Psychiatry, 10, 2, pp. 201-207. 2004.
- R. P. Lederman, C. G. Weingarten, E. Lederman, "Postpartum self evaluation questionnaire: measures of maternal adaptation", Birth Defects Original Article Series, 22, 6, pp. 201-231, 1981.
- J. H. Ahn, "A study on body image and self esteem for the hemodialysis patient", Unpublished master thesis, Ewha Womans Unviersity, Seoul, 1996.
- J. W. Park, "A study of the developmental instrument for social support", Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Yensei University, Seoul, 1985.
- J. S. Won, H. Cho, "The effect of community based mental health rehabilitation program on perceived family support of mentally ill patients", Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 7, 1, pp. 187-198, 1998.
- K. S. Bang, H. J. Kang, M. K. Kwon, "Relation of postpartum depression with socio-demographic and clinical characteristics of preterm infants and mothers", Child Health Nursing Research, 21, 1, pp. 1-10, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2015.21.1.1 https://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2015.21.1.1
- J. Y. Hwang, Y. K. Kim, S. B. Koh, C. K. Huh, J. D. Park, "A clinical study on the postpartum depression", Korean Journal of Obstetrics Gynecology, 42, pp. 1508-1512, 1999.
- A. L. Ryu, T. H. Kim, H. H. Lee, "Evaluation of risk factors for the postpartum depression with Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale(EPDS) score", Korean Journal of Perinatology, 21, 1, pp. 74-80, 2010.
- E. J. Jang, "Psychosocial and obstetric factors associated with postpartum depressive symptoms", Unpublished master thesis, Dongguk University, Seoul, 2008.
- M. H. Jung, J. I. Kim, "A study on the relationship among prenatal social support and postpartum blues", Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, 11, 1, pp. 38-45, 2005.
- Y. Y. Jung, H. W. Kim, "Factors associated with postpartum depression and its influence on maternal identity", Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, 20, 1, pp. 29-37, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2014.20.1.29 https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2014.20.1.29
- S. E. Lee, "A study of the postpartum weight retention, BMI, and body image in postpartum women", The Symposium of Korean Society of Nursing Science, 5, pp. 198-199, 2004.
- E. J. Kim, Y. H. Seo, "A narrative study on becoming a mother through experiences in the puerperal period", Child Studies in Diverse Context, 29, 1, pp. 115-131, 2008.
- Y. K. Shin, Y. S. Choi, "The effect of self efficacy, marital conflicts and prenatal depression on postpartum depression", Journal of Korea Association of Family Relations, 18, 1, pp. 155-176, 2013.
- F. Abdollahi, S. G. Sazlina, A. M. Zain, M. Zarghami, M. A. Jafarabadi, M. S. Lye, "Postpartum depression and psycho-socio-demographic predictors", Asia- Pacific Psychiatry, 6, 4, pp. 425-434, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/appy.12152
- J. Y. Bai, "Construction of a postpartum depression model", Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Ewha Womans University, Seoul, 1996.
- Status and Influencing factors of health behavior in pregnant women in Yanbian area vol.16, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.11.7863