- Volume 16 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Burden and Quality of Life in Terminal Cancer Patient's Family Caregivers in the area of Jeollanam-do
말기암환자 가족원의 부담감과 삶의 질: 전남지역을 중심으로
- Received : 2015.04.15
- Accepted : 2015.06.11
- Published : 2015.06.30
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to examine the burden and quality of life among family caregivers of terminal cancer patients and the relationship of these variables. Methods: Data were collected from 80 family caregivers and analyzed using SPSS 19.0 program. Results: Burden was found to have significant relationships with age, marriage, relations with patients, living together with patients and medical expense burden(p<.05). Quality of life was found to have significant differences according to age, marriage, educational background, relations with patients and living together with patients(p<.05). Burden and quality of life showed a negative correlation(r=-.538, p<.001). Conclusion: These results suggest that more attentions and interventions such as support programs should be given to family caregivers of terminal cancer patients, which can decrease the burden of family caregivers to enhance their quality of life.
Burden;Cancer;Correlation;Family Caregivers;Quality of Life
- National Cancer Center & Ministry of Health and Welfare, "Cancer Facts & Figures 2013", Seoul: National Cancer Center & Ministry of Health and Welfare, 2013.
- J. W. Hileman & N. R. Lackey, "Self-identified needs of patients with cancer at home and their home caregivers: a descriptive study", Oncology Nursing Forum, Vol. 17, No. 6, pp. 907-913, 1990.
- H. S. Jim & P. B. Jacobsen, "Posttraumatic stress and posttraumatic growth in cancer survivorship: a review", The Cancer Journal, Vol. 14, No. 6, pp. 414-419, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/PPO.0b013e31818d8963 https://doi.org/10.1097/PPO.0b013e31818d8963
- K. S. Han, S. Y. Khim, S. J. Lee, E. S. Park, Y. J. Park, J. H. Kim, K. M. Lee, H. C. Kang & J. W. Yoon, "Family functioning and quality of life of the family care-giver in cancer patients", Journal of Korean Academic Nursing, Vol. 36, No. 6, pp. 983-991, 2006.
- J. I. Cameron, R. L. Franche, A. M. Cheung & D. E. Stewart, "Lifestyle interference and emotional distress in family caregivers of advanced cancer patients", Cancer, Vol. 94, No. 2, pp. 521-527, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.10212
- I. S. Sung, J. Y. Kim, G. O. Noh, K. D. Ahn, E. J. Ryu & I. G. Kwon, "Quality of life and family burden in cancer patients", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Adult Nursing, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 603-613, 2007.
- S. Y. Kim, J. M. Kim, S. W. Kim, H. J. Kang, J. Y. Lee, I. S. Shin, H. J. Shim & J. S. Yoon, "Factors associated with quality of life of family caregivers in terminally ill cancer patients", Journal of the Korean Society of Biological Therapies in Psychiatry, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 227-237, 2014.
- S. S. Cheon & S. Y. Choi, "A study on the relationship among family support, stress and quality of life on according to the phases of illness in breast cancer patients", Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 10-19, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2010.16.1.10 https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2010.16.1.10
- H. M. Lee, "A study on the stress, nursing needs, and quality of life of the family caregiver who has family member with cancer under chemotherapy in outpatient clinics", Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul, 2011.
- National Cancer Information Center, "National Cancer Control Program" [Internet], Koyang: National Cancer Information Center, 2013 February 1 [cited 2015 March 1]. Available from: http://www.cancer.go.kr/mbs/cancer/subview.jsp?id=cancer_060108020000
- E. J. Ahn & Y. S. Lee, "Burnout and burden of family care-givers for caring of terminal patients with cancer", Asian Oncology Nursing, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 40-51, 2005.
- E. J. Emanuel, D. L. Fairclough, J. Slutsman & L. L. Emanuel, "Understanding economic and other burdens of terminal illness: The experience of patients and their caregivers", Annals of Internal Medicine, Vol. 132, No. 6, pp. 451-459, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-132-6-200003210-00030
- N. E. Goldstein, J. Concato, T. R. Fried, S. V. Kasl, R. Johnson-Hurzeler & E. H. Bradley, "Factors associated with caregiver burden among caregivers of terminally ill patients with cancer", Journal of Palliative Care, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 38-43, 2004.
- E. Sales, "Family burden and quality of life", Quality of Life Research, Vol. 12, No. Suppl. 1, pp. 33-41, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1023513218433
- B. Given, G. Wyatt, C. Given, P. Sherwood, A. Gift, D. DeVoss & M. Rahbar, "Burden and depression among caregivers of patients with cancer at the end of life", Oncology Nursing Forum, Vol. 31, No. 6, pp. 1105-1117, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1188/04.ONF.1105-1117 https://doi.org/10.1188/04.ONF.1105-1117
- D. A. Fleming, V. B. Sheppard, P. A. Mangan, K. L. Taylor, M. Tallarico, I. Adams & J. Ingham, "Caregiving at the end of life: Perceptions of health care quality and quality of life among patients and caregivers", Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, Vol. 31, No. 5, pp. 407-420, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j-jpainsymman.2005.09.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2005.09.002
- M. M. Clark, T. A. Rummans, J. A. Sloan, A. Jensen, P. J. Atherton, M. H. Frost, J. W. Richardson, J. M. Bostwick, M. E. Johnson, J. M. Hanson & P. D. Brown, "Quality of life of caregivers of patients with advanced-stage cancer", American Journal of Hospice & Palliative Medicine, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 185-191, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177.1049909106289074 https://doi.org/10.1177/1049909106289074
- E. Grunfeld, D. Coyle, T. Whelan, Je. Clinch, Le. Reyno, C. C. Earle, A. Willan, R. Viola, M. Coristine, T. Janz & R. Glossop, "Family caregiver burden: results of a longitudinal study of breast cancer patients and their principal caregivers", Canadian Medical Association Journal, Vol. 170, No. 12, pp. 1795-1801, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.1031205 https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.1031205
- M. Novak & C. Guest, "Application of a multidimensional caregiver burden inventory", Gerontologist, Vol. 29, No. 6, pp. 798-803, 1989. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/geront/29.6.798 https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/29.6.798
- S. N. Jang & S. J. Rhee, "A study on burden of family for caring of terminal cancer patients", Korean Public Health Research, Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 29-37, 2000.
- S. K. Min, C. I. Lee, K. I. Kim, S. Y. Suh & D. K. Kim, "Development of korean version of WHO quality of life scale abbreviated version (WHOQOL-BREF)", Journal of the Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, Vol. 39, No. 3, pp. 571-579, 2000.
- I. J. Lee & I. Y. Han, "Care burden among partners of cancer patients", Korean Journal of Family Social Work, Vol. 30, No. 12, pp. 197-224, 2010.
- Y. J. Bak, M. Y. Jeong & E. H. Ahn, "A study on the factors affecting sense of well-being of stroke survivor family care taker", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 31, No. 2, pp. 315-327, 2001.
- M. N. Park & S. H. Choi, "Function of social support on quality of life for the family caregivers of chronic inpatients", Chonnam Journal of Nursing Science, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 49-58, 2011.
- K. O. Lee & H. J. Yun, "Correlation between the self-esteem, spiritual wellbeing, depression, and quality of life in nurses caring of cancer patients", The Medical Journal of Chosun University, Vol. 31, No. 2, pp. 85-99, 2006.
- Y. S. Min & J. S. Yong, "Relationships among burden, social support and quality of life for the family caregiver of hemodialysis patients. Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing", Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 358-366, 2003.
- K. O. Lee & Y. S. Kim, "A study on the relationship between social support, burden and quality of life in intensive care unit patient's family", The Medical Journal of Chosun University, Vol. 31, No. 2, pp. 34-50, 2006.
- M. J. Hong, Y. S. Tae & M. Y. Noh, "Relationships between stress, ways of coping and burnout of family caregivers of cancer patients", Asian Oncology Nursing, Vol. 12. No. 1, pp. 92-99, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5388/aon.2012.12.1.92 https://doi.org/10.5388/aon.2012.12.1.92
- E. Y. Kim, E. Y. Shin & Y. M. Kim, "Caregiver burden and health-related quality of life among stroke caregivers", Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 5-13, 2004.
- Factors Associated with Care Burden among Family Caregivers of Terminally Ill Cancer Patients vol.19, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14475/kjhpc.2016.19.1.61