- Volume 17 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A study on performance evaluation of Apron by shielding rate and uniformity
방사선방어용앞치마(Apron)의 차폐율과 균일성 측정을 통한 성능평가 연구
- Yoo, Se-Jong (Dept. of Diagnostic Radiology, Konyang University Hospital) ;
- Lim, Chang-seon (Dept. of Radiological Science, Konyang University) ;
- Sim, Kyu-ran (Dept. of Radiological Science, Konyang University)
- Received : 2015.01.20
- Accepted : 2015.03.11
- Published : 2015.03.31
In this study, we quantitatively analyzed the data by measuring the radiation shielding rate and uniformity in order to evaluate the performance of an Apron. In addition, storage conditions were also evaluated. The uniformity measurement was performed by evaluating the Apron DICOM images using a PACS program. The experiment was intended for 51 Aprons being used in three hospitals in the Daejeon area. The radiation shielding rate and uniformity were measured per lead equivalent for 0.25 mmPb, 0.35 mmPb, and 0.5 mmPb. As a result, the higher lead equivalents were, the greater differences in the non-uniformity between the top part and the bottom part became (p=0.020). In all hospitals, regarding the non-uniformity of four places in Aprons, all showed statistically significant differences (p<0.01). The average value of the transmitted radiation dose showed less difference (p=0.005) in the bottom right than in the upper right but was statistically significant. There have been no marks of manufacturing date or the date of purchase in the Apron.
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, (2014), 2013 Report Occupational Radiation Exposure in Diagnostic Radiology in Korea, No.3.
David A. Schauer, ScD, CHP Otha W. Linton, and MSJ, (2009), "National Council on Radiation Protection and Measurements Report Shows Substantial Medical Exposure Increase.", Radiological Society of North America, Radiology, 253(2),
- Whal Lee, (2011), "Current status of medical radiation exposure and regulation efforts", J. of Korean Medical Assoc.,54(12): 1248-1252 https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2011.54.12.1248
- ICRP(2007), "Recommendations of the International Commission on Radiological Protection. Publication 103, Annals of the ICRP 137(2-4), Pergamon Press, Oxford
- KFDA, (2006), Interventional radiology radiation protection guidelines, KFDA
- S.H Kim, Y.S Park, T.I Kim, C.M Kim, and J.S, Oh, (2012), "Performance evaluation of Apron and Thyroid Protector", J. of The Korean Society of Cardio-Vascular Interventional Technology, 15(1): 110-115.
- Y.K. Kim, Y.I. Jang and J.M. Kim,(2003),"Improvement of the Shieldability and lightweight of a radiation protective apron" 26(1) : 45-50
Orhan O. and Arzu K.(2011),"How protective are the lead aprons we use against ionizing radiation?", Turkish Society of Radiology, 1-6. 28 Feb. 2015,
- W.Stam and M.Pillay(2008), "Inspection of Lead Aprons: A Practical Rejection Model", Health Phys. 95(Suppl 2):133-136. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.HP.0000314763.19226.86
- Michel R, Zorn MJ.(200), Implementation of an X-ray radiation protective equipment inspection program. Health Phys. 82:51-53.
The Korea Ministry of Health and Welfare, (2015),Diagnostic Radiology Safety Management Rules,
The Korea Ministry of Food and Drug Safety, (2014), Standard Specifications for Electronic Medical Device,
Korean Agency for Technology and Standards, (1990), KS A4025 Testing Method of Lead Equvalent for X-ray Protective Devices,
- H.J Yang, Y.S Jeon, K.C Lee, I.J Lee, S.S Lee, Jun Heo(1993), "Evaluation of Performance Test for Protective Aprons.", J of Korean Society of Radiological Technology, 16(2): 73-79.
- H.S Park, J.H Kim, J.H Lee, and J.B Seon, (2010), "Performance evaluation of Apron and Thyroid Protector", J. of The Korean Society of Cardio-Vascular Interventional Technology, 13(1): 144-151.
- J.N Song, K.W Seol, S.H Choi(2011), "A Study on protection performance of radiation protective Aprons classified by manufacturers and lead equivalent using over tube type fluoroscpy", J. of korean society of radiological science, 5(3): 135-141
- J. P. McCaffrey,aH. Shen, B. Downton, and E. Mainegra-Hing(2007),"Radiation attenuation by lead and nonlead materials used in radiation shielding garments", Med. Phys. 34(2):530-537. https://doi.org/10.1118/1.2426404